The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Gah, this Ultraviolet HD bollocks, why is it not working???!!!

Here is a transcript of my chat with Flixster Ultraviolet support (I feel bad for the lady but it really was infuriating going round in circles):

[05:49 PM] Priscilla: Hi Amir, Welcome to Flixster-UltraViolet Customer Care! My name is Priscilla and I will be assisting you today. How can I help you?
[05:50 PM] Amir: Hi there, I recently purchased the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Blu-Ray 3D with Ultraviolet HD code and redeemed it for Flixster. Upon redeeming it, I am given no HD option and can only stream or download the film in SD on Flixster, despite the flyer saying Ultraviolet HD, why is this?
[05:52 PM] Priscilla: I'm sorry that your title got redeem in SD and not in HD, first Let's check your account, just a moment please.
[05:53 PM] Amir: Thank you
[05:54 PM] Priscilla: Amir I can see your title and it is in HD, Which device and browser are you using?
[05:54 PM] Amir: i'm on a Macbook Pro, and using Chrome
[05:55 PM] Amir: I looked in both the desktop Flixster account and my MyUV Ultraviolet account, the first only lets me watch in SD, the second says HD but then takes me to an SD stream (though that may be because of Internet connection)
[05:55 PM] Amir: But I wish to download the film to my Mac in HD
[05:56 PM] Priscilla: Amir we got your ticket too.
[05:56 PM] Amir: OK thank you
[05:57 PM] Priscilla: Amir you need to check if your Mac gives you the button to change it. Just a amoment please.
[05:59 PM] Priscilla: This information is important:
[05:59 PM] Priscilla: It sounds like the issue you're encountering has to do with your setup not supporting HD playback. For now, you can watch your titles in SD. To do so, click the ‘Watch in SD’ button that pops up when streaming from www.Flixster.com. Or, when playing back a downloaded title via the Flixster Desktop app, delete the download and re-download the title in SD.
[05:59 PM] Amir: I had a look in "Preferences" in the Flixster desktop app but there was nothing there
[05:59 PM] Amir: Why can my setup not support HD?
[06:00 PM] Amir: it's a Macbook Pro with Retina Display, I've had no problem watching iTunes HD films
[06:01 PM] Priscilla: More information on HD playback and compatible devices, in addition to other FAQs and troubleshooting tips, can be found on our support page here.
[06:01 PM] Amir: Yes, and it says that HD Download is available for Mac OS X
[06:01 PM] Priscilla: I Tunes is a complete different company and they have their own cloud too.
[06:02 PM] Amir: I know, but I don't understand why my device is not downloading HD when it is on the HD compatible list on your support pag?
[06:04 PM] Amir: HD Download is offered for PC/Mac desktop according to that list
[06:07 PM] Amir: i can stream in HD on my iPad, but no HD options are offered for my MacBook Pro
[06:07 PM] Priscilla: I understad but there are different parameters for now, because you are in a different zone or region.
[06:08 PM] Amir: it's a UK Blu-Ray which says Ultraviolet HD, why would it advertise it in on a UK product if it's not available in this region?
[06:09 PM] Priscilla: Amir they are working on this issue, we appreciate your patience, Do you have another device that gives you the HD?
[06:10 PM] Amir: the iPad offered the option, then only streamed in HD
[06:10 PM] Amir: I do not own a TV
[06:10 PM] Amir: only streamed in SD I mean
[06:11 PM] Priscilla: Is the region, I'm sorry I would love to change that for you.
[06:12 PM] Priscilla: They are working to improve those issues with Mac.
[06:12 PM] Amir: Yes, but it is false advertising if a product is sold advertising HD and does not offer HD. It is a UK Blu-Ray for purchase only in the UK, so why advertise it at all?
[06:12 PM] Amir: If it was a US Blu-Ray I would understand it being a region issue
[06:13 PM] Priscilla: It must be between the app and Mac.
[06:13 PM] Amir: but seeing as it is a UK Blu-Ray I do not understand why a product I was sold as offering HD does not have that option for a device that is on the list of supported devices
[06:13 PM] Amir: but your supported devices list has Web/Desktop as offering HD Download?
[06:14 PM] Priscilla: You are right, only that we have for UK and US, now if it appears like that your you, it means that they are working on it.
[06:14 PM] Amir: working on what, though? How will I know when it will be working? I am in London, UK?
[06:15 PM] Priscilla: Amir can you check it if you can see how it shows up in a friend's device different than yours?
[06:16 PM] Amir: It's currently 10pm here in the UK
[06:16 PM] Priscilla: Of course I don't expect you to do that right now, is when is possible for you.
[06:17 PM] Amir: I'll try on a device tomorrow, but why is it a problem for Mac when it is on the list of supported devices? I've even downloaded the latest version of the app for Mac
[06:18 PM] Priscilla: I wish I can explain that to you but is super technical, I am just a Customer Care agent!
[06:19 PM] Amir: Is there any tech support I can contact?
[06:21 PM] Priscilla: No but I can escalate your issue to them.
[06:21 PM] Amir: ok thank you
[06:22 PM] Priscilla: Thank You for your patience, I will send them your issue you will get a ticket in your email that only will say Research.
[06:22 PM] Priscilla: You are welcome, Is there anything else I can help you with?
[06:23 PM] Amir: no, that's everything, thank you
[06:24 PM] Priscilla: Thank you, Thank you for contacting Flixster Ultraviolet Customer Care! Have a nice day!
[06:24 PM] Amir: you too

Solution:

thepiratebay.se

• Like 2

Alright, so it's not a Blu-ray release, but I've pre-ordered The Saint: The Complete Series on DVD. It's long overdo for a proper North American release so I'm happy it will have all 118 episodes across 33 discs for a reasonable $150. To make things even better, The Persuaders is getting the same treatment for a whole $20. It must be the year of Roger Moore.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, here's a question for you guys - any tricks to get stickers off of slipcases without leaving residue? I was just thinking about it while I spent like 10 minutes getting the four stickers off of my Interstellar slipcase. They usually peel okay from glossy slipcases (Interstellar is, luckily) and if you take your time, but the matted slipcovers don't work so well. I spent a good 20 minutes working at Birdman before finally giving up and leaving the stickers on (For now). There's got to be a way to get a clean peel - isn't there?

Gamestop drove me nuts with stickers on games. They would take the print out of the slip case and put their huge price sticker right on the paper. It's really fucked up thatretailers are allowed to essentially vandalize a product before they sell it at full price.

• Like 1

Hey, here's a question for you guys - any tricks to get stickers off of slipcases without leaving residue? I was just thinking about it while I spent like 10 minutes getting the four stickers off of my Interstellar slipcase. They usually peel okay from glossy slipcases (Interstellar is, luckily) and if you take your time, but the matted slipcovers don't work so well. I spent a good 20 minutes working at Birdman before finally giving up and leaving the stickers on (For now). There's got to be a way to get a clean peel - isn't there?

Lol, didn't even finish reading your post and I thought "Birdman slip". Yeah, took me quite some time to get that shit off. I usually take them off very slowly and any residue leftover I work at with some WD-40 on a paper towel.

• Like 1

Lol, didn't even finish reading your post and I thought "Birdman slip". Yeah, took me quite some time to get that shit off. I usually take them off very slowly and any residue leftover I work at with some WD-40 on a paper towel.

Glad I'm not the only one that had problems with Birdman :lol:

WD-40 doesn't stain at all? I'll try that and the isopropanol that AxlsOld suggested. I'll do one each on slips I don't care as much about and see which comes out better :)

Glad I'm not the only one that had problems with Birdman :lol:

WD-40 doesn't stain at all? I'll try that and the isopropanol that AxlsOld suggested. I'll do one each on slips I don't care as much about and see which comes out better :)

I've never had any problems with it staining. It doesn't take a whole lot either. Always works for me.

Also, what version of Godzilla is that? I won't be getting it but it looks cool. I ordered the 2D steelbook version from Mexico for $20 so I'm happy with that. :)

^ You should've gotten the Amazon DE Exclusive. The statue was truly stunning.

You're right, but the bonus discs with this one look cool. Regardless I don't have the money for any of them right now, will add to wishlist :lol:

Also, what version of Godzilla is that? I won't be getting it but it looks cool. I ordered the 2D steelbook version from Mexico for $20 so I'm happy with that. :)

Japanese edition (came out in Feb).

Interstellar really looks amazing on Blu Ray. I did have one small concern with the sound mix though - does anyone else think the score is way too high in the mix at times? There were a handful of times in the film, particularly towards the beginning and the end, that the dialogue was nearly inaudible over the score.

Also, I'm glad to say BS' tip on using the WD-40 on slipcases worked fantastically. The only one I had an issue with was Skyfall, and that was only because I had a small spot which had pulled off with the sticker - I hadn't noticed at the time since the slipcase is white anyways, but now it's a little grease-stained on that one small spot :(

Interstellar really looks amazing on Blu Ray. I did have one small concern with the sound mix though - does anyone else think the score is way too high in the mix at times? There were a handful of times in the film, particularly towards the beginning and the end, that the dialogue was nearly inaudible over the score.

Also, I'm glad to say BS' tip on using the WD-40 on slipcases worked fantastically. The only one I had an issue with was Skyfall, and that was only because I had a small spot which had pulled off with the sticker - I hadn't noticed at the time since the slipcase is white anyways, but now it's a little grease-stained on that one small spot :(

It probably still looks better than the awful Canadian bilingual edition. The cover says "Skyfall Skyfall" in roughly the same size. I never get why they do that when the title is literally the same. Luckily I got around that by buying the steelbook which is nicely displayed. My next choice would have been actually using the Bond 50 slot for Skyfall.

It probably still looks better than the awful Canadian bilingual edition. The cover says "Skyfall Skyfall" in roughly the same size. I never get why they do that when the title is literally the same. Luckily I got around that by buying the steelbook which is nicely displayed. My next choice would have been actually using the Bond 50 slot for Skyfall.

I think I need to get a copy of that steelbook, it's fucking beautiful.

I know what you're saying about the Canadian releases though - my bilingual Canadian copy of [REC] 3: Genesis is the same way. It drives me crazy :lol:

I think I need to get a copy of that steelbook, it's fucking beautiful.

I know what you're saying about the Canadian releases though - my bilingual Canadian copy of [REC] 3: Genesis is the same way. It drives me crazy :lol:

I was lucky to snag it at the time of the release for around $20. If you can find a decently priced one, it really does look great. One of my favourite steelbooks.

Tell me about it! Whenever the exchange rate is decent I always buy movies from Amazon.com to avoid it. Sometimes it's okay - just a little sticker or a small generic font with the French writing - but most of the time it really destroys the front cover and the spines just look awful on the shelf.