The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

This thread is to discuss releases on blu-ray...the good,the bad,the crappy transfers,collections etc.

Please keep the blu-ray vs. dvd posts to the other thread.

Blu-ray players and tech issues etc. can go in the home theater thread.

Here's a hidden gem some might not know about..

34fo8xx.jpg

This is one of my current favs in my collection.

The original version from the 80's.

It was released by a small,indie company called Twilight Time.

They specialize in releasing lesser known movies or those that are not guaranteed to have a mass appeal as far as sales go.

What makes it kind of neat is they are limited edition releases of 3,000 copies.

Once it sells out that's it...gone.

Try ebay.

This release was,in fact,their first sellout.

I preordered a copy the day it went up.The demand was so great the site that handles the distribution and orders for them (Screen Archives) crashed.People were freaking out.I luckily got my order in before the crash.

You have to be willing to take a bit of a bullet price-wise but any blu-ray I've got from this company so far has been totally worth it.

The blu-ray treatment is outstanding,just superb.Super clear and natural grain intact.I have the dvd as well and this just buries it (but enough about that here).The soundtrack has been remastered as well.

It's pretty much a barebones release,no extras apart from a trailer and an isolated soundtrack option.

But they do include a magnet of the cover (the cover as seen above) which is a neat little perk...looks cool on the fridge. :tongue2:

Absolutely one of the gems of my collection at this stage...really happy with it. :)

I'd give it a 9/10...probably the best it's ever going to look.

1 point knocked off for the lack of extras (but that's part of the deal when they license the movie for release).

I use my PS3 for everything.

Just ran out to Walmart tonight and grabbed Star Trek (2009) for $5! Also got the Scream movies for $40 because I had a giftcard.

And Zint, damn you.. I beat myself up for not ordering Fright Night (it would have been a blind buy, but still..) I think I didn't because it was like $30 or something? Still though, had I been smarter a few months ago.. :(

As for my gems though, I love my Jurassic Park collection in the metal case. Also love my steelbooks, especially Underworld Awakening 3D! And my Alien Anthology ^_^

Do any of you import? I've got two on their way right now - Taken and The Hurt Locker - beautiful steelbooks. I'll post pictures later :)

Yep. There are some shows though that I'm too far behind in buying the seasons (Dexter, True Blood) that I'm probably just going to wait a few years until the whole sets are released and buy them then.

And that reminds me, my Lost Collection is a prize of mine as well :D

As is my Willy Wonka box set :)

Yeah, but the way I look at it is it's like 10-12 hours, for $50? Not that bad, in my opinion.

Also, TV shows are always cheaper the week they come out, which is when I usually get them.

New release movies are usually between $20-23, and I hardly every get those. And this week, the latest season of True Blood is $35, so.. :shrugs:

These are the steelbooks I have coming in right now:

dsc06545t.jpg

dsc06547s.jpg

dsc06548h.jpg

dsc06549n.jpg

Taken_UK_SB_2.JPG

Both are stupid, fuckin' region locked though, so I'm just going to swap out the discs for the regular US blus ( even though that version of the Hurt Locker has an exclusive commentary :/ )

Then, I'm going to get Paul:

91581.jpg

And hopefully I'll be done for awhile :)

More than I should :lol:

Really though, these are the most expensive ones, and they aren't even that bad. The first two, after shipping, I'll get for around $35-40 (for the pair), which is really good considering they're coming from overseas. Paul is a little more expensive though, mainly because of it's availability.

As for the blus I just buy around here though, in the states, I don't usually spend more than $10-15 on one single movie, and I don't even do that too often. Occasionally I'll splurge on a new release f $20 or so, but that's only if I really want the movie.

Here's a hidden gem some might not know about..

34fo8xx.jpg

This is one of my current favs in my collection.

The original version from the 80's.

It was released by a small,indie company called Twilight Time.

They specialize in releasing lesser known movies or those that are not guaranteed to have a mass appeal as far as sales go.

What makes it kind of neat is they are limited edition releases of 3,000 copies.

Once it sells out that's it...gone.

Try ebay.

This release was,in fact,their first sellout.

I preordered a copy the day it went up.The demand was so great the site that handles the distribution and orders for them (Screen Archives) crashed.People were freaking out.I luckily got my order in before the crash.

You have to be willing to take a bit of a bullet price-wise but any blu-ray I've got from this company so far has been totally worth it.

The blu-ray treatment is outstanding,just superb.Super clear and natural grain intact.I have the dvd as well and this just buries it (but enough about that here).The soundtrack has been remastered as well.

It's pretty much a barebones release,no extras apart from a trailer and an isolated soundtrack option.

But they do include a magnet of the cover (the cover as seen above) which is a neat little perk...looks cool on the fridge. :tongue2:

Absolutely one of the gems of my collection at this stage...really happy with it. :)

I'd give it a 9/10...probably the best it's ever going to look.

1 point knocked off for the lack of extras (but that's part of the deal when they license the movie for release).

One of my all time favourite movies! "you're soooo cool Brewster!!!!" :lol:

All I have on Blu-Ray is

The Dark Knight

Star Trek (the newest one)

American Psycho

Apocalypto

District 9

Indiana Jones - Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

Ocean's Thirteen

All the Pirate Of The Caribbean's

Terminator Salvation

Transformers - Revenge Of The Fallen

X-Files - I Want To Believe

I have these movies on BR:

Cast Away

Derailed

No Country for Old Men

Rambo (the entire series)

Showgirls :lol:

Got an Oppo BDP-93 player.

Nice player! Not cheap but one of the best you can buy for under $1000....I am getting ready to spring for one so how do you like it?

Step Brothers on Blue Ray next.

Yeah I got that too. I must have seen that movie over 10 times :lol:

I'm Dale. But you have to call me Dragon.

It was on hbo for ages.

What if one day she comes to me and says I've had the Bull now I want the young calf.

Were men, and we do men things like shit with door open, make our own beef jerky and go on river boat gambling trips.

We've literally never done any of those things.

Crossbows!

I think Apicalypse Now and Natural Born Killers.

Do any of you import? I've got two on their way right now - Taken and The Hurt Locker - beautiful steelbooks. I'll post pictures later :)

Technically I import from the States all the time, if that counts. :P

Canadian releases are getting worse and worse for having the French writing take up just as much room as the English writing and therefore many covers are ruined and the writing on the spine becomes so small I can barely read it on my damn shelf. Order from the US, problem solved. ;)

Currently I'm waiting on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bond-50-Complete-Collection-Hardcover/dp/B006U1J5ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338733787&sr=8-1

22 Blu Rays and you get a hardcover book with all the Bond posters to date if you order from Amazon. $186 ain't bad at all. Plus, they thought ahead and left a space for Skyfall so it'll fit in the box when it's released.

More than I should :lol:

Really though, these are the most expensive ones, and they aren't even that bad. The first two, after shipping, I'll get for around $35-40 (for the pair), which is really good considering they're coming from overseas. Paul is a little more expensive though, mainly because of it's availability.

As for the blus I just buy around here though, in the states, I don't usually spend more than $10-15 on one single movie, and I don't even do that too often. Occasionally I'll splurge on a new release f $20 or so, but that's only if I really want the movie.

Amazon all the way for movies (though you probably buy stuff they don't always carry). I live in Canada, but I order from Amazon.com more than Amazon.ca. I'm charged for shipping across the border, but the prices are so much better that you still come out way ahead. I don't see how anyone can compete with Amazon on prices. We also have HMV stores up here, and Wal-Mart, and between these two and Amazon.com there is no shortage of inexpensive DVDs and BRs. Of course, when you start piling up the purchases, it adds up!

I have these movies on BR:

Cast Away

Derailed

No Country for Old Men

Rambo (the entire series)

Showgirls :lol:

Got an Oppo BDP-93 player.

Nice player! Not cheap but one of the best you can buy for under $1000....I am getting ready to spring for one so how do you like it?

I like it quite a bit. Had two other players before settling on the Oppo. A Cambridge Audio 650BD and a Denon BDP-1611UD. The Denon had great audio quality for a universal player, but couldn't compare to the Oppo for video quality. You have to go up the Denon line (and pay something like $1,000) to get a player that has the video processing capability of the Oppo. The Cambridge was just an older machine and also couldn't compare (plus it was overpriced as well vs. the Oppo).

So I pretty much agree, if all you need is a great BR and DVD player (which is my situation), look no further than the Oppo. It has nice build quality too. If you also want a great CD player then you may have to look at the Oppo BDP-95 or something else from Denon, Marantz, or Arcam. But, I would always prefer a stand alone CD player. Or if you want games, a PS3, which from what I've heard holds it's own as a Blu-Ray player.

Edited by KBear