Do you think Axl ever regrets keeping the name?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's is quite possible to focus on newer material (which he does by playing 6-8 songs from CD every night), and to support your current bandmates (which he does by giving them ample opportunity to play solos and own material during shows, and by using their creations on the records), while still keeping the band name.

Axl has never expressed a desire to move on from his Guns N' Roses vision. Letting go of the name would be to abandon his plans and his vision.

There would be no better way for Axl to support his current bandmates than to establish their own identity by getting them out of the GNR shadow. A huge step toward establishing their own identity would be to give them a new band name,

Not necessarily. By keeping the name these guys gets lots of attention, something they might not get if they were only part of a new band with a famous singer.

or better yet allow all 7 bandmates to be included in the decisionmaking process of coming up with a new name.

Or better yet: Releasing a new album as quick as possible.

7 Democracy songs out of a 25 song set (35 songs including solos/instrumental jams) is not properly supporting the newer music.

Playing 7 songs of a new record that wasn't ecstatically received 4 years after its release, IS properly supporting the new music. It is more than what one could hope for. The fact that they ALSO play 18 old songs and covers has no bearings on this. It is the total number of songs played, not the percentage, that is important.

Now I'm not advocating they don't perform any pre-1994 songs at all, but certainly they should at the very least be performing as many newer songs of their own than they do older songs from the classic lineup.

That could only happen by either playing less old songs, and hence reducing the set, or boring the audience with even more CD songs, none of which are good options.

Axl has called his separation from classic GNR a divorce, keeping the GNR name is equivalent to divorcing your wife but still living in the same house with her. A fresh start should be just that, not a continuation of something that was established long ago with people that are no longer in your life.

But he is not living in the same house with her, she left many years ago. He is still living in the same house, but with a new wife.

Big mistake, if he actually believed that. I'm going to go out of my way here and say that the current band is not bad. But, and this is a huge BUT, they have some very big shoes to fill. And releasing 1 album in 10 years and making no vídeos doesn't help to make us, stubborn fans, forget the old band, which we fell in love with, not because Slash wore a cool hat or because of Duff's punk looks, but because musically speaking they delivered great albums.

Most people complain(ed) about buckethead's weird KFC bucket or about DJ Ashba's lack of stage presence, but it all boils down to the music. I couldn't care less about what musicians wear on stage. It's all about the music. About cool solos, cool riffs, memorable choruses, great hooks, great bass lines. Not about wearing expensive clothes on stage.

It only takes 1 great album with memorable songs to make us all forget about the past and move on. And that's no small feat, I know. But Axl has the musical genius to make great records. He just needs the right musicians.

...and so far he has NOT been able to substituye Izzy, Slash and Duff in that department.

Edited by Madridista

Big mistake, if he actually believed that. I'm going to go out of my way here and say that the current band is not bad. But, and this is a huge BUT, they have some very big shoes to fill. And releasing 1 album in 10 years and making no vídeos doesn't help to make us, stubborn fans, forget the old band, which we fell in love with, not because Slash wore a cool hat or because of Duff's punk looks, but because musically speaking they delivered great albums.

I haven't forgotten the old band, just like I haven't forgotten Beatles or any bands of the past. I also don't think anything Axl does now with the current band will in any way diminish the fond memories I have of the AFD lineup. I admire him for giving it a chance, I admire him for the balls he has to go through with it despite all the hate and anger he gets, and I for one will support him, even if he will never outshine his past. It is okay. As long as he tour and occasionally release new music that is okay, I am fine. I listen to the old albums and go to youtube when I want to reminisce, and listen to CD and other more current music when I feel the need for that. It is all good.

No. Axl came up with the bands' name in the first place. So, it's within his right to trademark it. It didn't hurt anything for him, that trademark is worth it. As for him being limited by the fans need for GN'R to be more like the classic lineup, i completely disagree. He has the rights to the name. He has the right to make whatever album he wants. He could make an album comprised entirely of echo farts on a snare drum with background singing and call it "Appetite 2". His trademark, his name, his right. I don't believe Axl Rose is a person that lives with regrets. He makes his choices, he lives with them.

In fact, the only people this has really hurt is the ex-members of the band (two in particular). Axl took control of the name and they (Slash + Duff) let him. Whether they were given an ultimatum by management to do so (likely), we'll never know. So, the way I see it, they got what they deserved. If you allow something you don't want to happen to happen, it's no one's fault but your own. If there was any reason for the other members to stand up and show some pride (at the time) it was this issue. It's a colossal fuck up on the part of Slash + Duff (for signing the papers) and to a much lesser extent Adler(only because he was borderline retarded and had been ejected due to his inability to keep sober). Izzy escapes blame in this for cutting ties with the band before the Use Your Illusion tour.

Edited by SWIFTSLICK

No. Axl came up with the bands' name in the first place. So, it's within his right to trademark it. It didn't hurt anything for him, that trademark is worth it. As for him being limited by the fans need for GN'R to be more like the classic lineup, i completely disagree. He has the rights to the name. He has the right to make whatever album he wants. He could make an album comprised entirely of echo farts on a snare drum with background singing and call it "Appetite 2". His trademark, his name, his right. I don't Axl Rose is a person that lives with regrets. He makes his choices, he lives with them.

In fact, the only people this has really hurt is the ex-members of the band (two in particular). Axl took control of the name and they (Slash + Duff) let him. Whether they were given an ultimatum by management to do so (likely), we'll never know. So, the way I see it, they got what they deserved. If you allow something you don't want to happen to happen, it's no one's fault but your own. If there was any reason for the other members to stand up and show some pride (at the time) it was this issue. It's a colossal fuck up on the part of Slash + Duff (for signing the papers) and to a much lesser extent Adler(only because he was borderline retarded and had been ejected due to his inability to keep sober). Izzy escapes blame in this for cutting ties with the band before the Use Your Illusion tour.

So you just explained what Axl CAN do, and we already knew that, but the point of the topic is does he regret doing it? Considering the hardship he says he has endured, I don't think it is impossible that if he could go back, he would try another route.

I haven't forgotten the old band, just like I haven't forgotten Beatles or any bands of the past. I also don't think anything Axl does now with the current band will in any way diminish the fond memories I have of the AFD lineup. I admire him for giving it a chance, I admire him for the balls he has to go through with it despite all the hate and anger he gets, and I for one will support him, even if he will never outshine his past. It is okay. As long as he tour and occasionally release new music that is okay, I am fine. I listen to the old albums and go to youtube when I want to reminisce, and listen to CD and other more current music when I feel the need for that. It is all good.

:thumbsup:

No. Axl came up with the bands' name in the first place. So, it's within his right to trademark it. It didn't hurt anything for him, that trademark is worth it. As for him being limited by the fans need for GN'R to be more like the classic lineup, i completely disagree. He has the rights to the name. He has the right to make whatever album he wants. He could make an album comprised entirely of echo farts on a snare drum with background singing and call it "Appetite 2". His trademark, his name, his right. I don't believe Axl Rose is a person that lives with regrets. He makes his choices, he lives with them.

Not before. During.

You know, it's funny but if you read Dufff's and Slash's biographies, it seems that they're no longer butthurt about having signed the name of the band over to Axl. Duff, as you know, shared the stage with the new band in London and played a couple of songs. He went out to dinner with Axl and they talked about the old times, just like old friends. I don't think Duff regrets having left GnR. He has a life of his own now. Is he playing for 100.000.000 people every night. No. But I don't think he even wants to. He did that. Now he's happy with whatever it is he's doing.

And as for Slash, well. he and Axl are not friends, nor do I think they'll ever be friends again, but Slash has moved on too. He's not filling stadiums, but does he care? I don't think so. He says very clearly in his book that he felt relieved after quitting the band. And he did try to see the new lineup play, as you know, but security would not let him.

So it's funny, because these two old gunners have moved on and I don't think they envy the guys playing with Axl on stage every night. And yet, we're here, day after day, still talking about a feud and about Axl vs Slash. Maybe there's no feud anymore. They may not be friends, but they each have their own lives and I don't think they regret being where they are now.

The only one that hasn't gotten over the past is Steven, who clearly still regrets having made the decisions he made back in the day as far as alcohol and drugs go.

And as far as the new band goes. Yes, it's GnR. For a merely legal reason. But Axl has a herculean task ahead of him, from the fans' point of view. And we all know what it is.

Edited by Madridista

Honestly i think its all about ego for Axl. An example being RIR3 in 01 when he threw that fan out that had the "Slash is GNR" shirt on. If he really was about his music, and he wanted to blow peoples minds under the name "Guns N' Roses" he would have put on a good show, and show that guy what GNR is instead of "its my band now" type of deal.

Honestly i think its all about ego for Axl. An example being RIR3 in 01 when he threw that fan out that had the "Slash is GNR" shirt on. If he really was about his music, and he wanted to blow peoples minds under the name "Guns N' Roses" he would have put on a good show, and show that guy what GNR is instead of "its my band now" type of deal.

Indeed. It's definately an ego thing, but it is also a cash thing.

Are you talkin' about something that happened 11 years ago? Come on..

Edited by pi2loc

Are you talkin' about something that happened 11 years ago? Come on..

Allright, i can go a little more recent. June 2012 recent. NME: GNR tour security instructed by GNR management that anyone wearing any slash tshirts not be allowed into the venue.

axl has a much more successful career than every former gnr member combined and certainly spending the time, money and energy to pick up the pieces and continue gnr is a large part of the success.

He's had the most successful career touring off the legacy of the old band.