Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why Izzy Stradlin was the coolest member of Guns N' Roses...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Highway Zero

Highway Zero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • 10-May 12
Why Izzy Stradlin is the coolest member of Guns N' Roses....

....IMHO....

-Well first off, he really started the band with Axl, although Axl coined the name. Without Izzy N' Axl the band would have never gotten off the ground.

-He and Axl were responsible for the marjority of the songwriting.

-He added a great 2nd voice to G N' R and a purist rock n' roll attitude.

-Even though he might have been (arguably) the most talented member of the band and probably had the coolest look, he never sought the spotlight.

-He quit the band at the perfect time, just after the UYI albums and before all the over-the-top videos & bloated live shows with horns & backup singers. He went out right when the band were at their commercial and critical peak, which must have been a tough decision...but probably wise in retrospect.

-He put out his first solo album only a year after leaving the band. And he has continued to put out albums consistantly (I think 11 in all) over the last 20 years. He puts them out independently with little consideration of any commercial success (Although to be fair, he is worth around 28 million according to reports I've read, which is pretty cool too ). Most of the stuff I've heard is very enjoyable Stonesy rock n' roll. He is a "Keith" type of singer for the most part, but he also reminds me of Tom Petty at times. Listening to all these songs he put out, it is easy to see why things were never the same after he left GNR. Although, occassionally I'll listen to an Izzy tune and think, "Wow, this would sound even better if Axl was singing it."

-He is a great rhythm guitar player. An art for that is usually unsung in rock n' roll. Not only was his interplay with Slash great, he and Rick Richards (former Lead Guitarist for the Georgia Satellites) together give Keef & Ronnie a run for their money. They are probably actually better than their idols these days. Hard to believe they have been playing together for 20 years.

-He remains friends with all the original members of GNR. He usually stays out of the spotlight, but when he wants to experience some of the old glory, he can jump on stage with Axl's GNR or Velvet Revolver for a few tunes whenever he pleases (I think he has guested with Axl a good 15-20 times since he left the band).

-He kicked drugs & alcohol around the time he left Guns and, AFAIK, he has remained sober (He turned 50 last month).

-He didn't show up to the RNRHOF, but was appreciative and made no fuss about it.

-Let's see, a multi-millionaire rock star who still makes music because he loves it and answers to nobody, doesn't care about commercial success, remains pretty much anonymous but can jump on an arena stage whenever he wants. I'm guessing he's done alright with the ladies as well.

-Forget GNR, he might be the coolest rock star period!

His solo albums are well worth investigating. Here is a discography....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izzy_Stradlin_discography

WhazUp

WhazUp

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,698 posts
  • 29-February 08
I saw this post a while back at the Steve Hoffman forum: http://www.stevehoff...ad.php?t=283047

Edited by WhazUp, 21 May 2012 - 12:46 AM.

MEXzilla

MEXzilla

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • 16-May 12
I think it's Axl man that guy basically is rock n roll and truly the last great frontman. I think tho that izzy and slash are just fucking badass and really the writing of their music was a band thing and the songwriting was manly Axl and some songs was from izzy/duff. But still the band is fucking the coolest band ever and still the mos dangerous band in the fucking planet

Alan Niveen

Alan Niveen

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts
  • 18-May 05
Izzy is completely overrated by Guns fans. Without Slash and Axl his work is really mediocre, and sometimes even bad.
IZZY, SLASH, AXL, DUFF, STEVEN & MATT ARE IN THE HOF AS GUNS N'ROSES. SUCK ON THAT !

Chinaski

Chinaski

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • 14-January 12
I think the Ju Ju Hounds record is especially fantastic, and given how little the rest of the guys achieved in the time it took him to get it out makes the difference all the more marked.

pmue.png

Highway Zero

Highway Zero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • 10-May 12

I saw this post a while back at the Steve Hoffman forum: http://www.stevehoff...ad.php?t=283047

Yes. I wrote it.

Izzy is completely overrated by Guns fans. Without Slash and Axl his work is really mediocre, and sometimes even bad.

Considering Axl & Izzy started the band, I wouldn't say he is overrated. They also wrote the most material of the classic lineup if you calculate it out.

The same thing you are saying about Izzy's solo work you can say about Slash's. Outside of GNR & VR, I don't think much of his solo stuff.

I like Izzy's voice, guitar playing & his songwriting, so I do like most of his solo stuff. I will admit that at times I wish there was a bit more diversity, but that is only because he has so many albums out. He does mix it up every now and then. He does the occassional reggae tune, he put out an acoustic album. Most of his stuff is based on that Stones/Dolls sound, but that's what he does...and he does it well. He also streches out a bit with some Petty-esque singing & songwriting at times.

The thing I admire the most about him is that he makes music just because he loves doing it. He could care less about commercial success. He could easily put together an all-star band or make a "guest artists" album like Slash did to get more attention, but he doesn't care about that. He was actually in VR in it's infantcy, but bailed when they wanted to get a lead singer and become an arena act.

The guy is prolific though. Since '92 he has put out 11 albums. Axl has put out 1...well 2 if you count The Spaghetti Incident.

Edited by Highway Zero, 21 May 2012 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users