The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

I'm no Marvel fan but that looks mighty sweet I must say!

I finally picked up Jack Reacher: Never Go Back and I did indeed order the Indiana Jones set from Amazon UK. I also picked up the Despicable Me three-pack for my daughter.

Now I'm also looking forward to The Pink Panther getting a proper Blu release this year courtesy of Shout Factory. The six Peter Sellers films, anyways. My understanding is there were some rights issues concerning The Return of the Pink Panther which only got sorted out last year. Hitchock's Lifeboat is also getting a new Blu release which I'll probably pick up once the price goes down.

1 hour ago, Nosaj Thing said:

2223368254075ae51819690025a47b639c6d3990

:headbang:

I'm mildly torn on getting the steelbook or the regular 3D release with the clear slipcover. I've got all the Iron Man movies and The Incredible Hulk in regular form, but all of my other MCU movies are steelbooks, so I'm not sure what I wanna do, because the regular 3D copy of Doctor Strange is very nice.

Heading to Best Buy soon so I'll decide then I suppose!

Ended up getting $15 off of the Doctor Strange 3D steelbook after USPS lost my copy in the mail, or something. But I just watched it last night in 3D. Saw it in 2D at the theaters but man was the 3D a trip! First 3D movie I've watched in quite awhile honestly, but it may be one of my favorites. Overall I'd give the 3D 8.5/10, but man those IMAX scenes were out of this world! 10/10 for those and easily some of the best 3D I've scene during those scenes.

My Indiana Jones set from the UK finally arrived. It's the exact same five disc set as its North American counterpart except instead of the fold out digipack style packaging it's just one of those oversized Blu-ray cases with a slip cover. Considering I paid a third of the price I can live with that. It's quite a strange oversized case though - each of the disc pages (or whatever you want to call them) actually locks into place.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James Bond said:

My Indiana Jones set from the UK finally arrived. It's the exact same five disc set as its North American counterpart except instead of the fold out digipack style packaging it's just one of those oversized Blu-ray cases with a slip cover. Considering I paid a third of the price I can live with that. It's quite a strange oversized case though - each of the disc pages (or whatever you want to call them) actually locks into place.

You're not missing much on the packaging front from the US version - the discs are pretty tricky to get out.

Picked up Mad Max: Fury Road 4K over the weekend. One of the few 4K releases I plan to double dip on :) 

• Like 1

Pre-ordered the steelbooks Best Buy will have for Logan and La La Land, though I'm hoping they end up being 4K. Despite not having a 4K TV (and no desire for one anytime soon) or a player, I'd like to start future-proofing myself with new releases. Most new releases I've been able to wait on for a price drop, but I always get steelbooks Day-1. Luckily some studios seem to be making their steels 4K by default, but not all.

I agree on the future proofing, but for now Blu-ray/DVD packs are $10 cheaper ($24.99 vs. $34.99) so it's a big enough difference on new releases that I can't be bothered yet until the UHD packs drop. I'd call it even on $29.99 but for now the average prices are pretty locked and standard, at least in Canada.

Yes, I'm in the same boat regarding 4K.  Pre-ordered the Target and Best Buy exclusives for Rogue One and La La Land.  Also the Best Buy exclusive for Logan.

Missed the Moana 3D steelbook but Best Buy had them available for shipping last week.  I had to pay $5 more but what the hell, steel is gorgeous and I was kicking myself for missing that one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3D steelbook is at Best Buy for it. It's a shame I don't really care to ever watch it again, or I'd buy it.

I do wish I would have bit on TFA steelbook when they had it for $10 a couple months ago - just because.

I still don't own any of the other films because I find the sets to be ridiculously priced, even still.

13 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

3D steelbook is at Best Buy for it. It's a shame I don't really care to ever watch it again, or I'd buy it.

I do wish I would have bit on TFA steelbook when they had it for $10 a couple months ago - just because.

I still don't own any of the other films because I find the sets to be ridiculously priced, even still.

The Best Buy steel is ugly too so I felt I couldn't justify it especially when I thought the film was just okay.

I have the Collector's Edition of TFA which is far nicer than that steel too. So far I haven't been crazy on any of the Star Wars steels.

I got my six film set on eBay for $55 shipped. No way was I paying $100+ for it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I went The with Best Buy steel. I like the sort of minimalist artwork for this one, just like the teaser poster. Plus I wanted the 3D disc. 

In my case the 3D disc would have only made a fine coaster, but I've already got Episode I for that purpose.

• Like 1

Best Buy is killing it with steelbook releases lately:

Fm9cdUd.jpg DQDynwQ.jpg

Hoping these end up being 4K (trying real hard to future-proof going forward, but it's difficult with steels because they don't always include everything), but I'll likely end up getting them both regardless.

In addition to those, they've got steels coming out for Logan, Underworld Blood Wars, Ghost in the Shell, LEGO Batman, and Kong. I'm a huge steelbook guy so I love it. I only buy steelbooks on release day (or other special editions that I want/need); I can wait for price drops on regular releases.

Still not sure if I'm getting the La La Land steelbook from Best Buy later this month, but I will definitely be getting the Underworld: Blood Wars steel (guilty pleasure).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

So disappointed in the steelbook artwork for Logan. Canceled my order and looks like I'll just be getting the regular release.

Also canceled my order for the La La Land steelbook. Didn't care for that artwork either.

That was me with Rogue One.

I went through a phase with steelbooks where I wanted everything that came out as one but now I'm a lot more selective since, generally speaking, the prices have gone up and half the time I don't necessarily care for the artwork.