Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Official Blu-Ray Thread

• Please log in to reply
2364 replies to this topic

Dazey

Dazey

Redcoat Bastard!

• SILVER
  • 16,891 posts
  • 25-November 02

Here's a hidden gem some might not know about..

Posted Image

This is one of my current favs in my collection.
The original version from the 80's.
It was released by a small,indie company called Twilight Time.
They specialize in releasing lesser known movies or those that are not guaranteed to have a mass appeal as far as sales go.
What makes it kind of neat is they are limited edition releases of 3,000 copies.
Once it sells out that's it...gone.
Try ebay.

This release was,in fact,their first sellout.

I preordered a copy the day it went up.The demand was so great the site that handles the distribution and orders for them (Screen Archives) crashed.People were freaking out.I luckily got my order in before the crash.
You have to be willing to take a bit of a bullet price-wise but any blu-ray I've got from this company so far has been totally worth it.
The blu-ray treatment is outstanding,just superb.Super clear and natural grain intact.I have the dvd as well and this just buries it (but enough about that here).The soundtrack has been remastered as well.
It's pretty much a barebones release,no extras apart from a trailer and an isolated soundtrack option.
But they do include a magnet of the cover (the cover as seen above) which is a neat little perk...looks cool on the fridge. :tongue2:

Absolutely one of the gems of my collection at this stage...really happy with it. :)

I'd give it a 9/10...probably the best it's ever going to look.
1 point knocked off for the lack of extras (but that's part of the deal when they license the movie for release).

One of my all time favourite movies! "you're soooo cool Brewster!!!!" :lol:

HV's Current Shit-list: Black Sabbath, Broskirose, Skype Crew (except Graeme), Miser, wfse and Dazey. Especially Dazey...

Forsaken

Forsaken

Annuit Cúptis

• Admins
  • 14,324 posts
  • 19-February 05
I fully support buying blu-rays and such. I don't think i've used any DVD's in almost a year now.

Just got this one finally:

Posted Image

wq0Xdzw.gif

....with eyes so dilated i've become your pupil 

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,423 posts
  • 31-March 04
I only have Inception on Blu ray but I'm think of getting some more. Step Brothers on Blue Ray next.

Ides Of March, Berlin, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Soul Monster, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song, Zodiac. You know you should believe!

Forsaken

Forsaken

Annuit Cúptis

• Admins
  • 14,324 posts
  • 19-February 05

Step Brothers on Blue Ray next.

Yeah I got that too. I must have seen that movie over 10 times :lol:

I'm Dale. But you have to call me Dragon.

wq0Xdzw.gif

....with eyes so dilated i've become your pupil 

Becket

Becket

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts
  • 05-September 07
All I have on Blu-Ray is

The Dark Knight
Star Trek (the newest one)
American Psycho
Apocalypto
District 9
Indiana Jones - Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Ocean's Thirteen
All the Pirate Of The Caribbean's
Terminator Salvation
Transformers - Revenge Of The Fallen
X-Files - I Want To Believe

Posted Image

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10

I have these movies on BR:

Cast Away
Derailed
No Country for Old Men
Rambo (the entire series)
Showgirls :lol:

Got an Oppo BDP-93 player.

Nice player! Not cheap but one of the best you can buy for under $1000....I am getting ready to spring for one so how do you like it?
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • 38,423 posts
  • 31-March 04

Step Brothers on Blue Ray next.

Yeah I got that too. I must have seen that movie over 10 times :lol:

I'm Dale. But you have to call me Dragon.

It was on hbo for ages.

What if one day she comes to me and says I've had the Bull now I want the young calf.

Were men, and we do men things like shit with door open, make our own beef jerky and go on river boat gambling trips.

We've literally never done any of those things.

Crossbows!

I think Apicalypse Now and Natural Born Killers.

Ides Of March, Berlin, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Soul Monster, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song, Zodiac. You know you should believe!

Leddy

Leddy

Senior

• SILVER
  • 997 posts
  • 20-August 04
Watched 2001 A Space Odyssey on Blu-Ray last night - AMAZING transfer, you won't believe a film from 1968 can look like this, looks like it was shot yesterday!
Leddy
--------------------

Posted Image

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 7,414 posts
  • 19-December 04

Do any of you import? I've got two on their way right now - Taken and The Hurt Locker - beautiful steelbooks. I'll post pictures later :)

Technically I import from the States all the time, if that counts. :P

Canadian releases are getting worse and worse for having the French writing take up just as much room as the English writing and therefore many covers are ruined and the writing on the spine becomes so small I can barely read it on my damn shelf. Order from the US, problem solved. ;)

Currently I'm waiting on this:

http://www.amazon.co...38733787&sr=8-1

22 Blu Rays and you get a hardcover book with all the Bond posters to date if you order from Amazon. $186 ain't bad at all. Plus, they thought ahead and left a space for Skyfall so it'll fit in the box when it's released.

5206.jpg

Toronto 2006 - Hamilton 2010 & 2011 - Buffalo 2013

KBear

KBear

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,928 posts
  • 03-January 03

More than I should :lol:

Really though, these are the most expensive ones, and they aren't even that bad. The first two, after shipping, I'll get for around $35-40 (for the pair), which is really good considering they're coming from overseas. Paul is a little more expensive though, mainly because of it's availability.

As for the blus I just buy around here though, in the states, I don't usually spend more than $10-15 on one single movie, and I don't even do that too often. Occasionally I'll splurge on a new release f $20 or so, but that's only if I really want the movie.

Amazon all the way for movies (though you probably buy stuff they don't always carry). I live in Canada, but I order from Amazon.com more than Amazon.ca. I'm charged for shipping across the border, but the prices are so much better that you still come out way ahead. I don't see how anyone can compete with Amazon on prices. We also have HMV stores up here, and Wal-Mart, and between these two and Amazon.com there is no shortage of inexpensive DVDs and BRs. Of course, when you start piling up the purchases, it adds up!

Cast Away
Derailed
No Country for Old Men

Nice player! Not cheap but one of the best you can buy for under $1000....I am getting ready to spring for one so how do you like it?

I like it quite a bit. Had two other players before settling on the Oppo. A Cambridge Audio 650BD and a Denon BDP-1611UD. The Denon had great audio quality for a universal player, but couldn't compare to the Oppo for video quality. You have to go up the Denon line (and pay something like $1,000) to get a player that has the video processing capability of the Oppo. The Cambridge was just an older machine and also couldn't compare (plus it was overpriced as well vs. the Oppo).

So I pretty much agree, if all you need is a great BR and DVD player (which is my situation), look no further than the Oppo. It has nice build quality too. If you also want a great CD player then you may have to look at the Oppo BDP-95 or something else from Denon, Marantz, or Arcam. But, I would always prefer a stand alone CD player. Or if you want games, a PS3, which from what I've heard holds it's own as a Blu-Ray player.

Edited by KBear, 03 June 2012 - 12:27 PM.

Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath

MYGNR Town Sheriff

• MOD SQUAD
  • 29,874 posts
  • 10-July 07

Do any of you import? I've got two on their way right now - Taken and The Hurt Locker - beautiful steelbooks. I'll post pictures later :)

Technically I import from the States all the time, if that counts. :P

Canadian releases are getting worse and worse for having the French writing take up just as much room as the English writing and therefore many covers are ruined and the writing on the spine becomes so small I can barely read it on my damn shelf. Order from the US, problem solved. ;)

Currently I'm waiting on this:

http://www.amazon.co...38733787&sr=8-1

22 Blu Rays and you get a hardcover book with all the Bond posters to date if you order from Amazon. $186 ain't bad at all. Plus, they thought ahead and left a space for Skyfall so it'll fit in the box when it's released.

Yeah, but you guys have HMV and get a lot more (and better) exclusives than we do!

But I know what you mean about the writing - there are a number of steelbooks I decided not to get due to the damn French writing all over it :tongue2:

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothin'." - Robin Williams

Randy Lahey

Randy Lahey

FRONTMAN

• Returned
  • 15,646 posts
  • 29-June 06
Make sure you read the picture and audio reviews when buying a blu ray. Recently I bought the Motorcycle Diaries at Future Shop because it was on sale, but when I got it home and put it on it was of terrible quality; probably worse than the dvd version, and of course the reviews reflected that.

Edited by Randy Lahey, 03 June 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image
Welcome To The Jungle of Smooth Flamenco Beatz
Dre Day will make Axl's payday.

Zint

Zint

• SILVER
  • 17,290 posts
  • 24-February 06

Make sure you read the picture and audio reviews when buying a blu ray. Recently I bought the Motorcycle Diaries at Future Shop because it was on sale, but when I got it home and put it on it was of terrible quality; probably worse than the dvd version, and of course the reviews reflected that.

Yeah you gotta watch that...there's some truly miserable transfers out there.

Time Bandits is 1080i.
Terminator 3 is 1080i...although there is apparantly a second release which has corrected this.

Be wary of blus at the $10 range...it can mean quicky knockoff to make a buck (Terminator 1..just awful).
But $10 blus can also be great...might be a great sale of blu done right...example..I've seen all Pirates OTC for ten bucks and they look AMAZING!

2i0u9oh.jpg

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10

More than I should :lol:

Really though, these are the most expensive ones, and they aren't even that bad. The first two, after shipping, I'll get for around $35-40 (for the pair), which is really good considering they're coming from overseas. Paul is a little more expensive though, mainly because of it's availability.

As for the blus I just buy around here though, in the states, I don't usually spend more than $10-15 on one single movie, and I don't even do that too often. Occasionally I'll splurge on a new release f $20 or so, but that's only if I really want the movie.

Amazon all the way for movies (though you probably buy stuff they don't always carry). I live in Canada, but I order from Amazon.com more than Amazon.ca. I'm charged for shipping across the border, but the prices are so much better that you still come out way ahead. I don't see how anyone can compete with Amazon on prices. We also have HMV stores up here, and Wal-Mart, and between these two and Amazon.com there is no shortage of inexpensive DVDs and BRs. Of course, when you start piling up the purchases, it adds up!

Cast Away
Derailed
No Country for Old Men

I like it quite a bit. Had two other players before settling on the Oppo. A Cambridge Audio 650BD and a Denon BDP-1611UD. The Denon had great audio quality for a universal player, but couldn't compare to the Oppo for video quality. You have to go up the Denon line (and pay something like $1,000) to get a player that has the video processing capability of the Oppo. The Cambridge was just an older machine and also couldn't compare (plus it was overpriced as well vs. the Oppo).

So I pretty much agree, if all you need is a great BR and DVD player (which is my situation), look no further than the Oppo. It has nice build quality too. If you also want a great CD player then you may have to look at the Oppo BDP-95 or something else from Denon, Marantz, or Arcam. But, I would always prefer a stand alone CD player. Or if you want games, a PS3, which from what I've heard holds it's own as a Blu-Ray player.

Thanks for the response KBear!...yeah I looked a the 95 also but sadly don't have the time to sit and listen to CD's properly so for me it is not worth it at double the price of the 95 just for the superior CD audio....I will get a 93 and a Sharp 70" Quattron when the new models come out soon and then next year upgrade my present 5.1 Marantz receiver to a Marantz SR7005 7.2 receiver and add 2 more surrounds and a second bass module to my present system....Should be kick ass once I am done..........
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

Zint

Zint

• SILVER
  • 17,290 posts
  • 24-February 06

And that reminds me, my Lost Collection is a prize of mine as well :D

I got this through Amazon on a one-day-only deal for $99

2i0u9oh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users