The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Picked up Braveheart and I must say I was highly disappointed in the PQ. Funny thing is I also up Gladiator as they both were on sale. I always read how bad Gladiator looks and how great Braveheart looks. I found it to be the opposite entirely. Braveheart looked no better than DVD and Gladiator blew me away it looked so good. Maybe I picked a bad version?

Barnes And Noble had a short, 50% off, buy 2 get 1 free sale on Criterion last night and I snagged Being John Malkovich, The Darjeeling Limited, and Bottle Rocket, all for $42.xx after tax. ^_^ I kind of regret not doing another order with Gimmie Shelter, The Thin Red Line, and Godzilla, but oh well, I'll live for now. :)

Also, bought this online to replace my regular version:

2pqovo9.jpg

Also, to anyone with one near them, Best Buy is having their "Upgrade & Save" promotion next week where you can trade in and DVD and get a $5 coupon to use on any blu-ray $9.99 and up. You can do 5 per visit, and there are definitely some good deals to be made. I believe Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol can be got for $5 with the deal.

Also, to anyone with one near them, Best Buy is having their "Upgrade & Save" promotion next week where you can trade in and DVD and get a $5 coupon to use on any blu-ray $9.99 and up. You can do 5 per visit, and there are definitely some good deals to be made. I believe Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol can be got for $5 with the deal.

I feel like replacing wouldn't be worth it unless it comes in a dvd double. I only have one Blu Player and a couple DVD players in the rest of the house. That being said, Fight Club and Pulp Fiction may have to be upgraded, I've heard the transfers are amazing.

Anyway, mom got be 100 bucks at walmart on top of my grandmas 50, so I blew all on blurays.

American Psycho, American History X, Swordfish, Something About Mary, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, Constantine, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Inception, Blow, Talladega Nights, Body of Lies, Edge of Darkness, The Departed, True Romance, Rounders, I am Legend, and The Fugitive.

Edited by AxlisOld

I feel like replacing wouldn't be worth it unless it comes in a dvd double. I only have one Blu Player and a couple DVD players in the rest of the house. That being said, Fight Club and Pulp Fiction may have to be upgraded, I've heard the transfers are amazing.

Anyway, mom got be 100 bucks at walmart on top of my grandmas 50, so I blew all on blurays.

American Psycho, American History X, Swordfish, Something About Mary, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, Constantine, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Inception, Blow, Talladega Nights, Body of Lies, Edge of Darkness, The Departed, True Romance, Rounders, I am Legend, and The Fugitive.

Well you can trade in any DVD and get a coupon towards any blu-ray; it doesn't have to be specific to that movie you traded in.

But anyway, I would say for movies like Fight Club and Pulp Fiction, the upgrade is more than worth it, regardless of it being just the blu-ray disc and no DVD.

That being said, glad to see you're finally joining us. Makes me feel good. :heart:

Also, if you're a BaN member, you can use an $8 off coupon, along with the member discount, and get most Criterions for around $10! I'll luckily be near one on Monday (they're usually 30 miles away, but I'll be out of town), so I'm taking a few coupons and hoping to pick up some more! Hoping to get Gimmie Shelter, The Thin Red Line, Rushmore, 12 Angry Men, and Gojira (possibly two copies; one for myself and one for a friend). I don't know if I'll be lucky enough to get that big of a haul all at once, but if not, I'll try my best to narrow it down. :)

I use my PS3.

That's the route I'm thinking of going. Since I'd be getting a Blu-Ray player and a gaming console in one, it's a bit better deal in my mind than shelling out $500 for a god-tier standalone player.

buy the ps3, do it!!!!!!!!!!!1

One more Amazon order of movies and then it's Netflix for me. The savings are just too much for me to pass up. However, I'm sure I'll buy the odd BR now and again...whatever NF doesn't have that I want to see badly enough.

Cutting my cable TV to basic as well. Fuck Rogers and Bell and their crappy selection.

Edited by KBear

I use my PS3.

That's the route I'm thinking of going. Since I'd be getting a Blu-Ray player and a gaming console in one, it's a bit better deal in my mind than shelling out $500 for a god-tier standalone player.

It is actually one of the better bluray players on the market...very good video peocessing and fast disc loading....the only downside is no remote control.........

I am not a gamer so I bought a OPPO BDP-93 player which is about the best you can buy and it is an amazing player.........

Edited by classicrawker

Did the Upgrade & Save at Best Buy today and got all three Ice Age movies, with the last one being the 3D version, and Underworld, all for $30. :headbang:

Was going to get The Patriot for $4.99, but someone got to it before I did. Hoping the store I'm near tomorrow has it, but if not, ours is still getting a couple more in. Been wanting that one for awhile.