Does anybody else think Axl should go back in and do a sort of director's cut to CD?

Randy Lahey

Does anybody else think Axl should go back in and do a sort of director's cut to CD? I was watching this Blade Runner documentary recently and they were discussing all the problems they had editing it, and it got me thinking about A. Rose and Chinese Democracy. I can't help but feel like we didn't get the best version of CD possible. There are definitely a lot of simple additions and subtractions that they could do to the album to make it vastly superior. I actually think every song on the album could easily be improved upon.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Does anybody else think Axl should go back in and do a sort of director's cut to CD? I was watching this Blade Runner documentary recently and they were discussing all the problems they had editing it, and it got me thinking about A. Rose and Chinese Democracy. I can't help but feel like we didn't get the best version of CD possible. There are definitely a lot of simple additions and subtractions that they could do to the album to make it vastly superior. I actually think every song on the album could easily be improved upon.

No.

Guest Broskirose

No.

Yes.

How radically different do GnR play the songs live?

I'd like to hear what Axl wanted everyone to hear without people coming in from their label and fucking it up, so yes.

So you say he caved and let "people from label fuck it up"? I thought he didn't cave to anyone?

I'd like to hear what Axl wanted everyone to hear without people coming in from their label and fucking it up, so yes.

So you say he caved and let "people from label fuck it up"? I thought he didn't cave to anyone?

Perhaps he's alluding to the time when the record was reportedly complete many, many years ago but someone told Axl he had maybe one or two hits and that's it on it. And it allegedly sent him back in the studio to tinker ad nauseum. Who knows how true that is.

Perhaps he's alluding to the time when the record was reportedly complete many, many years ago but someone told Axl he had maybe one or two hits and that's it on it. And it allegedly sent him back in the studio to tinker ad nauseum. Who knows how true that is.

And who was the "someone"? And what about the "Axl's a bad ass and doesn't give a fuck about what people say"? Or does he????

robin's solos on better, til, sod, chinese democracy, twat, and irs are perfect

bucket's solos on shacklers, if the world, sorry, and prostitute are perfect too

chinese democracy is the perfect album. it doesn't need improvement

IF the remix album is indeed something that will happen, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two tracks weren't so much remixes as they were alternate versions; "This I Love (Orchestral Version)", etc.

But I wouldn't want all of CD re-re-re-tinkered with. To be honest, I love the album as is... Only song I'd want a re-worked version of would be This I Love :shrugs:

Edited by RickRoses

First off, I would like to start out by saying that I love this album; I've listened to Chinese Democracy more than any other album I own since it was released, however, I think it could do with a director's cut, and this is what I would do.

Chinese Democracy - This is a solid album track at best. Being that it has no hook, no memorable solo and no signature Axl Rose vocal, I can't for the life of me figure out why this was chosen as the lead single for the most anticipated rock album of all time. And to top it all off, you have to sit thru a minute of Chinese people whispering before you even get to the damn song. First thing I would do is have the introduction commit harry carry. Then I would remove Chris Pitman entirely from this song and make it as raw a guitar oriented a track as possible.

Shackler's Revenge - My only real complaint about this song is the awful elephant solo provided by Mr. Bumblefoot. I'm of the Lars Ulrich's dad's opinion that "you should probably just delete that." If Axl replaced the elephant with some melodic Bucket shred he may have had a hit song on his hands. This swashbuckler of a tune has great verses and one helluva chorus. My only other thought is that it could probably do with a bit less layers of vocals, but other than that, we've got a winner.

Better - This song is superb. The best rocker on the album, and possibly one of the best songs in Axl's catalog. My only suggestions would be to turn off Mr. Pitman's effects and turn up the guitars. That's it though. This song is amazing and should have been the first single.

Street of Dreams - You should start off by changing the title back to The Blues, and then put out a version that is as close as possible to the live version below. If you do that, you've got a stone cold classic.

to be continued...

Edited by Randy Lahey

IF the remix album is indeed something that will happen, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two tracks weren't so much remixes as they were alternate versions; "This I Love (Orchestral Version)", etc.

But I wouldn't want all of CD re-re-re-tinkered with. To be honest, I love the album as is... Only song I'd want a re-worked version of would be This I Love :shrugs:

Can you imagine how long it would take them to remix CD? :rofl-lol:

There are some "techno" moments in some of the songs I don't really care for, but it is what it is.

I know Axl loves the song, but "This I Love" is probably my least favorite track from the album.

Maybe take the best "Chinese Leftovers" and make a 75 minute disc and bundle copies of CD that didn't sell as a bonus to go along with it. :shrugs:

If they have all the alternate versions, maybe they could package it up as a Director's Cut. I think if they was an interactive version of the album which you could choose which solo you wanted, which vocal, guitar part you wanted. That might be cool.

I think if they was an interactive version of the album which you could choose which solo you wanted, which vocal, guitar part you wanted. That might be cool.

Ideally that's what I'd want. Choose Your Own Adventure: Chinese Democracy

No.

Of course not !

Most demos sound better than the album version for a reason so clearly I wouldn't want the band to "tweak" the songs even harder.

Besides, twelve years of tweaking, that wasn't enough ? Isn't it time to, y'know, move on ? :confused:

I think if they was an interactive version of the album which you could choose which solo you wanted, which vocal, guitar part you wanted. That might be cool.

Ideally that's what I'd want. Choose Your Own Adventure: Chinese Democracy

I'm not sure if the technology is there yet but it would be interesting. I'm not sure if a band has done this yet.

I guess multiple studio versions of Catcher and IRS or something. At one point in the release there was covers A,B,C and I thought we were going to get 3 albums with slightly different versions of the album. The 2002 version, 2006, 2008. I'm not sure of the dates.

I'm not sure of the interactive album idea, in that it takes away the final cut from the artist, so it's not special anymore. Surely musicians want to think their version is good, or maybe not, it's just a version of a song maybe.

A live album might be the remix album we want. the songs would be stripped down and rawer.

Edited by wasted

i don't know about a possible chinese democracy remix cd cause in the better remix robin's parts been stripped out!

i don't know about a possible chinese democracy remix cd cause in the better remix robin's parts been stripped out!

I'm not talking about a techno remix album. It's more about taking the existing tracks and making them better.