Does Axl care anymore?

Vincent Vega

Because of the lack of news about another album, or the lack of any word about any other material, some have questioned whether Axl has lost his creativity--Whether the well has run dry for him. i think a more important question to ask, which could tell us why Axl doesn't talk about new music, is: Does Axl care anymore? Does he have any passion, fire, drive, or motivation for music anymore--Is music something which gets his "juices flowing", or simply a chore he'd rather not do?

What does he have to say, and what does he have to prove to people? All of Axl's work always had a purpose, a meaning--Axl had something to prove, something to say, some point that had to be made and goddamnit he was going to make it, regardless of who he offended in the process. But does he have anything to prove, to himself or anyone anymore? Does he have any point he wants to make? As a rockstar at 50, whose life is very boring and content who has settled into a routine and who is used to fame, fortune and getting everything he wants all the time, what is there around him to inspire him?

AFD was born out of being an angry, hungry, confused, poor Indiana kid living on the streets of the big city of LA, who wanted the spotlights, glory, power, fortune and fame--The poor punk kid who wanted to get out of the ghetto. The UYIs were born out of a guy dealing with going from being a nobody who was bullied in school to being the biggest and most listened to rockstar in the planet overnight, his various personal, mental and emotional issues, the stuff he was learning about himself and his life and his past, his love and experiences up to that time, and a whole host of other factors. CD's statement was that he had a side of the story to tell, and also that he could go it alone, as the "last man standing" in Guns N' Roses, and also about the sorrows and disappointments in his life and the women who left him in the years prior. But what is there now to inspire him?

And to get back to the main point, does he really care anymore, care enough to do the hardwork of being a musician, creating new material? Or has he settled into a comfortable sort of stasis--settled into middle age and into a routine where he really doesn't feel the passion or hunger or drive anymore? More to the point, where he doesn't HAVE to feel the drive, in order to survive.

The answer to that question, I think, more than anything else, will tell us if we'll ever get another album.

It's not a question of creativity; If Axl wanted, he could easily sit down and write about a bunch of made up shit--Like Aerosmith and the Stones do--and pump out easy, fun rock like that. That option, writing fictional, glorious rock fairy tales, was always there--but very seldom used in Guns, all of their songs having at least one foot grounded in truth. But it's never been truly fun for Axl, and he's always taken music too seriously--So does he have the drive, ambition, or desire to sit down and let whatever feelings he has loose, to go to that emotional place which makes him create and pull from it?

Does he care?

Edited by Clark Gable

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's just way to sensitive to criticism and with the relative failure of Chinese he's in no rush to push forward.

We know he takes criticism hard because

1. he reacts so extremely when criticised.

2. even back in the old days he talked about reading all sorts of magazine articles about GNR and took it to heart.

3. He doesn't release music even though he has so much.

Maybe he cares. He definitely values art still, I'd say. But the pressure, the critics, the changing roster from his original vision, etc.... it's too much. This GNR will never record an album.

Because of the lack of news about another album, or the lack of any word about any other material, some have questioned whether Axl has lost his creativity--Whether the well has run dry for him. i think a more important question to ask, which could tell us why Axl doesn't talk about new music, is: Does Axl care anymore? Does he have any passion, fire, drive, or motivation for music anymore--Is music something which gets his "juices flowing", or simply a chore he'd rather not do?

What does he have to say, and what does he have to prove to people? All of Axl's work always had a purpose, a meaning--Axl had something to prove, something to say, some point that had to be made and goddamnit he was going to make it, regardless of who he offended in the process. But does he have anything to prove, to himself or anyone anymore? Does he have any point he wants to make? As a rockstar at 50, whose life is very boring and content who has settled into a routine and who is used to fame, fortune and getting everything he wants all the time, what is there around him to inspire him?

AFD was born out of being an angry, hungry, confused, poor Indiana kid living on the streets of the big city of LA, who wanted the spotlights, glory, power, fortune and fame--The poor punk kid who wanted to get out of the ghetto. The UYIs were born out of a guy dealing with going from being a nobody who was bullied in school to being the biggest and most listened to rockstar in the planet overnight, his various personal, mental and emotional issues, the stuff he was learning about himself and his life and his past, his love and experiences up to that time, and a whole host of other factors. CD's statement was that he had a side of the story to tell, and also that he could go it alone, as the "last man standing" in Guns N' Roses, and also about the sorrows and disappointments in his life and the women who left him in the years prior. But what is there now to inspire him?

And to get back to the main point, does he really care anymore, care enough to do the hardwork of being a musician, creating new material? Or has he settled into a comfortable sort of stasis--settled into middle age and into a routine where he really doesn't feel the passion or hunger or drive anymore? More to the point, where he doesn't HAVE to feel the drive, in order to survive.

The answer to that question, I think, more than anything else, will tell us if we'll ever get another album.

It's not a question of creativity; If Axl wanted, he could easily sit down and write about a bunch of made up shit--Like Aerosmith and the Stones do--and pump out easy, fun rock like that. That option, writing fictional, glorious rock fairy tales, was always there--but very seldom used in Guns, all of their songs having at least one foot grounded in truth. But it's never been truly fun for Axl, and he's always taken music too seriously--So does he have the drive, ambition, or desire to sit down and let whatever feelings he has loose, to go to that emotional place which makes him create and pull from it?

Does he care?

Why would he be touring with huge stage productions all over the world and putting on 3 hour shows if he didnt care? Just because we havent heard new songs this tour doesnt mean Axl doesnt care.

I dont think the issue is caring when it comes to new music. Axl is in a very difficult situation, people come to see GnR because of the back catalog. playing new music whether unreleased or not instead of classics will not go over well to the majority of the concert goers. IMO i think it is best not to play unreleased songs if they do not have a "set" album release date. Things work differently in Axl's world so i wouldnt take anything he does as a lack of caring.

If he didn't care about GNR he'd have done a cash grab reunion with long gone members years ago.

only in the opposite world of forumland can an opinion like this exist.

to most people, reuniting the band and performing the music people want to hear would be considered a caring thing to do. soldering on with this failed experiment would strike most sensible people as celebration of selfish futility worthy of a werner herzog movie.

If he didn't care about GNR he'd have done a cash grab reunion with long gone members years ago.

to most people, reuniting the band and performing the music people want to hear would be considered a caring thing to do. soldering on with this failed experiment would strike most sensible people as celebration of selfish futility worthy of a werner herzog movie.

It's funny how people so driven by how much Axl doesn't care, care so much about how he doesn't 'care'.

Does he care?

The real question is...do we care about cupcake posts anymore?

Nope.

Go away cupcake.

It's funny how people so driven by how much Axl doesn't care, care so much about how he doesn't 'care'.

it's funny how you consider posting a few things here before i get out of bed and/or masturbate to be 'caring.' i can promise you, it's the opposite of that. it's just mild amusement.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

write this down

Axl cares about putting as much money away as possible while he is still somewhat relative and doesnt look ridiculous on stage as he is smart enough to realize he

doesnt want to look like an idiot like Mick Jaggar running around in spandex in his sixties

Axl cares that he is surrounded by people that he can have some fun with while touring this beautiful planet staying in 5 star hotels eating good food and playing some music a few nights a week,

while the hired help sets up and takes down his stages and magically makes them reappear at the next venue.

Axl cares about not having to worry that someone in his entourage is going to get loose lips and say something stupid, which is why he has WHO he has, in his band now

Axl doesnt care if you get another CD, ever.

The negative response, that some of you met the last one with has probably furthered his already hard ass fuck you attitude on the subject.

Does he have some tunes recorded? sure he does

Does he have some creativity left in him to record some more? sure he does

But Axl probably cares more about Axl than he does anything else more and more as time goes by.

so sit back and relax, if you get a chance to attend a show, suggest you do it.

because he could pull the plug on the whole gig at a moments notice

and disappear into the hills of Malibu to do whatever he wants to do with his days in his multi million dollar gated complex,

and dont be surprised if he does

and anyone that has followed Axl over the years should know all of this already

it's funny how you consider posting a few things here before i get out of bed and/or masturbate to be 'caring.' i can promise you, it's the opposite of that. it's just mild amusement.

It's wierd that you amuse yourself by 'caring' to think things such as what Axl thinks before getting out of the bed and/or masturbating...

my posts have less to do with caring about what axl thinks than they do being amused by what weirdos like you think. but don't worry, it'll get old again. unless of course, axl manages to release music again. but who am i kidding? it's not like he's a musician or anything.

but please, go on telling me about how much axl 'cares.' shit like this is endlessly funny to me...

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

my posts have less to do with caring about what axl thinks than they do being amused by what weirdos like you think. but don't worry, it'll get old again. unless of course, axl manages to release music again. but who am i kidding? it's not like he's a musician or anything.

but please, go on telling me about how much axl 'cares.' shit like this is endlessly funny to me...

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but you left those goal posts wide open.

Edited by The Archer

ha ha... dude, don't worry one bit about hurting my feelings. i promise you, it's not even the most remote possibility.

please tell me more about how much axl cares though. i think it's really interesting to hear your interpretation. what does he care about? his music? you?

ha ha... dude, don't worry one bit about hurting my feelings. i promise you, it's not even the most remote possibility.

please tell me more about how much axl cares though. i think it's really interesting to hear your interpretation. what does he care about? his music? you?

He very likely would care very little for your morning ritual ;)

It has to be said...Get a fuckin' life dude (and maybe a girlfriend OR boyfriend). You're just a little cupcake and nobody gives a fuck what you think about Axl or GNR.

I think his voice is the main reason another album isn't out. He certainly cares about how much he dislikes a certain guitarist.

He could still pull it off. The difference when he isn't running around is pretty big, it's more a fitness thing. Obviously, his voice has detoriated but it's better now than it was in 2001/2002.