Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Axl Rose cant sing anymore

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

iftheworld

iftheworld

GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • 08-January 10

He just sings good in a few songs of the setlist,jungle,brownstone,easy and in certain parts of songs like estranged,dont cry,patience.I dont know if he should quit or not,rest is not the solution because he spend 1 year out of the shows and he has lost it,and its true the videos are there,he has lost it maybe forever.

For me its like when a soccer player that you like is back from a serius injury and you want him to do the things he used to do,but he cant anymore.I feel the same way.

Erm, no.
He sounds amazing on this tour, seriously - What gives you the impression he can't sing anymore compared to before? And before you bring up songs in 2012 that he sounds 'average/poor' on, I could find as many from 88' to 93'

I have loads of frustations with Axl/Guns' but your thread doesn't make much sense, imo.

Agreed Subs.

I think he's confused about Axl not singing pre 1995 where he didn't care about his vocal cords all those years and just let it rip. He believes, because he doesn't sing like that 100% of the time, he can't. Wrong. This guy is obviously trolling and seeing how he's pretty much new here he probably didn't see any of the 2010 performances. The guy sounds amazing this tour. Get off his back. What do you want him to do? Damage his cords and get bronchitis constantly? Would you like that? That way, he wouldn't be able to perform and you could be happy.

Edited by iftheworld, 26 May 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Posted Image

"Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour, because I've managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight." -Axl Rose

Leader of the Axl Rose Defense Force

Crash Diet

Crash Diet

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts
  • 22-October 11
lol

Best post ever: Damn_Smooth about DJ Ashba

Damn_Smooth, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm butthurt that that jackass lives in a house like that. I don't have any talent either, why don't I have a mansion?

F*ck Fear

F*ck Fear

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,983 posts
  • 29-June 03
Axl can sing. The proof is every show I've ever went to he sounded great. People were complaining about the vocals last year as well, but in Hamilton he sounded fucking amazing.

Posted Image

Dazey

Dazey

Redcoat Bastard!

• SILVER
  • 16,899 posts
  • 25-November 02
I think it's obvious that Axl has lost something from his prime but fucking hell the guy's 50 and he could afford to lose more from his prime than 99% of people will ever have and still be fucking amazing.

Example:

Great performance!

Fucking amazing performance!

I mean yeah it's not as good but it's not that far off and personally I think he sounds great. I actually think the band has a better vibe in the first video too.

Edited by Dazey, 26 May 2012 - 11:42 AM.

HV's Current Shit-list: Black Sabbath, Broskirose, Skype Crew (except Graeme), Miser, wfse and Dazey. Especially Dazey...

F*ck Fear

F*ck Fear

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,983 posts
  • 29-June 03

I think it's obvious that Axl has lost something from his prime but fucking hell the guy's 50 and he could afford to lose more from his prime than 99% of people will ever have and still be fucking amazing.

Example:

Great performance!

Fucking amazing performance!

I mean yeah it's not as good but it's not that far off and personally I think he sounds great. I actually think the band has a better vibe in the first video too.

I actually perfer the newer performance of this. His voice suits this song more, now.

Posted Image

Dazey

Dazey

Redcoat Bastard!

• SILVER
  • 16,899 posts
  • 25-November 02

I actually perfer the newer performance of this. His voice suits this song more, now.

I guess it's all about personal preference but when I said "lost something" I was talking about the top end fucking buzzsaw power he has in the earlier video. Whether he sounds better or not is subjective but he's not as capable as he was is probably a better way to phrase it. He just can't quite pull that off anymore which is cool and I'm wording this extra carefully to be clear I'm just making a point and not trying to bash anybody! :)

Edited by Dazey, 26 May 2012 - 11:51 AM.

HV's Current Shit-list: Black Sabbath, Broskirose, Skype Crew (except Graeme), Miser, wfse and Dazey. Especially Dazey...

RockerRoller

RockerRoller

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • 03-April 05
i kinda agree actually. he shouldn't be doing such long shows if he can't give it his full go without mickey mouse returning.
alice cooper asked for a reunion, why can't i?

Estranged Reality

Estranged Reality

=:-o

• Admins
  • 15,418 posts
  • 04-November 06

I guess it's all about personal preference but when I said "lost something" I was talking about the top end fucking buzzsaw power he has in the earlier video. Whether he sounds better or not is subjective but he's not as capable as he was is probably a better way to phrase it. He just can't quite pull that off anymore which is cool and I'm wording this extra carefully to be clear I'm just making a point and not trying to bash anybody! :)

you're absolutely right. my assumption is that axl began taking actual vocal lessons during the downtime of the band - probably because all the damage he did to his vocal cords back in the '80s/'90s made it difficult to continue singing in that manner. i think early on during his comeback he was still trying to figure all that out (which is why his voice was often derided during that period of time), but over the years he's learned to actually "sing" in a more traditional sense. he doesn't have that banshee rasp like he used to and certainly hits the notes with a higher falsetto much of the time, but the power is still there in a different way. i think when you listen to "chinese democracy" it doesn't always sound like the old axl rose, but he's capable of doing some stuff with his "new" voice that he wouldn't have been able to do back in the day. (always loved that RiR3 performance of 'the blues' because of how he sang it in falsetto.)

Edited by Estranged Reality, 26 May 2012 - 12:43 PM.

Posted Image

And there was damage done but I made it home and woke up on the floor

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,925 posts
  • 09-March 08
i like to compare axl to a in his prime power pitcher, a power pitcher that would throw 97 and blow people away. axl in the 80s and 90s was this his power and that rasp would just blow you away. as time goes on the power pitchers velocity starts to dwindle and he cannot blow people away anymore he is struggling to find out how to evolve which i think was axl around 2001-2002
but then the power pitcher learns to use his velocity at 90-91 mph and adds a new pitch and becomes very good again which is axl from 2006-present

i know its a stupid analogy but its what i always the one i think of. axl is 50 and his voice has changed he had adapted and i think he sounds great, of course he is going to have off nights all of the legends have had bad nights, but 9/10 he will blow you away

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

November_rain

November_rain

FRONTMAN

• Returned
  • 6,203 posts
  • 26-February 03
Ive always said the if people want a perfect vocal performance they better stay at home and listen to a CD. Ive seen old videos from the old days where Axl sounds awful and some where he sounds amazing, its always been like this. And the same happens to other singers.

GANSES ROUSES.

Original

Original

Junior

• Returned
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • 15-April 12
If you want flawless everything (vocals, guitar, drum etc...) listen to a CD. But correct- vocally he's never gonna get back to the '87-'93 era. Too bad he wasted the '93-2000ish times. But atleast we still have Axl!

CivilWar07

CivilWar07

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • 01-July 11
Seriously hate buzz words should follow automatic deletion of accounts!!!! Ha (leading with an iron fist)
"Im gonna tell you a story"

chevelle

chevelle

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts
  • 26-June 05
He might be able to sing better if he used less rasp so he didn't strain his vocal cords as much, and that might let him sing with less Mickey in his voice.

My 8-Bit Music. My Vinyl Collection.
Posted Image
November 5th, 2006 - Continental Airlines Arena

koldbeer2

koldbeer2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • 23-December 11
What he has lost in terms of his top end rawness that he used to have, he has gained in terms of raw power towards the middle-bottom part (Better is a good example of this) so its swings and roundabouts really.

hudsonsaul

hudsonsaul

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • 11-September 05
I think he has lost some punch n' balls to his voice. BUT i think he can still sing and it predominately comes down to fitness. He moves about heaps on stage, and singing uses lots of muscles. IMO getting in shape before a tour and maintaing a vocal coach would lift his game and increases consistency and balls to his voice.

Wonder if he still doesnt rehearse with the band before tours, as that woudl help him get into vocal shape before touring too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users