The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

• 2 weeks later...

Terminator: Genisys is now only $12.99 on Amazon. Not bad for a new release. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

I'm glad I didn't end up buying it back when I posted this (the deal was up when I got around to doing an Amazon order). Today I got it for $8 as well as Rogue Nation for $14. Good deals all around!

No image there. Do we know yet if the US steel is the same as the UK steel? It's sexy as fuck.

No image there. Do we know yet if the US steel is the same as the UK steel? It's sexy as fuck.

Image is there when I click on it. But yes, same one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Straight Outta Compton today.

Weighing at what point do I stop buying Blu Rays and start waiting to buy 4K discs.

4k discs are Blu-rays. 4k players aren't even out yet, 4k discs aren't even out yet, and the difference, unless on a massive screen, is nowhere near the difference between DVD to Blu.

Basically, if there's a deal on a disc for a reasonable price, or you really love the movie, get 4k. Otherwise stick with 1080p.

They'll start coming out next month though. On the plus side it looks like the 4K Blu-ray's are coming with the regular Blu-ray though as well.

The part where it seems you'll have to make a choice however is 3D vs. 4K; there aren't any 4K & 3D combo packs yet - only 4K and 2D combo packs. So for a film that isn't available in 3D, the choice is easy. For a film like Mad Max or The Martian though, which is available in 3D, it's tougher.

Ended up ordering the Terminator: Genisys steel since I ended up loving the film. I got my other copy so cheap that I can probably resell it for what I paid at my local buy/sell store. I figured I had best get it before it's gone and up to crazy prices on eBay. Speaking of Terminator, what are the best editions of the first two films to get? My understanding is some of the transfers differ from one another. Any worthwhile steels? It's time to upgrade my DVDs of them (I'm not too fussed on replacing 3 and 4 for how little I watch them).

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Ended up ordering the Terminator: Genisys steel since I ended up loving the film. I got my other copy so cheap that I can probably resell it for what I paid at my local buy/sell store. I figured I had best get it before it's gone and up to crazy prices on eBay. Speaking of Terminator, what are the best editions of the first two films to get? My understanding is some of the transfers differ from one another. Any worthwhile steels? It's time to upgrade my DVDs of them (I'm not too fussed on replacing 3 and 4 for how little I watch them).

The Skynet Edition of T2 is great - it's one of the earlier versions available, but it holds up well. 

I've owned a few different versions of T1 over the years (It's usually quite cheap even when it's a brand new release), this one is the best I've seen yet:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Terminator-Blu-ray/61372/

8 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

The Skynet Edition of T2 is great - it's one of the earlier versions available, but it holds up well. 

I've owned a few different versions of T1 over the years (It's usually quite cheap even when it's a brand new release), this one is the best I've seen yet:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Terminator-Blu-ray/61372/

Thanks for the info! I think my fear was the price tag for both films. They seemed too cheap to actually be good transfers. :lol:

It looks like the remastered version of T1 has been replaced as of 2015 with an even newer version with a shitty cover (in a red case) of the Terminator taking a dump, but it's the same transfer. I'm sure I can track down the 2013 one just for the better cover.

The Skynet Edition of T2 is everywhere for cheap so I'll go with that one. BestBuy had a couple really ugly Mondo steelbooks but needles to say I'll pass on those. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Thanks for the info! I think my fear was the price tag for both films. They seemed too cheap to actually be good transfers. :lol:

It looks like the remastered version of T1 has been replaced as of 2015 with an even newer version with a shitty cover (in a red case) of the Terminator taking a dump, but it's the same transfer. I'm sure I can track down the 2013 one just for the better cover.

The Skynet Edition of T2 is everywhere for cheap so I'll go with that one. BestBuy had a couple really ugly Mondo steelbooks but needles to say I'll pass on those. 

Blu-Ray.com shows the version of T1 I linked you to is still available for $9.49 on Amazon, or $5 through other retailers. Shouldn't have any problem tracking that down.

Amazon it is! Even with the exchange it won't be too bad considering both films are so cheap. The 2013 edition of T1 is only available through third party sellers on Amazon.ca so at least this way I know I'll also avoid the bilingual packaging.

I'm now torn on T2. I was checking on the Blu-Ray forums (I really need to check out that site more often) and some are claiming that the newest release is better than the Skynet edition. I also like the cover better (back to full Arnold on the motorcycle - better than just the endo skull or Arnold headshot of the other releases). Is there anything else cool or worthwhile on the Skynet edition?

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

I don't really remember how the special features are on the Skynet Edition. Does the edition you're looking at have the director's cut though? I know the Skynet Edition is both theatrical and director's cut.

It lists both cuts on Blu-Ray.com so I would assume so. That's a bigger concern to me than the special features. I was slightly confused because it lists three cuts on the Skynet edition, so I wasn't sure if there was yet some other version f the film. I've only ever watched the extended cut. It was years before I found out that the smile gag was actually a deleted scene. :lol:

On a side note, Creed is getting a nice steel release at Best Buy so it looks like I need to pre-order that too. It's currently listed $43.99 on the Canadian website so it must either be super limited or they haven't updated the price yet.

2 cuts for T2. Makes sense. I went ahead and ordered them after double confirming that the newest T2 edition had both cuts - it does. So, I'll have the 2013 remaster of T1 and the 2015 release of T2 which I will dub the "cash in on Genisys by releasing this movie yet again" edition. I missed ordering on Amazon.com. The bloody exchange makes avoiding bilingual packaging difficult these days!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Spectre steelbook is 19.99 at Best Buy. Had a $5 coupon so I got it for $15. I'm cool with that.

You guys have such nicer prices. :lol:

Mine will be here on Tuesday. I've already got an empty plate stand next to all my other Bond steels ready and waiting! Thank God the only bilingual part of the Canadian steels is the cardboard wraparound.

The Best Buy Canada site has been glitchy the last couple days since they've updated it so I haven't been able to pre-order the Creed steel yet, but the price has at least been updated/corrected.