The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

OM fuckingG!!

This is holy grail for me!

1180tbr.jpg

In the fall, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will bring the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection to Blu-ray. This eight-disc, limited-edition box set compiles nine films from the studio's venerated horror movie catalog, all of which make their respective U.S. Blu-ray debuts through this package.

The films include:

Dracula (1931)

Drácula [spanish-language version] (1931)

Frankenstein (1931)

The Mummy (1932)

The Invisible Man (1933)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

The Wolf Man (1941)

Phantom of the Opera (1943)

Creature from the Black Lagoon (3-D, 1954)

The fucking original 3D version of Creature From the Black Lagoon!!!...Finally!! B)

I plan on getting that! :D

Is FutureShop getting one? I'm hoping Best Buy gets one, along with any others of the steels I've ordered, that way I'll save a good bit of money.

Not sure. Best Buy and Future Shop are both within 5 minutes of each other though.

Yeah, just looked it up and it hasn't been announced for Future Shop, but I am hoping Best Buy gets it, as importing can be a little costly. Collecting steelbooks is quite expensive.

Just picked up Paul, Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead, Trading Places, The Breakfast Club.

The one I and many others are waiting for is the Jaws steel.

I'm mentioned a while back I got the BOB steel, seriously this thing is mind blowing, visually it is beyond brilliant and the audio is incredible. I strongly recommend it.

So...any good Blu-Ray players around a $100 or so?

Good? no, but serviceable yes....not a fan of Sony products in general but there low end Blurays supposedly give decent video quality.............you get what you pay for with electronics

What should my price range be around then? I'm not looking for something balls-to-the-wall superpowered, but I don't want to waste money on junk either.

If you want a standalone player, the Oppo BDP-93 is the way to go.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396787,00.asp

If you don't want to shell out $500, I've heard the PS3 does a nice job with BR playback.

Got my OPPO a few weeks ago so I could stream Netflix while I figure out which LED TV I want and love it !

good reviews and I suggest anyone interested read it as there are links to other Bluray players from Sony, Toshiba etc for less than half the price which, while not as high end, give good performance for the money...While the sub $100 players will work the video quality will not do the bluray's justice IMHO so I would suggest paying a little more to get something with better video processing......the review gives you an idea the difference between the OPPO and the cheaper players.....some suggested players in the review include Samsung BD-D5700 or the Sony BDP-S780

Other things I considered before buying the OPPO besides the superior video processing.........

1. Can it do European PAL to the U.S. NTSC video format conversion so I could watch my PAL videos and bootlegs on my U.S. TV? The Oppo can and does it flawlessly but you have to be careful as the cheap player may be able to do this but if they don't have enough internal memory to support the conversion process it will end up very choppy an jerky when you watch a DVD which requires conversion. I learned this the hardway when I bought a cheap Pioneer DVD player and the conversion was almost unwatchable it was so jerky.

2. Can it be converted to Region free for Bluray and DVD videos?. I don't buy lot of non region 1 DVD 's but I do have some from Japan and Europe and like the ability to buy foreign DVDs and Blurays I may be be able to get here in the States. I payed extra and got an OPPO which was converted by an aftermarket company but it is an easy conversion to do by buying a conversion board you install inside the player or outside the player using the USB port on the back with just a screw driver and for DVD's you can download a program which makes it DVD region free.

Edited by classicrawker

Thanks for the link Zint, but not many interest me from amazon.ca, unfortunately. Also, after shipping, it's a bit of a killer. :( Hoping that Limitless steel will be $20 shipped, one day though...

As for the 3D glasses I use for my TV, batman, I'm not sure what the exact model is, but they're one of the first ones that came out for the Bravias that aren't rechargable.