Remembering the Good ol' Days - 2010

AppetiteForGnR

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is also compulsory listening for the 2010 aficionados. Skip to 1:00. Axl's vocals gives me chills. Like having an old friend back! Fucking love him. He was in the zone. Definition of kicking ass. I hope to see him let loose like this again.

Edited by Eu4ic

Jesus Christ, he sounded awesome in that first video. Most of these videos in fact, I don't think I'd appreciated quite how amazing he was in 2010 (despite seeing them twice then) until I re-evaluated those videos in comparison to the vocals on the current tour.

I guess what we all would really like to know is whether or not Axl can do that again, whether the current vocals are just a rut he's in, or if it's all downhill from here. I mean, a lot of people felt that he was vocally done in 2001-02 and then he came roaring out of nowhere with some of his strongest live performances in '06-'10 so there is a possibility that he could get back up to that standard. For the record, I don't think he's necessarily doing badly on the current tour, it's a definite improvement from 2011 when there was obviously the extended bronchitis fucking the whole thing up, and he's definitely capable of putting in the rasp at some points during the show, but it's a definite step down from the videos in this thread.

What do people think?

Guest Gunns

I'll post some Australian 2010 videos later which is when Axls voice was at it's absolute best in 2010 cause it was at the end of the year.

I still have high hopes he will get back to sounding like how he did a few years ago.

wow, in 2010 they made some really good cameras that could capture the raspy voice, damn those 2011/2012 models that make axl's voice sound so bad.

now seriously, great videos. axl was great.

It is understandable how those who are seeing GNR for the first time (and have little knowledge of Axl's performances in 2010) can see how the guy sounds great lately. But anyone who posts here regularly makes little sense in arguing that he sounds as good now as he did back then. There is just no comparison between what Axl's been passing off for vocals since Rio of last year and how he was sounding two years ago.

I think the biggest difference is in 2010, Axl sounded like Axl that we heard back in the 80s and 90s and and most recordings. The power, the grittiness, the shrieks, all the characteristics that we closely associate with the Axl sound. Now he just sounds like he's trying to sound like his former self.

Anyone still arguing he sounds great needs to return to this thread and listen to reality. I saw GNR back in Hamilton in 2011 and it was a completely different vocal performance than what I heard in 2010 in the same venue. That's not based on youtube videos, that's based on actually being there. Some like to argue that it was bronchitis, but that's bullshit. If that were the case, then why does he still sound weak and squeaky throughout most concerts, even the most recent ones in England and France?

Performances will always sound better in person; it's recorded video that will truly demonstrate the quality of a given performance as it cuts out the low and high end that can compensate for many things. The elevated excitement, decibel levels, and crowd energy that you get a concert will absolutely distort the performance's true measure.

I'll be forever grateful that I was able to hear Axl sound his iconic self one more time. My hope is we'll hear it again some time soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

wow, in 2010 they made some really good cameras that could capture the raspy voice, damn those 2011/2012 models that make axl's voice sound so bad.

now seriously, great videos. axl was great.

It is understandable how those who are seeing GNR for the first time (and have little knowledge of Axl's performances in 2010) can see how the guy sounds great lately. But anyone who posts here regularly makes little sense in arguing that he sounds as good now as he did back then. There is just no comparison between what Axl's been passing off for vocals since Rio of last year and how he was sounding two years ago.

I think the biggest difference is in 2010, Axl sounded like Axl that we heard back in the 80s and 90s and and most recordings. The power, the grittiness, the shrieks, all the characteristics that we closely associate with the Axl sound. Now he just sounds like he's trying to sound like his former self.

Anyone still arguing he sounds great needs to return to this thread and listen to reality. I saw GNR back in Hamilton in 2011 and it was a completely different vocal performance than what I heard in 2010 in the same venue. That's not based on youtube videos, that's based on actually being there. Some like to argue that it was bronchitis, but that's bullshit. If that were the case, then why does he still sound weak and squeaky throughout most concerts, even the most recent ones in England and France? Performances will always sound better in person; it's recorded video that will truly demonstrate the quality of a given performance as it cuts out the low and high end that can compensate for many things. The excitement, decibel levels, and crowd energy will help distort the performance's true measure.

I'll be forever grateful that I was able to hear Axl sound his iconic self one more time. My hope is we'll hear it again some time soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

axl's been struggling since the latest rio cause something is wrong with his voice. could be bronchitis. something medical. a medicall problem which is hurting vocal chords and throat

Edited by finck6

axl's been struggling since the latest rio cause something is wrong with his voice. could be bronchitis. something medical. a medicall problem which is hurting vocal chords and throat

I do think it's a medical issue, but I have my doubts it's bronchitis. Unless it's chronic bronchitis (which is fairly rare), it would have cleared up by now. Moreover, unless Axl's guzzling cough suppressants before hitting the stage, he'd be coughing all through the show with either acute or chronic bronchitis. Whatever he was suffering from in 2000-2002 is my guess as to what's affecting his voice since September of last year. It's definitely something that affects his high-range as mid-range is still capable of sounding like the Axl we heard in 2010.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

I do think it's a medical issue, but I have my doubts it's bronchitis. Unless it's chronic bronchitis (which is fairly rare), it would have cleared up by now. Moreover, unless Axl's guzzling cough suppressants before hitting the stage, he'd be coughing all through the show with either acute or chronic bronchitis. Whatever he was suffering from in 2000-2002 is my guess as to what's affecting his voice since September of last year. It's definitely something that affects his high-range as mid-range is still capable of sounding like the Axl we heard in 2010.

Cheers,

Andrew

what medical issue do you think it is? something is causing axl 2 struggle lately live. on easy songs 2 sing like estranged, axl sounds fine. but on harder songs 2 sing like TIL, axl struggles. it's not mickey mouse. it's something else. a medical issue. what do you think it is? if it is a medical issue, maybe axl should take a break and spend time at a clinic until his voice is fixed.