Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Izzy Thread

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

axlsalinger

axlsalinger

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • 02-April 05
According to Marc Canter, they all did regroup in 1996 for a very short time to work on some songs, Izzy included. I guess it was just too late by that point.

"Nothing here is Subject To Change.

Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic."

Sincerely, W. Eddie Vedder

"Love boat captain, take the reins and steer us towards the clear. Here."

The Real McCoy

The Real McCoy

FRONTMAN

• SILVER Supporter
  • 5,549 posts
  • 14-February 11
Always my favorite Gunner after Axl.

"I'm the original rock n' roll cliche, Gypsy, pirate, cowboy, You wouldn't last a minute in my boots, 'Cos baby, I'm the Real McCoy" - Hanoi Rocks

Estranged Reality

Estranged Reality

=:-o

• Admins
  • 15,226 posts
  • 04-November 06

According to Marc Canter, they all did regroup in 1996 for a very short time to work on some songs, Izzy included. I guess it was just too late by that point.

interesting. for some reason i wasn't aware of that.

Posted Image

And there was damage done but I made it home and woke up on the floor

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,646 posts
  • 09-March 08

Always my favorite Gunner after Axl.

same it was awesome to see him back on stage in 2006

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

sweetness

sweetness

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,905 posts
  • 01-February 06

Izzy is a boss.

'Nuff said

That was really cool, but man I love the GNR version of this song infinitely more. Izzy + Duff + Axl give it so much depth, would have been a great b side, shame they never recorded it :(

Izzy's solo albums are great, does anyone know if he still tours??

Edited by sweetness, 28 May 2012 - 11:19 PM.

Posted Image

axlsalinger

axlsalinger

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • 02-April 05

From Marc's recent interview:

LRI: Do you think when Izzy went back to Indiana and got sober that it really changed the band relationship?

Marc: No, no, simply because Izzy just doesnít change. I mean he got clean and everything but he was still the same old Izzy. He STILL is. Izzy is the same guy he was in 1985. In fact, a lot of people arenít aware of this but for about two weeks in 1996 the guys got back together in the Illusions lineup and I remember telling Axl, ďDonít fuck it up. Just go in a room like the Traveling Wilburys and sit on crates, no girlfriends, no managers just your guitars and a tape recorder and grab whatever magic occurs as a result of you all being together and playing, just make music for each other and with each other not for the world and its magnifying glass. Make believe that someone is offering you 100 million dollars to write 12 songs. These are songs that will never have to be heard but they have to be complete and you wonít get paid unless you can prove that you actually hammered out these ideas, these songs.Ē Of course that was all for not because two weeks later that reunion fell apart but from what I understand Izzy had a tape of like 50 songs that he was gonna bring to these sessions that never happened.

"Nothing here is Subject To Change.

Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic."

Sincerely, W. Eddie Vedder

"Love boat captain, take the reins and steer us towards the clear. Here."

HB3

HB3

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • 30-May 10

From Marc's recent interview:

LRI: Do you think when Izzy went back to Indiana and got sober that it really changed the band relationship?

Marc: No, no, simply because Izzy just doesnít change. I mean he got clean and everything but he was still the same old Izzy. He STILL is. Izzy is the same guy he was in 1985. In fact, a lot of people arenít aware of this but for about two weeks in 1996 the guys got back together in the Illusions lineup and I remember telling Axl, ďDonít fuck it up. Just go in a room like the Traveling Wilburys and sit on crates, no girlfriends, no managers just your guitars and a tape recorder and grab whatever magic occurs as a result of you all being together and playing, just make music for each other and with each other not for the world and its magnifying glass. Make believe that someone is offering you 100 million dollars to write 12 songs. These are songs that will never have to be heard but they have to be complete and you wonít get paid unless you can prove that you actually hammered out these ideas, these songs.Ē Of course that was all for not because two weeks later that reunion fell apart but from what I understand Izzy had a tape of like 50 songs that he was gonna bring to these sessions that never happened.

Wow. I never knew that. Thanks for the info!

californiaz06

californiaz06

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • 27-March 12
I dont know if its really known or not but Izzy was in VR for 2 weeks as well. Then they started auditioning vocalists and he wanted out. Slash said something along the lines it going back to the GN'R days and Axls behavior. I guess he wasn't fond of it or something.

duff_rose

duff_rose

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • 04-July 06

Also.. I bet many of you have never seen Izzy like this:

1:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQeGEDl3PhQ

Srsly. Izzy, the quiet one, KICKS a guy who tries to grab a pick from Izzy's mike stand. :lol:

Watch it! It's gold.

RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • 16-October 11

'I bought me an illusion and I put it on the wall, I let it fill my head with dreams and had to have them all.'

''You're a very sexy girl who's very hard to please, you can taste the bright lights but you won't get them f- GIVE ME THE FUCKING BALL!!!!'' - Axl, Roskilde Festival 06

Chinaski

Chinaski

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • 14-January 12

I dont know if its really known or not but Izzy was in VR for 2 weeks as well. Then they started auditioning vocalists and he wanted out. Slash said something along the lines it going back to the GN'R days and Axls behavior. I guess he wasn't fond of it or something.

There is a song on the album he released around the time of Contraband that has a real similar riff to Do It For The Kids.

pmue.png

DizzyReedsexmachine

DizzyReedsexmachine

Senior

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • 21-May 12
Posted ImagePosted Image
:shades:
Posted Image Posted Image

Kickingthehabit

Kickingthehabit

GOD

• MOD SQUAD
  • 2,019 posts
  • 16-February 05
I think Izzy's singular conduit to greatness is the laid-back quality of his songwriting. Songs like Sweet Caress are so unbelievably on point, it's ridiculous. Sure, he's a terrible vocalist, but that's how his music is meant to sound. It's meant to have a council estate crack house feel to it. I personally wouldn't like to hear Everything's Alright by someone with beautiful golden tones. His haggard bag head delivery adds to the feel of the music and what it's all about. I think his work largely mirrors Keith Richards' solo cuts. A little less flashy and more button-down. That's certainly not to say rock n' roll is only authentic if it's stripped like an old Ford, but it is fucking wonderful to hear somebody firing away with little more than the basics as protection.

There is a song on the album he released around the time of Contraband that has a real similar riff to Do It For The Kids.

Those early VR sessions with Izzy turned out a lot of material. Scott hated most of it, but Slash said it would have made a great GNR record had Axl performed vocal duties. Do It For The Kids, Ghost, and Starlight were written around that time.

This is an early demo of Ghost. Not sure if Izzy plays on this particular recording, but I assume he did, or at least contributed to the arrangement before Dave joined.

Posted Image

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER Supporter
  • 15,703 posts
  • 10-May 08
Left guitar doesn't really sound like Izzy to me. Could be wrong though. I do know that Izzy's guitar on the Slash album wasn't recorded in 2010.

Edited by bacardimayne, 30 May 2012 - 07:37 PM.

dQOAHSG.png

Kill Devil Hill

Kill Devil Hill

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • 14-July 11
Terrible voice? I dunno about that. His and Slash's are pretty awesome.

In regards to Slash, I read a desperate fan's message about, what if one of us were to die and looking back I had the possibility of a reunion now, blah blah blah. And my thoughts are, "Yeah, and while you're at the show your baby accidentally kicks a candle and burns your house down, killing himself and the rest of your family."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users