The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

I ended up getting the Target edition of Oblivion. The bonus disc from Best Buy was a DVD with extra features that I figure I can buy separately if I ever really want it.

Still can't wait to get my steelbook from the UK for this movie :D

As far as the rest of the month goes for me:

37671_large.jpg44466_large.jpg68143_large.jpg

And maybe The Great Gatsby. Can't wait to get the 3 above, though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got me the Bands of Brothers/Pacific set on sale today. Got home and noticed a sizeable dent on the canteen case for the Pacific. I'm really OCD about that and thinking about taking it back for a replacement. I just know everyone in line and the CS rep are going to think I'm full on retard, but I cant help it :(

Anyone recommend any 3D blu rays? My new TV is being delivered on Saturday, and wondered what films looked stunning in 3D. :)

I've only seen a few 3D titles, and actually I don't much care for the technology, but finding Nemo looked pretty cool til it caused a headache.

Anyone recommend any 3D blu rays? My new TV is being delivered on Saturday, and wondered what films looked stunning in 3D. :)

I've only seen a few 3D titles, and actually I don't much care for the technology, but finding Nemo looked pretty cool til it caused a headache.

I'm off the same mind. I have a 3D TV but mostly because it was just built into the model I wanted. I have a couple 3D blu rays but I haven't been overly impressed with them. I don't get the headaches others do, but I'm still not that interested in 3D.

If I were to make a recommendation based on just the quality of the 3D I've seen, I'd say Prometheus is a good example.

I got my first steelbook today. I think I can see why you guys like these things so much.

U6mTsA7l.jpg

Haha. Steelbooks are awesome...and addictive!

That looks like a really cool one. I like the artwork on it.

I had to stop buying DVDs and Blu-Rays (I literally just ran out of room for them eventually, I got too fanatical about having to own every single movie that I liked/every 'essential' classic) but it was my main hobby for a few years. I think the first Steelbook I ever bought was for Die Hard (and I already owned the trilogy set but I re-bought it solely for the cool case; the discs, much to my disappointment, were identical :lol:).

Hugo & Life of Pi were really cool in 3D.

The only movies people should buy for collecting/value reasons are Criterion, Disney, and the steelbooks. You have to be savvy when something's "limited edition" and it turns out to be a marketing gimmick.

It's hard to say what the future of DVDs are going to be - I think we're going to see on demand from the big movie studios where they pay 15 a month for the movie library, and charge 10-20 dollars for the brand new movies that were just released in theaters. With the amount of money people are paying for cable, I think it's bound to happen in the next decade and people dropping their cable companies, because some of those shows are produced by the major studios.

Some DVDs will become collectible because some of the producers won't sign off on the film being streamed on demand. There's always a few holdouts.

Hugo & Life of Pi were really cool in 3D.

The only movies people should buy for collecting/value reasons are Criterion, Disney, and the steelbooks. You have to be savvy when something's "limited edition" and it turns out to be a marketing gimmick.

It's hard to say what the future of DVDs are going to be - I think we're going to see on demand from the big movie studios where they pay 15 a month for the movie library, and charge 10-20 dollars for the brand new movies that were just released in theaters. With the amount of money people are paying for cable, I think it's bound to happen in the next decade and people dropping their cable companies, because some of those shows are produced by the major studios.

Some DVDs will become collectible because some of the producers won't sign off on the film being streamed on demand. There's always a few holdouts.

Disney I can see being collectible as they are truly limited editions in some cases but you will never make big money off of them....the others you mentioned I have my doubts.

Don't see people dropping cable as there is too much non movie studio content, like sports, HBO, SHO, etc........someone has to deliver that content......

Would be nice to get new movies at home as some people have home theaters as nice as a movie theater with just smaller screens. I would pay for that.....