Forum Restructure

highvoltage

Hey Guys,

You'll notice we've started shuffling some forums around - however none have been closed or removed yet.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on which forums could or should be removed, whether you want to see new sections or whether we just need less.

If there is a consensus on some points, we'll probably try it and see how it goes.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "GUNS N' ROSES CONCERTS" section and all of it's sub-sections should be removed forever. No one uses them anymore, all discussion about shows go in the "DISCUSSION & NEWS" section now. Also, the "DISCUSS THE BAND VELVET REVOLVER" section should be removed too, as they are not really a band going on right now. Maybe move all discussion about them into the Former Gunners section for now. If they decide to come back and release another album, then add the section back if you think it's necessary at the time.

Also, maybe get someone who can do a little bit of better moderating in the DOWNLOADS section. This thread has been there for a while now:

Also, officially released material that's been there for quite some time now too:

Also, maybe change the name of "MEMORABILIA TRADING" and it's description to add more about how the section is for interesting eBay listings, personal collections, and all that jazz.

Also, maybe make it so this section can go back to not just being for TECHNICAL support. People have the right to know why their thread was moved or deleted, and PMing a mod hardly ever works in that situation.

Also, maybe get rid of the DON'T DAMN ME section. Let people start polls in whatever sections they want to, as long as they are relevant.

Guest gunns5

if I could insert a little request into this thread ;?

increase forum sig size limits and add this emotion please: CoolFace.png

Edited by gunns5

Not sure how much this fits in with "structure" as such, but this seemed as good a place as any to post this. Is there a way of making the search function work for material over a year old? It kinda sucks that we can only access our posts and threads from the last 365 days... Particularly given the influx of older members this restructuring's going to bring about.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I like the subsections idea for the GNR stuff. I'd put UYI there as well. And have a members picture thread in Anything Goes, as well as the Bust a Gut thread. I think that might help Anything Goes to go back in activity and lots of people that never visit those threads would do if this was done.

I would want to have the solo sections organised the same way they have on this forum: http://www.thegnrforum.com/

Like this:

Section: Side Projects & Solo Work

Subsections: • Old Gunners • New Gunners • Velvet Revolver

I'd get rid of the past concerts sections for the same reasons as Dead Flower's mentioned. It takes forever to scroll through all of that.

I would delete the promotion section as well. As well as the fans questions to Axl and the band. That section has no purpose. I would probably merge Don't Damn Me with the D&N section as well. And merge Reunion and Original and call it Yesterdays again.

Not sure how much this fits in with "structure" as such, but this seemed as good a place as any to post this. Is there a way of making the search function work for material over a year old? It kinda sucks that we can only access our posts and threads from the last 365 days... Particularly given the influx of older members this restructuring's going to bring about.

If you search on your own name as the author, you get access to posts older than one year. ;)

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I like the subsections idea for the GNR stuff. I'd put UYI there as well. And have a members picture thread in Anything Goes, as well as the Bust a Gut thread. I think that might help Anything Goes to go back in activity and lots of people that never visit those threads would do if this was done.

I would want to have the solo sections organised the same way they have on this forum: http://www.thegnrforum.com/

Like this:

I'd get rid of the past concerts sections for the same reasons as Dead Flower's mentioned. It takes forever to scroll through all of that.

If you search on your own name as the author, you get access to posts older than one year. ;)

Just tried that, but it only gave me my posts for the last year still...

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

Find Author: Graeme (for example)

Then you just search and it go 40 pages back.

You have to search for a word if you want to get further back.

Edit: Nevermind, it didn't work. Weird. It always worked like that before.

Edit 2: Yeah, it seems like you have to use a word to search. If you do that, you get access to older posts.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I've often thought about a current members' solo projects section. Might not be the most high-traffic section, but it would de-clutter D&N a bit ;)

Yeah, like I said, I like it the way we have it on the other forum like this:

I've often thought about a current members' solo projects section. Might not be the most high-traffic section, but it would de-clutter D&N a bit ;)

THIS!

Except I'd maybe call it ex-gunners and current gunners.

For example, Buckethead is generally considered "new" guns (2000 onward) but still an ex member.

Just merge the two VR subforums we have now. They're useless now that VR is pretty much inactive.

But definitely THIS.

Edited by username

I'm curious what your thoughts are

shirtless photos of sexy forum admins plz.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/398096_744445893125_82408895_35553750_563398983_n.jpg

:lol: Love it.

Either way, a streamlining process where you have fewer forums/subforums would make it easier, to both moderate and for generally viewing/finding threads. Some clarity with regards to that may reduce the incessant repetition of certain topics and threads, and keeps the most pertinent stuff in the most appropriate section.

Yea, exactly what I was thinking...dunno how I missed your post on it :P