The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Not sure, haven't seen it yet. I didn't realize it's on pre-order. I picked it up (along with Mallrats and Collateral) from Amazon in the UK. Mallrats is much cheaper there, which was the main reason for my order.

They won't ship Tomb Raider 1 and 2 to North America though, and 2 wasn't released here (it's a German release as far as I can tell). I didn't realize that when trying to place the order, so I'm guessing that all the printing on the box is in German, and I'm not sure what the movie itself is going to be like. I'll just wait for them to get around to releasing it here.

Edited by KBear

I don't have The Dark Knight on Blu-ray so I never knew of the changing ratios thing until I got The Dark Knight Rises. When the movie started in "full screen" I was surprised, as I wondered why a big movie like that wasn't shot in widescreen. Then the ratio changed and I quickly realized it was probably because of the scenes he shot in IMAX, and I was proven correct when I looked it up and found out it was a problem with The Dark Knight on Blu-ray as well (the DVD is fine).

To answer the question though - yes, I found it kind of annoying but stopped noticing it after a while.

So the reason some of the scenes are full screen in the dark knight/rises is because those are the scenes shot in imax? I personally would want every film on blu ray to be full screen. Watched dredd last week and it is a great film, much better than what i was expecting.

Correct. The "full screen" scenes are those shot in IMAX (taller image, thus no black bars on a standard widescreen television) whereas the widescreen scenes are shot in the usual anamorphic format which is the most common for big productions (wider shot rather than taller). The screen would actually grow and adjust if you were watching it in an IMAX theater.

Correct. The "full screen" scenes are those shot in IMAX (taller image, thus no black bars on a standard widescreen television) whereas the widescreen scenes are shot in the usual anamorphic format which is the most common for big productions (wider shot rather than taller). The screen would actually grow and adjust if you were watching it in an IMAX theater.

Isn't IMAX almost a 1:1 aspect ratio? It's like 1.2:1 or something if I recall.