The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

10 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Target will have an exclusive Creed steelbook. Definitely getting that.

That must be the same one that Best Buy is getting here in Canada - that was the case with Terminator as well. With no Target in Canada, Best Buy usually has the monopoly on nice steels and exclusives. Wal-Mart tends to get the mediocre stuff - either an alternative slipcover or some crap bonus disc thrown in.

With 4K discs on the way, I've been slowly clearing out my DVD collection before it becomes totally worthless. Don't get me wrong - I'll never bother to replace absolutely all of them on Blu or 4K, but I'll mostly buy some of my favourites that I've been meaning to upgrade anyways. In some instances I was an idiot and bought "full screen" versions when I was young and naive (Batman Begins - I'm looking at you) so that alone is a good excuse to upgrade.

I just picked up The Dark Knight Limited Trilogy (the 2012 version) for dirt cheap, so that's one off the list. It's nicer than the current release and more shelf efficient.

Even though I don't plan on buying a 4K TV and player for a long time, I'll start buying the discs this year for most new releases since they'll be combo packs anyways. Then I'm prepared for the future.

I get parcels sent to my parents' place for convenience since the mail isn't the most forgiving at my apartment, so I likely already have mine (and the Genisys steel for that matter). I just need to grab them later.

Meanwhile my T1 and T2 came in yesterday - three days sooner than the tracking predicted. The Blu collection continues to expand.

• Like 1

I only had time to watch the PTS in SPECTRE this morning, but it looks and sounds killer. Special features are extremely weak though - just the trailers and all of the "making of" video blogs they posted during filming. My biggest gripe though is the music on the menu is the exact same version of the Bond theme from the Slyfall menu. What a cop out :lol:

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I only had time to watch the PTS in SPECTRE this morning, but it looks and sounds killer. Special features are extremely weak though - just the trailers and all of the "making of" video blogs they posted during filming. My biggest gripe though is the music on the menu is the exact same version of the Bond theme from the Slyfall menu. What a cop out :lol:

It got 5/5 for both audio and video on Bluray.com so I expect excellence there. I probably won't get a chance to watch it until the weekend though. No kidding about the bonus features - what the hell is that? Skyfall at least had a great new documentary about the making of the film in addition to the web content. Very lacklustre Bond release. The steel is mighty gorgeous though!

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Trying to decide if I wanna grab a UHD blu-ray player this week or next. Love & Mercy was the last blu-ray that I bought and I think it might be the last one altogether. If TFA is announced for UHD blu-ray, that'll probably be the kicker.

I thought the players themselves didn't get released until 3/1 either?

I'll probably start building my UHD collection before I can get a player. I'll definitely upgrade from BD to UHD on Kingsman, and probably double dip on Fury Road even though I have it in 3D.

51 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'll probably start building my UHD collection before I can get a player. I'll definitely upgrade from BD to UHD on Kingsman, and probably double dip on Fury Road even though I have it in 3D.

The players started shipping this week. Should be in stores as soon as the end of the week! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

That's my plan. I'll buy UHD now since they come with the Blu copies so I'm well prepared before I upgrade my TV and player.

• Like 1

I don't even see myself getting a 4K television for a long time. Of my two TVs, it might sound silly but I actually love watching movies on my out of date DLP TV as opposed to the LED one. There's something a bit more organic about projection that makes me feel like I'm in the theatre. The LED is better for just about everything else, but nevertheless. I guess that's a discussion to be had in the home theatre thread though. ;)

As far as preparing for the future, the combo packs is what makes me go "might as well" for starting the UHD collection sooner. I do wonder if they'll stop making DVDs in a couple of years in the same way VHS bit the dust. I assume UHD players can still play DVDs right?

29 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I've decided that new release 4K movies I'll pick up "just because" if it's one I really want and there isn't some other edition coming out that I want.

Other movies that are being rereleased on 4K like Fury Road will have to wait for a price drop for me to double dip.

Same. I will eventually double dip on Fury Road, but not when it's $45 and I can't play it yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After I do my tax return I might treat myself to a couple Criterion releases that I've had my eye on. US Amazon is cheaper than even Criterion's direct site so that'll be where I make my purchases. Even with the exchange/shipping it's much cheaper than Canadian Amazon.

• Like 1