Help for a guitarist: Richard Fortus style playing.

SMG

His KOHD intro is totally a rip-off from Hendrix Little Wing.

About his licks, its not uncommon from him to use the same Buckethead repetitive licks.

Under no circumstances do I want this to turn into a Fortus bashing thread.

For me, I hear very similarities in Little Wing and his improvisation, presumably Fortus uses Hendrix inspired licks.....who wouldn't!

Regardless, even if it is a "rip-off" like you oh so claim, he's managed to implement similar techniques into a complete different song!

Anyway...if you don't have anything helpful to say....I think we should leave it at that!

Voodoo child's just jealous that Fortus gets paid big $$ to rip off hendrix on stage, while he's stuck doing it for free in his bedroom...

So because he doesn't think someone is original (and Fortus is anything but original by all means) he's jealous. Great logic, you sir are very smart. If you want to look at original players there are many out there. You simply will not find in Fortus. There's an awesomely original player playing with him every night :)

About his licks, its not uncommon from him to use the same Buckethead repetitive licks.

For me, I hear very similarities in Little Wing and his improvisation, presumably Fortus uses Hendrix inspired licks.....who wouldn't!

Regardless, even if it is a "rip-off" like you oh so claim, he's managed to implement similar techniques into a complete different song!

Anyway...if you don't have anything helpful to say....I think we should leave it at that!

Voodoo child's just jealous that Fortus gets paid big $$ to rip off hendrix on stage, while he's stuck doing it for free in his bedroom...

So because he doesn't think someone is original (and Fortus is anything but original by all means) he's jealous. Great logic, you sir are very smart. If you want to look at original players there are many out there. You simply will not find in Fortus. There's an awesomely original player playing with him every night :)

That's not my logic at all, that he doesn't think someone is original and that's why he's jealous - which doesn't make sense. Thanks for referring to me as sir and smrt though :-)

I'm sure he voodochild doesn't think toyota's are the 'original cars', but I'm sure he's not jealous of toyota's.

I think it's the ultimate hypocracy for some who covers up both their image of themselves, and their name, with a picture of hendrix like voodochild does - yet slags someone who plays rock music, for having some influence of that very same person in their playing (hendrix), when that person who ironically goes on stage with his own face and his own name, not a mask of hendrix and a his own name, not a hendrix reference name like "watchtower joe" :-) It's not even like the black pot calling the black kettle black, it's like the black pot calling the silver kettle black...

Never mind the numerous honerable deferences made by voodochild to hendrix, and that I would bet dollards to donuts voodochild has had many manchild fantasies about being hendrix, based on some of their posts.

So then when I look at what that hypocracy is motivated by or atributed to, jealousy rings as an obvious answer to me.

In Fortus' shoes, I'm sure voodo child would be throwing out hendrix licks right left and center, and calling it an homage, not a ripoff. In fact, I'm guessing voodochild plays in a band - I would love to know how many hendrix covers or hendrix licks make it into his own music. But when someone making $$ does that - then that's suddenly a bad thing...

Edited by kbirdie76

Fortus is also very original. He's rock and roll to the core - as a person and as an professional. You should look up a bio of his life, especially his early life.

In terms of guitar playing, is DJ any good and how does he stack up to Richard and Ron?

We all know Ron smokes both their asses.

I don't want to sound like a DJ basher but he is easily the weakest guitarist in the band. He's good at what he does though. Even though his songwriting often leans to the generic side he has a good ear for melody so it would be his hooks that he can bring to the table as far as songwriting goes. As a player, he's nothing special. He gets the job done, and I'd call him a good player. He's a better showman.

Instead of arguing ad saying he isn't original...

Linking me to the artists that he DOES USE (I'd like names and videos linking to their style/lessons if possible).

Christ, people on here just want to win arguments.

That's not my logic at all, that he doesn't think someone is original and that's why he's jealous - which doesn't make sense. Thanks for referring to me as sir and smrt though :-)

I'm sure he voodochild doesn't think toyota's are the 'original cars', but I'm sure he's not jealous of toyota's.

I think it's the ultimate hypocracy for some who covers up both their image of themselves, and their name, with a picture of hendrix like voodochild does - yet slags someone who plays rock music, for having some influence of that very same person in their playing (hendrix), when that person who ironically goes on stage with his own face and his own name, not a mask of hendrix and a his own name, not a hendrix reference name like "watchtower joe" :-) It's not even like the black pot calling the black kettle black, it's like the black pot calling the silver kettle black...

Never mind the numerous honerable deferences made by voodochild to hendrix, and that I would bet dollards to donuts voodochild has had many manchild fantasies about being hendrix, based on some of their posts.

So then when I look at what that hypocracy is motivated by or atributed to, jealousy rings as an obvious answer to me.

In Fortus' shoes, I'm sure voodo child would be throwing out hendrix licks right left and center, and calling it an homage, not a ripoff. In fact, I'm guessing voodochild plays in a band - I would love to know how many hendrix covers or hendrix licks make it into his own music. But when someone making $$ does that - then that's suddenly a bad thing...

Got butthurt? :thumbsup:

I can't believe you compared using an avatar on a message board with going on stage and playing other people's licks. Yeah, that's exactly the same thing. Most interesting is that you don't even have an avatar with your picture or use a real name. Tell me about irony and hypocracy, internet tough guy.

I already replied to OP about what I said, I won't bother talking about it again with your silly shit. Your assumptions are over the top ridiculous and seems like you're really trying hard to attack me just because you don't even have enough knowledge to really prove me wrong about what I said in one of the posts, even though I not only explained, but also even brought some more into the discussion.

But hey, feel free to act like an idiot over nothing, if that's your thing.

I'm gonna take that option. You've contributed nothing of value to this thread and you're just here to derail it. You should make your own Fortus is a Ripoff thread elsewhere to have the argument you so clearly want.

I'm gonna take that option. You've contributed nothing of value to this thread and you're just here to derail it. You should make your own Fortus is a Ripoff thread elsewhere to have the argument you so clearly want.

I actually posted about his style and later posted a video with richard talking about his rig. The thread is about Richard Fortus style playing and all I said is that he uses other people style. The rip-off comment was a joke, like I said already.

On the other hand, your only post on this very thread was to complain about something that was already discussed and adressed.

Did someone just say Fortus is not original? this guy can play ANYTHING and his new parts he ADDED and CREATED on KOHD is out of this world.

The issue is not that he added stuff to a song, it's the other player's influences that he used to do it. Everybody's influenced by someone. You can hear a bit of Hendrix, a bit of Freddie King, some country fingerpicking and bends, but done in the style of Jeff Beck, there's probably Jimmy Page in there because everybody takes from Page, he does a bit of slide so maybe Duane Allman also...