The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

How can you tell if your TV is an HDTV? Mine's a big wide flat screen tv.

Come on, bud, you know better than that. Don't be one of those 80 year-olds who doesn't know their TV is HD.

Check out this site and see what the transfers are like for some of your favorite movies you have on DVD and read the reviews: http://www.blu-ray.com/

How can you tell if your TV is an HDTV? Mine's a big wide flat screen tv.

Come on, bud, you know better than that. Don't be one of those 80 year-olds who doesn't know their TV is HD.

We bought it like 4 years ago. The brand isn't even really clear. It's a brand with W in a circle with a line under the W. That's the only thing which indicates the brand.

Also, most HDTVs display the resolution when you change inputs so that's a way of checking. Say when I switch from Input 1 to HDMI 1 there's a message in the corner that says "HDMI 1 - 1080p" or something like that. That's another way of checking too - does your television have HDMI inputs? Sort of a USB looking input that should be labelled anyways. HDMI is a necessity to get the most out of a Blu-ray.

Where's the best place to buy Burays at the lowest price? I'm about to start building a collection but dont wanna spend more than a few hundred starting out. Would my best bet be eBay? Craigslist aint got nothin in my area.

:rofl-lol:

Depends where you live. I buy my blus at Amazon mostly when I find great deals. I also wait when other stores have deals 'cause Amazon price-matches them.

For steelbooks, I don't care, as long as I can get the version I want I pay the price :tongue2:

Edited by pi2loc

I recommend Amazon to start. Buy a few of your favorite movies and go from there. New releases are easier to collect because you can just buy the Blu-ray to begin with. I doubt I'll ever get my entire DVD collection on Blu-ray, but I've replaced some of my favorite movies and then just started buying all new releases on Blu. For something like Bond it was worthwhile to upgrade, but I couldn't care less if say my Adam Sandler movies are in HD or not. That's the way I look at it.

Same, I wont even rent a movie if its not avaiable for bluray. I've got about 120 titles so far and let me tell you one thing, its a VERY expensive hobby to get into. But to me, theres no better way to relax at the end of a work day then to come home, pick out a title from my media rack, and sink back into my comfy sofa and enjoy bluray awesomeness.

I guess you guys are just more intense than I am. ;)

I just don't feel the need to do it with all my DVDs. It's not like they're an old deteriorated VHS that's absolutely unwatchable or anything. I know, I'll leave the thread now.

There is not as big a difference in quality between watching a DVD compared to a blu-ray on an HD TV, thanks to upscaling, as there was going from VHS to DVD but there is definitely a difference in picture quality especially if you own a larger screen.

I have been slowly upgrading my favorite DVD's to Blu-ray and I think the quality difference makes it worth it........too each his own I guess....... :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

I'm not saying there isn't a difference, because there is, but that it's not such a difference that I'd care to replace some 200 or so DVDs on Blu-ray. For my favorite movies - definitely, as well as most of the movies I buy from this point onward (unless it's not available on Blu-ray). Still, it's just not worth the money to me to replace every single one. I don't see how my enjoyment of say, My Cousin Vinny, is going to be enhanced because of slightly better picture quality when my DVD already looks great upscaled. Even if the Blu is only $8, that's $8 that can be put towards a much more worthwhile Blu-ray like Skyfall.

Skyfall isn't worthwhile :awesomeface:

I disagree

I'm not saying there isn't a difference, because there is, but that it's not such a difference that I'd care to replace some 200 or so DVDs on Blu-ray. For my favorite movies - definitely, as well as most of the movies I buy from this point onward (unless it's not available on Blu-ray). Still, it's just not worth the money to me to replace every single one. I don't see how my enjoyment of say, My Cousin Vinny, is going to be enhanced because of slightly better picture quality when my DVD already looks great upscaled. Even if the Blu is only $8, that's $8 that can be put towards a much more worthwhile Blu-ray like Skyfall.

I agree.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov