Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Radiohead: What's the big deal?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Andrew07

Andrew07

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • 20-February 07

I completely hear ya. I liked quite a few of their songs back when In Rainbows was released. Really liked that album. But that's until I had my first Radiohead live experience. Then I barely ever listened to their albums again. When I saw the kind of fan base they have, I just couldn't be part of that. It's like they think they're some kind of intellectual music elite, as if the fact your like Radiohead makes you 'sophisticated' or 'superior'. I hated how their behaved during the concert, their claims and all, plus the concert itself was really weak. Really, really weak. After that, barely ever listened to them again. Gave 'em another shot a few months ago but just couldn't get into them anymore. Too hipster for my taste.

now i fucking love radiohead, i will rock the fuck out whenever they play and im going to see them live in a week or so, but your right about their fan base, from what i heard alot of people at their shows kinda stand around not dancing or anything just waiting for the tempo changes and what not and they think thats cool, thats the lame thing about their fan base, other then that there a great band
wounds heals all time

Chewbacca

Chewbacca

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,387 posts
  • 23-December 10
The vocals are a bit too moany for me.

I'M HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE  25jhz46.gif THIS I FEEL AS THE DAWN IT FADES TO GRAY

Guest_RonMexico82_*

Guest_RonMexico82_*
  • Guests
  • --

Sums it up perfectly.

LightningBolt

LightningBolt

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,999 posts
  • 12-December 08
Never been a big fan.

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • 37,117 posts
  • 31-March 04
I prefer Blur, they're shit but it's more of a laff. Although 13 is a masterpiece but they only bothered to be really depressing for one album, then they went to Africa and did a Paul Simon record.

Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Soul Monster, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song, Zodiac - Here comes the rain, here she comes again!

drtydane

drtydane

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • 15-February 06
I grew up to the bends and ok computer. I heard fake plastic trees on an episode of entourage this morning. That song us always going to remind me of this chick I was head over heels for in h.s. love those two albums to death tho.
"Life is all about Guns n' Roses. Bittersweet like friends n' foeses. Some get left behind, some get chosen. Just like life, Guns n' Roses..."
Jay-Z Feat. Lenny Kravitz

chevelle

chevelle

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts
  • 26-June 05

Musically brilliant but I always thought that they, and their fans, were a shower of miserable cunts.I think their music is downright depressing and negative, reinforced by the amount of fans they have that have "issues". Recently a friend of mine who is obsessed with the band, tried to commit suicide but instead ended up paralysed for life. The other day he told me that he probably shouldn't have been listening to Radiohead given his problems with depression. I find it hard to look past that shit whenever I hear about them.

Sorry, but anyone that blames listening to a certain band for their own attempt at suicide...it ain't the music's fault. It takes a lot more to get someone to that point, not just a melancholy record or two. It's the same as when someone like Marilyn Manson gets blamed for inspiring school shootings, a crock. Radiohead's a pretty downcast sounding band, granted, and I could see why people that are depressed could enjoy them more, but they're not one and the same.

My 8-Bit Music. My Vinyl Collection.
Posted Image
November 5th, 2006 - Continental Airlines Arena

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,646 posts
  • 09-March 08

I have all of their albums, yet I rarely ever listen to them. What's the big deal about this band? They definitely aren't in the same league as Pink Floyd.

been wondering the same thing i find them vastly overrated, they are not even playing the same game as pink floyd

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

username

username

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 21,670 posts
  • 08-January 04

I have all of their albums, yet I rarely ever listen to them. What's the big deal about this band? They definitely aren't in the same league as Pink Floyd.

I have none, but I have wondered this for year. I just don't get the fuss about them.
And no, definitely not in the same league as Pink Floyd.
But then again, only a few bands that have ever existed are.
Three hour meeting starts NOW!!!

Guest_Len B'stard_*

Guest_Len B'stard_*
  • Guests
  • --

Musically brilliant but I always thought that they, and their fans, were a shower of miserable cunts.I think their music is downright depressing and negative, reinforced by the amount of fans they have that have "issues". Recently a friend of mine who is obsessed with the band, tried to commit suicide but instead ended up paralysed for life. The other day he told me that he probably shouldn't have been listening to Radiohead given his problems with depression. I find it hard to look past that shit whenever I hear about them.

Sorry, but anyone that blames listening to a certain band for their own attempt at suicide...it ain't the music's fault. It takes a lot more to get someone to that point, not just a melancholy record or two. It's the same as when someone like Marilyn Manson gets blamed for inspiring school shootings, a crock. Radiohead's a pretty downcast sounding band, granted, and I could see why people that are depressed could enjoy them more, but they're not one and the same.

Would you say that music can effect a persons mood or behaviour, don't think? I get what you're saying but i don't think Ronnie was saying that it's the musics fault, he seemed to be saying that, y'know, the music reminds him of that and he can't get past that as opposed to he can't listen to the music of what he believes in solely responsible for the death of his friend. To be honest if music didn't effect my mood/outlook i probably wouldn't listen to it so much.

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • 37,117 posts
  • 31-March 04
Identifying with music is different to it effecting you. That can be more dangerous. Most people gravitate towards themselves. That's where it could go wrong I reckon.

Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Soul Monster, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song, Zodiac - Here comes the rain, here she comes again!

Kid A

Kid A

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • 04-November 11
Radiohead is amazing, and one of the best bands of our lifetime.

Definitely can't compare them to Pink Floyd, dunno why the OP made that comparison.

Personally I enjoy Radiohead more than Floyd anyways.

'It's good to have you with us, even if it's just for today.'
|November 15th 2011, Rosemont Illinois|

RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • 16-October 11
Different eras yet just as innovative as you can possibly get to Floyd these days.

'I bought me an illusion and I put it on the wall, I let it fill my head with dreams and had to have them all.'

''You're a very sexy girl who's very hard to please, you can taste the bright lights but you won't get them f- GIVE ME THE FUCKING BALL!!!!'' - Axl, Roskilde Festival 06

JKKDARK

JKKDARK

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • 15-May 05
Radiohead. Big fan until their lead singer claimed he hated Guns N' Roses.
Posted Image

RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • 16-October 11
Who cares if he doesn't like Guns. Yorke really went off at an interviewer when he suggested they played rock music :rofl-lol: Don't see why he's bothered, rock usually pushes boundaries. Also hasn't Axl been backstage at a Radiohead show?

'I bought me an illusion and I put it on the wall, I let it fill my head with dreams and had to have them all.'

''You're a very sexy girl who's very hard to please, you can taste the bright lights but you won't get them f- GIVE ME THE FUCKING BALL!!!!'' - Axl, Roskilde Festival 06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users