The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

On 12/26/2016 at 2:08 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Got Don't Breathe on blu-ray for Christmas. Can't wait to re-watch it soon!

Got it, too and already watched again twice. The more you watch it, you admire how taut it is in its 88 min run time. Great f'in movie.

Also got the The Shallows 4K blu-ray which is stunning.  And Sicario which just flat out kicks ass.

On 12/27/2016 at 7:42 PM, Powerage5 said:

H8 looks stunning on Blu Ray. Just wish we could get a release of the Roadshow version.

It really does. The smoothness of the landscape during the wide shots, the natural movement when panning. Amazing transfer.

• Like 1

i bought a bluray drive for my pc a couple of years ago and finally installed it a few months ago because im lazy.  started buying blurays a few weeks ago and here is what i have so far.  blurays are so damn cheap these days i anticipate matching my dvd collection which presently sits at about 650 discs.  i am using cyberlink powerdvd for the pc, the only software that i have found works consistently.

zINM5XE.jpg

Just got done watching The Martiian on 4K blu-ray and blew me away. Was shot in 5K and finished in 2K, but still a huge showcase for the upgrade over standard blu-ray. 

Going to try not to re-purchase old blu-rays on 4K, but hooked and will buy everything going forward on 4K. The results are worth the extra $$'s and you can usually get good sale prices if you hunt and do price matching...  

Edited by Turn_It_Up

41 minutes ago, Turn_It_Up said:

Just got done watching The Martiian on 4K blu-ray and blew me away. Was shot shot in 5K and finished in 2K, but still a huge showcase for the upgrade over standard blu-ray. 

Going to try not to re-purchase old blu-rays on 4K, but hooked and will buy everything going forward on 4K. The results are worth the extra $$'s and you can usually get good sale prices if you hunt and do price matching...  

That's my problem. I don't want to re-purchase, but damn those 4K movies look amazing. 

56 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

very clever! i am buying blu-ray now but not duplicating the DVD's i already own. maybe when i get a decent TV, mine is on it's last legs i fear :(

I was very much on the "not upgrading my DVD collection" mindset when I started getting Blu's, but suddenly I'd buy a couple of my favorite films, and then a couple more, and then a couple more...

Much of my collection is still DVD but when played in a Blu player they get upscaled, so you'll find that even playing your regular DVDs in a Blu player looks terrific (of course a good TV helps too).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I was very much on the "not upgrading my DVD collection" mindset when I started getting Blu's, but suddenly I'd buy a couple of my favorite films, and then a couple more, and then a couple more...

Much of my collection is still DVD but when played in a Blu player they get upscaled, so you'll find that even playing your regular DVDs in a Blu player looks terrific (of course a good TV helps too).

my TV was very nice when i got it but they seem to go downhill faster than the ones like from when i was a kid. plus it seems that getting them repaired is more expensive than buying a new one :/

but yeah the DVD's do look better now that i have the blu-ray player :P

5 hours ago, Joeypeeps said:

That's my problem. I don't want to re-purchase, but damn those 4K movies look amazing. 

Yeah, going to be very tough not re-purchasing certain old favorites in 4K and I'm sure I'll grab a few when they get 4K releases. But going to try and focus on new releases I know will look best. Kinda sucks as I always thought my blu-rays looked great(and they do), but now that I got the 4K blu-ray player and some 4K discs and have seen the difference, it's hard to watch the other.  :lol:

Bet The Revenant looks killer, probably my next target. Arrival when it's out in March...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Sopranos was my gift to myself for Christmas, which is really what pushed me to get a bluray player in this first place as i was about to spend $100 on the DVD's. 

im pretty content with my small collection...still waiting for "After Hours" to be perfectly happy 

-

Edited by -W.A.R-

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 5:30 PM, Turn_It_Up said:

Just got done watching The Martiian on 4K blu-ray and blew me away. Was shot in 5K and finished in 2K, but still a huge showcase for the upgrade over standard blu-ray. 

I think The Martian is gonna be my next 4K purchase now that I've confirmed that my 4K player is indeed playing in 4K on my TV. I have the 3D disc for the theatrical release, so my justification to get the 4K disc will be to buy the Director's Cut on 4K. But other than that I likely won't double dip on any Blu Rays/4K discs (Except maybe Fury Road when it's for a good price).

Picked up the new Twilight Zone Complete Series box set today - after Amazon price match, a $10 Best Buy gift card I got for buying my UHD player, and a Best Buy rewards certificate I had, it cost me $55. Not too bad for a 24 disc set :D

Shitty packaging though - it's one single oversized DVD style case with a ton of those stupid flip pages. 

16 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Picked up the new Twilight Zone Complete Series box set today - after Amazon price match, a $10 Best Buy gift card I got for buying my UHD player, and a Best Buy rewards certificate I had, it cost me $55. Not too bad for a 24 disc set :D

Shitty packaging though - it's one single oversized DVD style case with a ton of those stupid flip pages. 

Good price for sure, but definitely shitty casing. I lucked out and got my set in a pricing error for $60; I have the original release. Definitely one of my best buys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

Good price for sure, but definitely shitty casing. I lucked out and got my set in a pricing error for $60; I have the original release. Definitely one of my best buys!

I actually just had to take it back - I opened it up, struggled with getting the first disc out for about 5 minutes, and I finally did I had to use so much force that I permanently bent it :blink: So yeah, I guess I'm gonna be looking for the previous release secondhand.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up the Coffin version of Universal Monsters on eBay for $35 shipped - a steal! I think it was like $60 shipped from the UK on sale at the time it was released and it sold out quick. Happy to finally get it!

51918_slipback.jpg

I also ordered the Target exclusive digibook versions of Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad because I'm a terrible person.