The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Alright, I've got a question for the big blu-ray people. Slipcover, or no slipcover? And will a slipcover ever deter you from getting a movie (i.e. you know that movie is supposed to have a slipcover, but the copy at the store doesn't have it, so you don't buy it at that time)?

I admit that I'm a slipcover guy, and I will easily not buy a movie if it doesn't have a slipcover and I know it's supposed to :tongue2:

For anyone maybe thinking about the Alien Anthology who hasn't gotten it yet...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alien-Anthology-Comicon-Egg-Package-Blu-ray-Widescreen-/140763512730

Great price for this edition! I already have the boxset version, but when I saw this today I somewhat considered trying to sell it to get this version :lol:

The boxset version is also currently $37 on Amazon! I may actually consider that since the bonus discs would be nice to have even if Alien 3 and Resurrection wouldn't be :tongue2:

Oh come on, they're still (somewhat) enjoyable

I'm terrible with this stuff - I know I shouldn't sell my boxset, but it's so tempting to have that packaging

Hell, like I posted in the thread before, I'm somewhat considering spending $300 for steelbook versions of the Harry Potter movies :lol:

Fuck it, I went out and impulse bought the Anthology - same price at Best Buy as on Amazon. I watched Alien 3 again yesterday...it still has few to no redeeming qualities :tongue2: I will admit though, the Xenomorph (Not counting when its CGI) does look pretty incredible. We'll see if my opinion changes at all when I see it in HD ;)

Alright, I've got a question for the big blu-ray people. Slipcover, or no slipcover? And will a slipcover ever deter you from getting a movie (i.e. you know that movie is supposed to have a slipcover, but the copy at the store doesn't have it, so you don't buy it at that time)?

I admit that I'm a slipcover guy, and I will easily not buy a movie if it doesn't have a slipcover and I know it's supposed to :tongue2:

I'm the same way - very particular about having my slipcovers!

The worst is when they slap the price on the slipcover, and you can't get all the adhesive off/take some of the print with it... <_<

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's only happened to mine once or twice, but usually I can get the sticker off without messing anything up. Then, to get the sticky shit off, I just just a little WD-40 and that usually does the trick! Most of mine that had stickers on the slips you can't even tell anymore. :)

**knocks BS on the head...tap.tap.tap**

Buy Gimme Shelter!

When that sale ends...it goes back to 40 bucks!

You get a lot of extras from Criterion...bonus performances and shit...do it!

You want Stones on blu?...it doesn't get much better than this!

It's so much more than just a Stones concert,Altamont is the event that pretty much ushered in the end of the hippie era.

"freeze frame right there...see that?...you can see the gun right there"..Mick squints and looks closely at the screen,gazing at the man holding the gun who would die seconds later from stab wounds inflicted by a Hells Angel,Mick gets up and leaves the room.

And it looks and sounds amazing in blu.

It's also a fantastic document of their '69 tour (not just ALtamont).

Curb your steelbook addiction for one day and treat yourself to one of the greatest rock documentaries ever filmed.

...for the best price I've ever seen it on sale for...half the price of what I paid when it came out. :shrugs:

I go through that phase every month! :lol: Hell, those Scream movies I bought are still in the plastic (granted I got them with a giftcard, but still). I've got a bunch more that I got weeks and even months ago that are still unopened! Then there are the ones that I opened, but still haven't watched :tongue2:

My Scream box set hasn't been opened yet either. :lol:

I've got a shitload still in shrinkwrap.I tend to wait for sales mostly,when they hit a ridiculously good price I jump.

I have some that I've bought,thrown on for a few minutes out of curiosity to see how they look and then file them.

I think of it as being like a well stocked library,with many as of yet unread titles.

(and the Alien collection is pretty fuckin boss) B)

How many blus do you have in your collection, Zint? And which do you think is your favorite?

First question: still don't know yet. :tongue2:

Second question: In thinking about it...the key being favourite,not "best" or whatever.I probably have put Tim Burton's BATMAN on more than any other.Just dig the film and it looks great on blu.

It's one of those "any occasion" movies.

Can't decide what to throw on...bam...Batmn.

SIck with the flu and dying in front of the t.v.,...bam..Batman.

It just works for me on those levels..always fun to watch.

Anyone have Predator on Blu Ray? How is the transfer on it? It was on sale at Best Buy for $4.99, but they wanted to sell it to me for $24.99 because it wasn't in the system on sale <_<

I do, the transfer is pretty good, better audio than video transfer but it's clearly HD quality. I must say the audio is outstanding.

It was the first Blu Ray I wanted when I switched.

The worst is when they slap the price on the slipcover, and you can't get all the adhesive off/take some of the print with it... <_<

I fucking HATE that!!! :angry:

Think I'm about due to treat myself to a new Blu or two. I's been quite awhile. Maybe next month I'll pick up a few when I'm in Toronto.

Anyone have Predator on Blu Ray? How is the transfer on it? It was on sale at Best Buy for $4.99, but they wanted to sell it to me for $24.99 because it wasn't in the system on sale <_<

Which version?

Either way,audio's good.. picture awright (one a little less sucky than the other).

For 4.99 I'd say what the hell.

Full price...wait for the release where someone finally gets it right.

How many blus do you have in your collection, Zint? And which do you think is your favorite?

Second question: In thinking about it...the key being favourite,not "best" or whatever.I probably have put Tim Burton's BATMAN on more than any other.Just dig the film and it looks great on blu.

I've been wanting to pick up the collection of the "old" Batman movies, but haven't gotten around to it yet, unfortunately. Nice answer, though. I love the older ones. :)

I have the "Ultimate Hunter Edition", and I think it looks great, but apparently there's another version that came out second I believe, that apparently has better quality. I'm not sure how big the difference is, but regardless, either version at 4.99 would be a steal. Did the tag or sticker say 4.99? If either one did, they're supposed to give it to you for that price, regardless of what it rings up as.

Also, I don't see my steelbook addiction dying down anytime soon...

spr1e.jpg

32145911_500x500_4.jpg

33207227_500x500_2.jpg

32146514_500x500_2.jpg

And there is going to be a Watchmen one soon, as well.

Someone is out to get me...

I've been wanting to pick up the collection of the "old" Batman movies, but haven't gotten around to it yet, unfortunately. Nice answer, though. I love the older ones. :)

I have the "Ultimate Hunter Edition", and I think it looks great, but apparently there's another version that came out second I believe, that apparently has better quality. I'm not sure how big the difference is, but regardless, either version at 4.99 would be a steal. Did the tag or sticker say 4.99? If either one did, they're supposed to give it to you for that price, regardless of what it rings up as.

Also, I don't see my steelbook addiction dying down anytime soon...

spr1e.jpg

32145911_500x500_4.jpg

33207227_500x500_2.jpg

32146514_500x500_2.jpg

And there is going to be a Watchmen one soon, as well.

Someone is out to get me...

is that the iron man one that is super expensive?

I was at Futureshop today,they had an entire steelbook section,I thought of your addiction. ^_^

They had a pretty nice From Dusk Till Dawn steel...was tempted.

Any you could remember off the top of your head, bud?

See, I wouldn't mind getting some from there (have to get to people online to get it for me and ship it), but I don't like the french writing on their releases.