Radiohead: What's the big deal?

ITW 2012

Musically brilliant but I always thought that they, and their fans, were a shower of miserable cunts.I think their music is downright depressing and negative, reinforced by the amount of fans they have that have "issues". Recently a friend of mine who is obsessed with the band, tried to commit suicide but instead ended up paralysed for life. The other day he told me that he probably shouldn't have been listening to Radiohead given his problems with depression. I find it hard to look past that shit whenever I hear about them.

Sorry, but anyone that blames listening to a certain band for their own attempt at suicide...it ain't the music's fault. It takes a lot more to get someone to that point, not just a melancholy record or two. It's the same as when someone like Marilyn Manson gets blamed for inspiring school shootings, a crock. Radiohead's a pretty downcast sounding band, granted, and I could see why people that are depressed could enjoy them more, but they're not one and the same.

Would you say that music can effect a persons mood or behaviour, don't think? I get what you're saying but i don't think Ronnie was saying that it's the musics fault, he seemed to be saying that, y'know, the music reminds him of that and he can't get past that as opposed to he can't listen to the music of what he believes in solely responsible for the death of his friend. To be honest if music didn't effect my mood/outlook i probably wouldn't listen to it so much.

Yeah, it does, it's in fact why I like this band...they make me feel something. But I don't think a band or its fan base should be written off for it, and I guess I'm naive enough to hope that someone wouldn't let music influence such a decision. You're right though, maybe it made him think of shit he didn't want to keep thinking of and that had a part. The way I read it I kind of got that it was his friend saying that the music didn't help him with his depression, I.E. kind of implying that it did play a part, and that Ron's view of Radiohead's music was backed up by his friend's experience. Luckily you're wrong on one thing though, Ron said he's just paralyzed, not dead...as much as that has to suck, alive is better than dead. I dunno, I should stop shooting from the hip when I post and actually think shit through a little. But that wouldn't be half as fun.

And by the way, I'm not knocking Ron's friend for what he did or anything. I understand that sometimes people feel like they don't have any other out, I was kinda there myself at one point.

It's strange, I don't really listen to their discography very much, but I bought a ticket to see them in manchester purely because In Rainbows is one of the best records I've ever heard. Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Weird Fishes, Reckoner... genius.

I saw them a few years ago and it was very good. Really quite magic. I don't actually listen to them particularly often, I loved In Rainbows but think I have probably only listened to King of Limbs once or twice. I think I probably appreciate them more than I enjoy them, if that can make any sense at all.