Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why the endless touring? And other questions.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Chewbacca

Chewbacca

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts
  • 23-December 10

Get a girlfriend.

I've got one.

Go play Megaman X then.

I'M HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE  25jhz46.gif THIS I FEEL AS THE DAWN IT FADES TO GRAY

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • 12-April 05
Indigo -

Yes, the attempted comeback tour in '02 was titled "Chinese Democracy" as it was introducing the Chinese Democracy era of the band, but it obviously was not the actual tour for the album as the album was nowhere in sight and they only previewed a few songs from the record on the tour.

And if that tour was ENDLESS, what the fuck was the band doing from 2002 until 2006?!?

ARX77

ARX77

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • 04-January 12

Why is Axl taking GN'R on a seemingly endless tour since 2009, to ostensibly promote an album which came out THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO? I mean if we count 2002-2009, this tour has been going on for the better part of ten years. If we don't, he's been touring CD for three years now....I don't know of any band that promotes one album for so long.

And since Bucket and Finck are gone, where does that leave the CD era stuff they did which would likely comprise CD II? Are we going to have more Bumblefoot Elephant Solos ™ overdubbed on Bucket songs? Or DJ Ashba turning a Finck song into some sort of Motley Crue-esque thing, with subliminal messages about buying his AshbaSwag buried in the mix? I really doubt Axl would release the rest of the CD material without making sure the current members of the band are on it--He took another year and a half to make BBF and Frank part of CD just to have a sense of continuity. And there's no indication that any of the new members have entered the studio yet, much less Axl.

So what is the idea here? What does Axl want at this point, what's the nature of his game? Sometimes I feel like being a GNR fan today is like what being a Michael Jackson fan post 1993 must've been like.

Where do we go now?

It wasnt that long ago that we were all starved for GnR to tour and now they are... Im glad they're active and hope they tour the USA again before the year ends. A new album would be great but i dont get my hopes up, in fact i wanted CD out for the most part because i knew they would eventually tour it again.

Im sure the unreleased CD stuff will be reworked to an extent, i highly doubt we will get a new album of 100% original material. honestly im not sure how good it would be... I dont like BBF solo work at all, Sixx AM is decent, i couldn't tell you anything 4tus has done of substance... I like Stinson's solo efforts for the most parts.
If you hunger for what you see you'll take it eventually
You can have everything you want but you better not take it from me

Chewbacca

Chewbacca

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,405 posts
  • 23-December 10

Indigo -

Yes, the attempted comeback tour in '02 was titled "Chinese Democracy" as it was introducing the Chinese Democracy era of the band, but it obviously was not the actual tour for the album as the album was nowhere in sight and they only previewed a few songs from the record on the tour.

And if that tour was ENDLESS, what the fuck was the band doing from 2002 until 2006?!?

Good point.

I'M HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE  25jhz46.gif THIS I FEEL AS THE DAWN IT FADES TO GRAY

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06

Indigo -

(As a foreword, I am rather nervous in replying to this. I am afraid that you will respond with an offer of a $10,000 bet or a creepy invitation to your house)

It was titled the Chinese Democracy tour. The album was supposed to come out in 2001, then in 2002. It was in sight given how much Axl talked about it. Let's not fuck around here. It was not an introduction to the band, it was to promote the album which was supposedly pretty much finished. Axl said in his August 2002 press release that they were basically putting finishing touches on the album "wrapping up the baby", he even showed off the cover art, etc.

And from 2002 to 2006 they were probably dealing with the legal fallout of the aborted 2002 tour as well as searching for a new lead guitarist once Bucket quit, along with other issues. But you probably know this already, from the jump drive in China.

I do find it kind of odd how a guy could go from attempted extortion and blackmail of a band and theft of their property and distribution of said stolen property, to jumping on anyone who is disappointed with the status quo. You are an admitted "troll", though, so there's that.

Edited by Indigo Miser, 03 June 2012 - 01:16 PM.

-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

Bruno P.

Bruno P.

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts
  • 10-October 07
The "endless" tour is a 2.5 years tour. But yes, the lack of new material is kind of frustrating at this point because Axl himself mentioned that in 2009 we could hear new music (And Bach, and other band members, etc). I think that's why people are wanting explanation from the man himself.

"When the whole world looks at me they see some other guy
Doesn't matter what I say, they all made up their minds
I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now
But I find the strength to smile somehow"

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Banned
  • 4,392 posts
  • 12-April 05

It was titled the Chinese Democracy tour. The album was supposed to come out in 2001, then in 2002. It was in sight given how much Axl talked about it. Let's not fuck around here. It was not an introduction to the band, it was to promote the album which was supposedly pretty much finished. Axl said in his August 2002 press release that they were basically putting finishing touches on the album "wrapping up the baby", he even showed off the cover art, etc.

And from 2002 to 2006 they were probably dealing with the legal fallout of the aborted 2002 tour as well as searching for a new lead guitarist once Bucket quit, along with other issues. But you probably know this already, from the jump drive in China.

I do find it kind of odd how a guy could go from attempted extortion and blackmail of a band and theft of their property and distribution of said stolen property, to jumping on anyone who is disappointed with the status quo. You are an admitted "troll", though, so there's that.

Axl said live on MTV before launching the US tour that the album would not be out soon. So in late 2002, before even starting the tour, he made it very clear that "soon" was not the word.

The album was released SIX years later.

While it may be fun for bitter ex-fans to pretend that there has been an endless ten year Chinese Democracy tour, the truth is far more mundane. In the last ten years, there's been four years of touring.

I never attempted to extort or blackmail anyone and while that accusation is commonly thrown around, nobody has been able to support that premise because it simply isn't true. I released details of a tentative announcement, but waited to do so until after the announcement would have taken place, as to not spoil things in the unlikely event that the announcement was still scheduled.

How some of you try to twist that into blackmail, I will never understand.

But what I do understand is why people try to bring it up any time they've been proven wrong. It's an easy way to change the subject. The problem is, it's losing its effectiveness. At some point, the facts have to stand for themselves and childish tactics like calling me fat or falsely accusing me of blackmail just aren't going to cut it anymore.

Look, I can understand why some hardcore fans would be tired of Chinese by now and desperate for something new. I get it.

BUT, just because we heard leaks & live recordings years ago doesn't mean the band shouldn't be able to do a proper world tour once the album was actually released. Granted, it was a bit odd to start the tour one year after the release, as well as take a one year break in the middle of the tour, but regardless, it looks like it will end up being two years of touring for the album.

That's pretty typical. Far from endless.

If you're bored by Chinese at this point, find something else to do with your time. I'm willing to email you once a new album is announced.

Crash Diet

Crash Diet

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 5,177 posts
  • 22-October 11

childish tactics

You're even mentioned that you got a troll army, so, who is the childish? :violin:

Best post ever: Damn_Smooth about DJ Ashba

Damn_Smooth, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm butthurt that that jackass lives in a house like that. I don't have any talent either, why don't I have a mansion?

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Banned
  • 4,392 posts
  • 12-April 05
english please

stumbleine

stumbleine

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • 02-April 12
all the "facts" in the world can't disguise the fact that Axl has become a grim creature on automatic!

Edited by stumbleine, 03 June 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
MSL, on the Chinese Democracy tour:
http://mistersaintla...play&thread=346

"On December 16, Guns N' Roses took the stage in Abu Dhabi to cap off the most recent leg of the never-ending Chinese Democracy World Tour.

On December 15, Guns N' Roses manager Doc McGhee was informed by members of the band that Tommy Stinson did not intend to take the stage.

And now, on February 2, those same band members find themselves uninformed, unpaid and searching for the same answers as the rabid GNR fanbase . . .

What is next for Guns N' Roses?

Answering that question is nearly impossible and Doc McGhee is just the latest in a long line of managers learning first hand that no matter what you have planned, at any point, W. Axl Rose may take his ball and go home.

While McGhee refused to comment for this story, documents recently received by mistersaintlaurent.com reveal a very thorough and dedicated plan to re-market Chinese Democracy in the US later this year.

A full North American arena tour and Best Buy exclusive reissue of Chinese Democracy would both launch on March 29. The tour would run through May 17 and hit 30 markets, including NY, LA, Vegas, Ft. Lauderdale, Boston, Detroit, Toronto, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Tampa, Philly, DC, Denver, San Jose, Calgary, Winnipeg, Omaha and Houston.

The album reissue would contain new artwork and a second disc containing bonus material. In addition to remixes of tracks from the album, the bonus disc would contain a new song 'Blood In The Water' as well as a new version of 'Better' featuring DJ Ashba, which would serve as the radio single for the reissue.

All of this would be announced February 7, with a secret show the day before the Super Bowl (February 5) at The Lodge in Dallas. Yet, it's February 2 and those in the GNR camp that were willing to speak to mistersaintlaurent.com insist they have not received any airfare or itinerary.

While nobody would dispute that a very disappointed Axl Rose has holed himself up at home once again, most agreed he was justifiably upset.

"When we got back to the states, we expected Doc to have a US tour ready for us," said one member of Guns N' Roses that spoke with mistersaintlaurent.com. "When we found out things were still up in the air, everyone was deflated, but Axl took the news the worst," he continued.

But why is Doc McGhee having so much trouble finalizing a North American tour? Multiple sponsors have already signed on, including John Varvatos, Bloomingdales and Deleon Tequila. Companies such as Monster Energy and Harley-Davidson have had discussions with GNR as well about sponsoring a tour.

The answer may very well lie with Axl's previous manager, the mega powerful Irving Azoff. With Azoff controlling everything from venues to ticketing, many have accused Azoff of interfering with Doc's plan of attack for 2011.

So with the tour appearing to be off, where does that leave things with Best Buy? Although Best Buy had been burned by the first release of Chinese Democracy, they've pledged major funds to help market a reissue. Will they continue to be so supportive when clearly it is impossible for Guns N' Roses to reliably stick to any sort of plan.

And if and when the band returns, who will be playing bass? It wasn't that long ago that Duff McKagan appeared on stage with the band, a move that shocked fans throughout the world.

But what wasn't publicly known at the time was that for years there have been internal discussions about canning Stinson due to problems with alcohol as well as his treatment of staff and crew. What role this played in Stinson threatening to not take the stage in Abu Dhabi is not known, but what is known is that as far back as 2008, Axl and other members of the band had many discussions about the pros and cons of a Duff return, a return Duff has privately expressed interest in repeatedly behind closed doors.

So what is next for Guns N' Roses? Unfortunately, not even Guns N' Roses itself knows the answer to that question.

But rest assured, this story is far from over."
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,276 posts
  • 12-December 08

Why is Axl taking GN'R on a seemingly endless tour since 2009, to ostensibly promote an album which came out THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO? I mean if we count 2002-2009, this tour has been going on for the better part of ten years. If we don't, he's been touring CD for three years now....I don't know of any band that promotes one album for so long.

And since Bucket and Finck are gone, where does that leave the CD era stuff they did which would likely comprise CD II? Are we going to have more Bumblefoot Elephant Solos ™ overdubbed on Bucket songs? Or DJ Ashba turning a Finck song into some sort of Motley Crue-esque thing, with subliminal messages about buying his AshbaSwag buried in the mix? I really doubt Axl would release the rest of the CD material without making sure the current members of the band are on it--He took another year and a half to make BBF and Frank part of CD just to have a sense of continuity. And there's no indication that any of the new members have entered the studio yet, much less Axl.

So what is the idea here? What does Axl want at this point, what's the nature of his game? Sometimes I feel like being a GNR fan today is like what being a Michael Jackson fan post 1993 must've been like.

Where do we go now?

Axl explained what he wanted to do this year - see what bites as far as record labels go, and take the show to different places for most of the year.

Michael Jackson was busy in the 90s, he had a lot of hits off of HIStory & Dangerous, and did a lot of touring, but late 90s to Invincible, he was doing career damage control, and pretty much didn't perform live, which raised a lot of questions about his health.

He's not the only one in putting recording on hold. Deep Purple said "why bother, people are just going to take it".

Chris 55

Chris 55

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 4,759 posts
  • 18-February 06

Get a girlfriend.

I've got one.

Go play Megaman X then.

Yeah that really was weird wasn't it? X5 I think the game was
Posted Image

tomazrui

tomazrui

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • 02-January 06

Get a girlfriend.

I've got one. I'm just trying to spark SOME discussion because things seem bleak, as a GN'R fan...Even though the band is touring, the highlight of any discussion is 14 Years (a 21 year old song) being played again. There's not much to really discuss.

You're trolling around here bashing Bumblefoot and other bandmembers. Seriously, there's nothing to discuss. There are thousands of topics already with your questions.

Yep. I just ignore.
SIGNATURE EDITED: PLEASE CHECK SIGNATURE GUIDELINES:
http://www.mygnrforu...?showtopic=9592

Sleeping Like An Angel

Sleeping Like An Angel

Near, Far, Wherever You Are!

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • 11-September 10
Why do they tour? Best way of making money.

Has Axl ever commented on whether he likes or dislikes touring? I ask because I always ASSUMED Michael Jackson loved touring and performing. He was born to be on stage. I was shocked when I found out he didn't like it.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel, 03 June 2012 - 03:10 PM.

3129u77.jpg

Dublin '06 / Rome '10 / London '10 / London '10 / Birmingham '10 / Manchester '10
Dublin '12 / Glasgow '12 / Manchester '12 / London '12
/ Las Vegas '12 - 21st, 23rd & 24th

"Top o' the mornin' to ya" - A. Vedder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users