Is BBF too "nice"/Generic for New GN'R?

Vincent Vega

I think he's being wasted in GnR. He is way too good and creative to be playing mostly other people's music.

That much is true.

However, he's nowhere near generic.

Maybe he looks "generic", as in "normal", but his playing is extremely far from generic and I'm sorry for those who can't hear it because it's really obvious...

Truth be told, out of all GnR guitarists, he's the one whose playing relies the less on patterns, the only one who ventures into microtonality, and the only one who has invented techniques of his own with Buckethead so I hardly see how his playing is generic... :violin:

This BBF is drastically different to over 90% of 'shredders'

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

i think it's important to guard against a tendency to take the few interviews and insights into famous peoples personalities that we have and then making character judgements on them. Just because BBF acts like a nice guy or is a nice guy in interviews don't mean he's like that in his kitchen, y'know what i mean? I mean, they're media interviews, obviously you know, you answer their questions and deal with them with that in mind.

I don't think any famous persons attendant stereotype is an accurate reflection of what they're actually like and it's foolish to do so, human beings are brilliant complex varied beings and you do them a disservice by labelling them "nice" Bumble and "crazy" Axl or "Loony" Keith Moon. There's an element of truth to them i'm sure but honestly, musicians should be judged first and foremost by what kind of a racket they make, the end and the rest is bullshit cuz quite frankly, you don't know them as people, you ain't GONNA know them as people and also, when a band gets to the status that GnR are at now, they badass bit goes out the window and, hopefully, musically speaking, the rubber really hits the road cuz the music has to stand on it's own, without the attendant image bullshit.

LOL @ this thread. BBF is the coolest guy in the band. GnR needs someone like him. They've had too much junkies, ex-junkies, alternative/strange members and nice-in-front-of-the-cameras guys. Time for the genuine nice guy to step in.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I personally think that he is the best guitarist that this band has ever had.

For pure technical brilliance I'd take Bucket but as a fit for GnR nobody can ever replace Slash. I love Ron and he's an undeniably brilliant player but I think he is lacking a certain something that makes the difference between a talented musician and an honest to god rock star.

Yes he's too nice. Generic isnt really the word though - he's more unassertive, vague and jazzy. GNR demands a rock god. Ashba has some cheesy personality appeal but lacks the chops/talent. Richard is almost there but not quite straightforward enough. He doesnt possess a distinct sound. Tone, maybe, but not sound. Rock gods are...Page, G. Moore, A. Young, K. Richards, P. Townshend, J. Perry, Hendrix obviously, the guy with the top hat, Buckethead mysteriously. With all those guys an immediate sound or sequence of notes comes to mind. Can you do that with any of GNR's guitarists today? None of the GNR guys have that except maybe Ashba, whose stuff is distinct (ly weak). Hell, he made Motley Crue sound weaker, so there's little hope for him in GNR except maybe as a rhythm guitar player. Songwriter?? For GNR?! Yikes!

Edited by Eu4ic

Bumblefoot is to GNR guitar playing what Myles Kennedy is to vocals.

Incredibly talented, really nice humble guy, hits all the notes, but is generally rather generic sounding with no real rock n' roll swagger.

In my opinion BBF seems like the nicest guy you could ever meet. But, whenever I look at him I just see this guy has no personality or stage presence. He is so boring to watch live, it's almost unbelievable he has landed a gig in one of the biggest bands. I just look at him and I can't help to think, wow what a dork. I mean everything is just wrong and seems silly.... His weirdo foot guitar, his other strange guitar choices, his whole bearded monk look, his complete and utter awkwardness on stage and even his nickname "BBF" just leaves me scratching my head about the guy and wtf is he doing in GNR. I do feel somewhat like I shouldn't say these things about him as, like I said, he seems like a great guy. It's just that he comes off as a complete weirdo to me. I'm surprised so many fans have clung to him (I guess because he communicates a lot) because he just seems like such a dry personality. When he performs he stands in the same spot the whole show like a cardboard cutout. I'm sure he is a great session player but should not be on tour as a lead guitarist in a mega band like this. Sorry guys, but that's the truth.

That's your truth.

You'd basically prefer someone who is an inferior guitarist, moves more, and looks cooler to be "the" lead guitarist ?

Well, DJ Ashba does that and...well...

EDIT : the sad truth is that there are not many people who can replace Buckethead, and there are even less of them who can do that acting like they don't care while jumping off the PA speakers, a lit cigarette between their lips, and looking fresher than UYI Axl Rose.

If such a guitarist existed, we'd know about him already.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

In my opinion BBF seems like the nicest guy you could ever meet. But, whenever I look at him I just see this guy has no personality or stage presence. He is so boring to watch live, it's almost unbelievable he has landed a gig in one of the biggest bands. I just look at him and I can't help to think, wow what a dork. I mean everything is just wrong and seems silly.... His weirdo foot guitar, his other strange guitar choices, his whole bearded monk look, his complete and utter awkwardness on stage and even his nickname "BBF" just leaves me scratching my head about the guy and wtf is he doing in GNR. I do feel somewhat like I shouldn't say these things about him as, like I said, he seems like a great guy. It's just that he comes off as a complete weirdo to me. I'm surprised so many fans have clung to him (I guess because he communicates a lot) because he just seems like such a dry personality. When he performs he stands in the same spot the whole show like a cardboard cutout. I'm sure he is a great session player but should not be on tour as a lead guitarist in a mega band like this. Sorry guys, but that's the truth.

Yes, yes, let's make the injured guy move about the stage some more. :rolleyes:

Cop out. He's never moved, even before the injury.

Cop out. He's never moved, even before the injury.

No one moves less than Buckethead. No one's got a bigger poker face during the whole concert than Buckethead (for obvious reasons). Slash isn't a very energetic guy on stage too. But it's not really relevant since DJ and Richard have great stage presence.

That's your truth.

You'd basically prefer someone who is an inferior guitarist, moves more, and looks cooler to be "the" lead guitarist ?

Well, DJ Ashba does that and...well...

EDIT : the sad truth is that there are not many people who can replace Buckethead, and there are even less of them who can do that acting like they don't care while jumping off the PA speakers, a lit cigarette between their lips, and looking fresher than UYI Axl Rose.

If such a guitarist existed, we'd know about him already.

The mere fact you think DJ looks cool, pretty much destroys any credibility you hold. Sorry, can't take anything you say serious now. Yes he moves more, and yes he is clearly an inferior guitarist. Glad you are observant enough to notice that. I've never seen a guitarist in a bar band make as many mistakes as him.

Gilby was pretty generic and no one knows if he was any good yet he gets less shit than any guitarist :shrugs:

Its pretty obvious that standards are very different for certain posters when judging everything pre-94 and everything now. Dont expect logic to be the strong point of such threads.

With the recent mass influx of previously banned members, the forum looks so different that one would imagine that in one day's time, current GN'R got stricken with some horrible condition which made them the worst band ever in history. :rolleyes:

I think he's being wasted in GnR. He is way too good and creative to be playing mostly other people's music.

That much is true.

However, he's nowhere near generic.

Maybe he looks "generic", as in "normal", but his playing is extremely far from generic and I'm sorry for those who can't hear it because it's really obvious...

Truth be told, out of all GnR guitarists, he's the one whose playing relies the less on patterns, the only one who ventures into microtonality, and the only one who has invented techniques of his own with Buckethead so I hardly see how his playing is generic... :violin:

This.

I just think his tone isn't as heavy as Bucket's tone. I really think a thicker set of strings would sound better with Bumble. When he plays with his fretless with wah its way cooler IMHO.

BBF's great.

Since joininig the band he has really hit the mark with the songs and the fans.

I don't think GN'R are the most dangerous band in the world anymore; they are a group of great musicians who are also good people.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004