Forum Restructure

highvoltage

A couple of small suggestions:

1. There are definitely too many sub-forums (IMO). I'll leave you to sort it out, but I have always preferred an expanded "Discussion & News" section, and less sub-forums, though of course there are several no brainers there that should remain.

2. I'd like to see avatars enlarged from 64x64 to 100x100.

3. Please keep the deleting of posts and threads to a bare minimum.

4. Can someone please talk to Axl Rose about releasing some new music?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. There are definitely too many sub-forums (IMO). I'll leave you to sort it out, but I have always preferred an expanded "Discussion & News" section, and less sub-forums, though of course there are several no brainers there that should remain.

I agree with all these points (including the fourth of course).

I'd almost say delete the following forums, or at least condense them down:

- Axl Rose chats/questions (keep the Axl chat threads of course, but maybe that could go in an "Archives" forum or something, just for a log)

- The "Forum Members Questions to Band Members" as it has yet to actually be used by the band members, wouldn't hurt to lose it

- The "GNR Promotion" subforum is barely active, any topics of that sort could easily fit into Discussion & News and seem to wind up there anyways

- As I mentioned before, I'd like to see all the individual concert subforums deleted from past tours and just merge those topics into a single subforum for each tour (ie. Instead of having a subforum for the Toronto 2006 show among all the rest, just move those topics into "The 2006 Tour" forum in general to save all this subforum clutter)

As for other changes:

- Clean up the FAQ section a little bit, often the answers link to really old threads (like the Live Era re-recordings one) so it'd be nice to update those questions, add some more, maybe open some discussion in there too. I'd be willing to help write/rewrite the FAQ topics too. I like that kind of thing. ;)

- Have a section for Slash's solo stuff with Myles as well as a section to discuss side projects of the current band members, so instead of the heading "Forum Gunners (Velvet Revolver)" call the list of forums "Other Projects" or something similar and keep the Former Gunners section, the Velvet Revolver section, and add the Slash/Myles section as well as a current members section. Additionally, I think those should be bumped above the concerts forums so the "Other Projects" directly follows "Main Guns N' Roses"

- As I mentioned before, I'd like to see all the individual concert subforums deleted from past tours and just merge those topics into a single subforum for each tour (ie. Instead of having a subforum for the Toronto 2006 show among all the rest, just move those topics into "The 2006 Tour" forum in general to save all this subforum clutter)

I like this suggestion for dealing with the concert subforums... seems the most logical.

Thanks for all these suggestions guys, keep them coming if you have any more. :)

- Axl Rose chats/questions (keep the Axl chat threads of course, but maybe that could go in an "Archives" forum or something, just for a log)

- The "Forum Members Questions to Band Members" as it has yet to actually be used by the band members, wouldn't hurt to lose it

- The "GNR Promotion" subforum is barely active, any topics of that sort could easily fit into Discussion & News and seem to wind up there anyways

As for other changes:

- Clean up the FAQ section a little bit, often the answers link to really old threads (like the Live Era re-recordings one) so it'd be nice to update those questions, add some more, maybe open some discussion in there too. I'd be willing to help write/rewrite the FAQ topics too. I like that kind of thing. ;)

- Have a section for Slash's solo stuff with Myles as well as a section to discuss side projects of the current band members, so instead of the heading "Forum Gunners (Velvet Revolver)" call the list of forums "Other Projects" or something similar and keep the Former Gunners section, the Velvet Revolver section, and add the Slash/Myles section as well as a current members section. Additionally, I think those should be bumped above the concerts forums so the "Other Projects" directly follows "Main Guns N' Roses"

Agree with everything. Plus, I think members should be able to get banned from an specific forum section, not the forum itself. For example, if a member acts perfectly in the main GnR section but cupcakes the Former Gunner section, than member should get banned from posting at that specific section.

I think members should be able to get banned from an specific forum section, not the forum itself. For example, if a member acts perfectly in the main GnR section but trolls the Former Gunner section, than member should get banned from posting at that specific section.

Not a bad idea

Not a bad idea in theory, but it's a lot to maintain. I think we should just be able to ask members to avoid particular areas and they should just be kind enough to do that.. :lol:

I think members should be able to get banned from an specific forum section, not the forum itself. For example, if a member acts perfectly in the main GnR section but cupcakes the Former Gunner section, than member should get banned from posting at that specific section.

Not a bad idea

Not a bad idea in theory, but it's a lot to maintain. I think we should just be able to ask members to avoid particular areas and they should just be kind enough to do that.. :lol:

Step away from the pipe bro :tongue2:

I think members should be able to get banned from an specific forum section, not the forum itself. For example, if a member acts perfectly in the main GnR section but trolls the Former Gunner section, than member should get banned from posting at that specific section.

Not a bad idea

Step away from the pipe bro :tongue2:

Ha, yeah.... should probably do that.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but warn levels have now been zeroed and members who were still banned should try now.. :)

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Maybe this isn't the right topic for it, but is it possible to bring back the gender tag and the location of the member, so that you see it beside the post? I like that feature. Especially now after I returned when I barely recognize half of the posters. Lots of new people with less than 1000 posts.

As for other changes:

Agree with everything. Plus, I think members should be able to get banned from an specific forum section, not the forum itself. For example, if a member acts perfectly in the main GnR section but cupcakes the Former Gunner section, than member should get banned from posting at that specific section.

+1

Seems to me things going nicely in the future :thumbsup:

i would like to see the Other Than English sub back.... Madison nixed it back in the day.

considering GN'R seems to have a huge number of die-hard fans left in spain in particular (based on how active my facebook news feed is with random spanish people tagging bandmembers in photos...) that might not be a bad idea.

Guest Broskirose

Suggestion

When a corrupt government is overthrown you don't just let them walk. I say we hold public trials for Montrealer and Gunsguy. The crimes they committed are fairly well known and they deserve a trial where the people decide their fate. Many have been victims of their cruel and unnessesary abuse of power. For years (and especially in recent times), they have terrorized the fandom. People have dissapeared without a trace - never to see their beloved online friends again. Such acts of agression against the GNR community should not go unpunished.

We can vote on the main prosecuter for each defendant in polls and they can gather evidence with assistance of whoever they want, and make the case for whatever punishment they see fit. Regulations can be put in place to assure they recieve a fair trial. Propaganda used to unfairly sway the public will not be allowed. Only facts and evidence can be presented. Witnesses and victims of alleged crimes may present testimonys. The defendants can tell their side of the story as well and use whatever means deemed fair by the forum staff. Create a seperate poll and close it after a month or so. In the poll put up options for "No punishment", "1 week suspension", "1 month suspension", "1 year suspension", "ban", "ip ban (death sentence of forums)" etc, whatever. IP's can be checked to assure that no one votes multiple times using other accounts. At the end of the set time period, the option with the majority of votes becomes the fate of the defendants.

We are in revolutionary times my brothers. Finally, the corrupt have fallen. And the people whom they have oppressed now have the opportunity for closure. Let's show them fairness they failed to show other's. Let's show them justice.

clenched_fist.jpg

I'm semi-trolling. I just think this would be hilarious and entertaining.

Guest Gunns

People have been mentioning it in the Announcement thread, but I do think the Avatar size should be increased, at least. And possibly the signature, as well.

We'll see what we can do, I suppose :)

agreed, I think the signature limits is just the restrictions enforced by the rules, and nothing to do with the forum software, though I may be wrong.

Forum sigs should definitely be improved, the current restrictions aren't that good for displaying decent image quality or dimensions.

We'll increase avatar sizes shortly.

As for sigs - the size limit will probably increase (to say, 60-80kb or something). I'm OK with the width increasing slightly - but I wouldn't want the height increased beyond say.... 175 pixels. Too disruptive scrolling through topics if people have gigantic signatures, that's all.

Guest Gunns

We'll increase avatar sizes shortly.

As for sigs - the size limit will probably increase (to say, 60-80kb or something). I'm OK with the width increasing slightly - but I wouldn't want the height increased beyond say.... 175 pixels. Too disruptive scrolling through topics if people have gigantic signatures, that's all.

thank's for the increased allowance, give's us a bit more freedom without having to modify it too much :)

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

What is it? Just a test account?

Oh, by the way, I want to be able to delete comments I make on other people's profiles. Can that be done?

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

What is it? Just a test account?

Oh, by the way, I want to be able to delete comments I make on other people's profiles. Can that be done

I actually didn't realize you couldn't -- I didn't post much when I was at member status. I'll add it to the list of things to look into.

It's no test account... OP-1 is the true overlord of mygnrforum. He'd probably be offended if he knew you were referring to him as a "test" account...