Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Do you think Axl ever regrets keeping the name?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

SPACE TRAVELLER

• Supporters
  • 6,663 posts
  • 28-April 11
I think that in the moment (whenever it was) that he gave up on his super-ambitious trilogy project and realized he was lucky to release CD in 2008, there must have been some doubt.

Sig2_zpsf82904fb.png

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,888 posts
  • 31-March 04
I think it's more what the label wants. Otherwise the band would probably release a triple album in one go.

it's always mess in'  my   miinnddd

W. Adam S

W. Adam S

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • 18-February 06
I asked Axl this very question, his response was...

"I don't regret keeping the name, though I wish more were supportive or at least not as aggressively opposed."
YNWA

Posted Image

Thelonious

Thelonious

Senior

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • 17-April 11
I didn't read all the responses, so if this has been posted before, forgive. I think that he is kind of like GW Bush. His narccism will prevent any regrets.

I got drunk last night, and I got drunk the night before, I'm headed to the bar right now... gonna git drunk some more.

Rustycage

Rustycage

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • 23-March 04
He will never regret anything that he feels is someone else's fault. Which seems to be everything.

*Locked*

3325a15.gif

arnold layne

arnold layne

a creep in a t-shirt

• Supporters
  • 12,654 posts
  • 17-November 06
I think so.

If Axl was confident in his musical abilities he would have released a few albums since Slash and company left. Instead it's been over a decade of nostalgic touring of the greatest hits. Think about it. He's relying on his former bandmates to keep the band going. If he truly didn't regret the decision to keep the name, he would have taken it to a new direction. He really hasn't. Chinese Democracy isn't an exception. That album was pushed by the label and Azoff more than anything, and I'm pretty sure Axl's lawsuit shows that.

'Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet

And I am you and what I see is me.'

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts
  • 12-April 05

If Axl was confident in his musical abilities he would have released a few albums since Slash and company left.

There are countless possible reasons for why Axl has only released one album since Slash left GNR. How could any of us know if "lack of confidence in his musical abilities" is the reason?!?

Does it ever occur to you that if you weren't so miserable that maybe you wouldn't always assume the worst about other people?

The Sandman

The Sandman

King of Wishful Thinking

• Supporters
  • 25,825 posts
  • 26-September 05
No, I don't think he does - at worst, it's been a useful kick-start to post-Slash Guns. And, truthully, I don't know how many would care about Chinese Democracy if it had been released by a band under a new name.
Posted Image

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,934 posts
  • 01-October 11
From a business perspective keeping the GNR name was the smart thing to do, without it he wouldn't be generating as much revenue.

However it's really quite odd for Axl to often emphasize his desire to "move on" and leave his pre-1994 days in the past, while simultaneously using the band name made famous by that same pre-1994 period, a band name that will always be identified by that time period and those bandmates, many of whom he no longer wishes to associate with or even acknowledge.

I mean seriously, you really want to "move on"? You really want people to focus on your newer material? You really want to support your current bandmates and give them their own identity? Then ditch the GNR name.

ErinHeidi_zps257237e3.jpg

SoulMonster

SoulMonster

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,534 posts
  • 12-December 08

From a business perspective keeping the GNR name was the smart thing to do, without it he wouldn't be generating as much revenue.

However it's really quite odd for Axl to often emphasize his desire to "move on" and leave his pre-1994 days in the past, while simultaneously using the band name made famous by that same pre-1994 period, a band name that will always be identified by that time period and those bandmates, many of whom he no longer wishes to associate with or even acknowledge.

I mean seriously, you really want to "move on"? You really want people to focus on your newer material? You really want to support your current bandmates and give them their own identity? Then ditch the GNR name.

It's is quite possible to focus on newer material (which he does by playing 6-8 songs from CD every night), and to support your current bandmates (which he does by giving them ample opportunity to play solos and own material during shows, and by using their creations on the records), while still keeping the band name.

Axl has never expressed a desire to move on from his Guns N' Roses vision. Letting go of the name would be to abandon his plans and his vision.

Edited by SoulMonster, 16 June 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Taking things too seriously since 1988. -- I wonder how it is to be an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac, lying awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.

Madridista

Madridista

Full

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • 07-June 12
I don't think he does. And I don't think he really cares about the lack of new material either or about his fanbase, but that's a different topic

AxlRose14

AxlRose14

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • 28-February 09
He wonders why people aggressively oppose it..that would tell me he should have laid off of the acid!

People have a good reason to not agree with the current band. IMO I'm fine with the current lineup

The Archer

The Archer

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • 10-April 07
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Yes, I am an unabashed Axlite.

arnold layne

arnold layne

a creep in a t-shirt

• Supporters
  • 12,654 posts
  • 17-November 06

If Axl was confident in his musical abilities he would have released a few albums since Slash and company left.

There are countless possible reasons for why Axl has only released one album since Slash left GNR. How could any of us know if "lack of confidence in his musical abilities" is the reason?!?

Does it ever occur to you that if you weren't so miserable that maybe you wouldn't always assume the worst about other people?

Axl shows symptoms of narcissism: large ego, small self-esteem.

'Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet

And I am you and what I see is me.'

Black Roses

Black Roses

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • 06-April 12

AXL ROSE - no wife,no kids,most of the fans dont care about CD
the GNR name is the only thing he has :violin:

so true :rofl-lol: