Remembering the Good ol' Days - 2010

AppetiteForGnR

Listen to the 14th October 2010 London O2 bootleg. Even if he gets a lyric in WTTJ wrong and mixes order of verses in RQ, it's an amazing performance and a great setlist (Nice Boys! IRS!). It's the only bootleg I listen to constantly. The YCBM is phenomenal, I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing (DUFF!). Was a bit disappointed by O2 shows this year in comparison, but still had a great time (IZZY!). Atlantic City gig this year though he was on pretty good form, I doubt even 2010 Axl could do the 2nd verse of Estranged with rasp so I'm not gonna hold that against him. Speaking of Atlantic City, first time I heard him sing Shackler's like that, and the performances of Shackler's on the UK tour were similarly great. That's one song that's definitely sung better than in 2010.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His rasp was excellent then. 2011 wasn't terrible in the latter stages either. Did he get lazy? Did he stop warming up? I don't know, but, i'm sure live it still doesn't sound terrible. Compressed videos never do justice to the actual in person performance. You can't tell me that none of you guys have been to a concert that you recorded and thought it was amazing then gone home, watched the video, and thought "Jesus, that was off key like a bitch."

His rasp was excellent then. 2011 wasn't terrible in the latter stages either. Did he get lazy? Did he stop warming up? I don't know, but, i'm sure live it still doesn't sound terrible. Compressed videos never do justice to the actual in person performance. You can't tell me that none of you guys have been to a concert that you recorded and thought it was amazing then gone home, watched the video, and thought "Jesus, that was off key like a bitch."

I don't think anyone is denying that recordings generally come off differently than personal exposure. A live setting will always cover up mistakes and off moments. Having played in a band for six years, I'm well aware of how deaf audiences can be due to the nature of live performances. And you're right, 2011 wasn't terrible, but compare the videos from 2010 and 2011. There's a remarkable difference in vocal quality. The reason for this can't because of the recording equipment. Why would videos in 2010 be so much better than videos in 2011? The variable here is Axl, not the equipment recording him.

Cheers,

Andrew

I saw him in 2002, 2006, and twice in 2011. 2006 was by far the best, like the 2010 shows. It was like the old days (saw him in 90 and 91 too). The late 2011 shows were good, better than 2002, and way better than the rio disaster in 11. I heard rumors a long time ago, he needed vocal surgery after 02, and maybe that's why he dissapeared for a while. Anyone know anything about this. It seems like he still can get some rasp when he wants to, Jungle always sounds great with lots of rasp. Later in the show in songs like Rocket Queen and PC, it seems like he chooses not too use the rasp, or he can't do it and something may have given out with the vocal chords and he's trying to preserve what he has.