Axl as he's aged compared with Robert Plant

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

At least Plant doesn't run around as "Led Zep" or "Nu Zep". He kept it classy as kept the integrity/legacy of Zep intact vs being a total joke.

He actually had such integrity and respect for the music that even though it was "just" the drummer that died they ended the band. Really, as legendary as Bonham has become, they could have continued and had a few successful albums at least. They didn't, though, and now Zeppelin are in the highest notch of rock stardom. GNR would be there if it ended in 1994 definitively instead of a slow long death and a half re-birth that lasted way too long.

I think Plant was more than ready to be a solo artist anyway.

I really don't know if Led Zep would've fared all that well in the early 80s. I think by the end of the decade, when hard rock was a part of the mainstream, might have been a good time to do it, but it's a given Plant would've wanted the songs rearranged. I think if they had done it in '98, as a 30th anniversary of the band, would have gone off well. Even if they reunited with Jason, that would've been the best time to do it because he had become a better player on the LZ songs by then. He never should've done the Atlantic Records event.

There are lots of circa 50 year-old singers out there that are still in their prime vocally, like Jon Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Anthony Kiedis and many others... Age is not an excuse for Axl, it's something else...

Anthony Kiedis? You have to be joking. http://stadium-arcadium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27087&sid=a45c4b270f8b76d532ab30d9bab7a1f8

He's the reason they invented auto tune. He does put on a great great great show - but you aren't seriously saying he's a great singer, unless you are being sarcastic and saying that he's still in his prime, because he was never in his prime.

I'm not saying Anthony is a GREAT singer, just that he stayed in incredible shape and his voice is pretty much sounding the same as ever.

Now about Jon Bon Jovi....one more guy in his 50's in great physical shape and saying that he lost his (great) voice is ridiculous since I've been to a live show just last year and he sounds great. OK maybe not exactly like in 1985 but still pretty good and definitely better than Axl of '11-'12 era... :confused:

Jon's never been an exceptional singer and Bon Jovi's never been the best rock band of all time, but they def. benefited from music video and building a large following in the Northeast. I think Slippery and New Jersey hold up fairly well, some filler moments in both, but overall, the songs hold up. Def Leppard had their biggest album with Hysteria, but I think more people enjoy Pyromania a lot more.

People do expect a time when the songs have to be tuned down by the time if their 50s, but it's like baseball players, the more they learn about the human body, in 20 years, it might not be weird to see a 65 year old pitcher, or singers whose voices won't diminish due to age. In 20 years, Axl could wind up having some sort of stem cell therapy where he can sound like he did at 25. It would be interesting for someone like Elton to be able to do that.

This is an interesting, yet bad comparison. Plant's voice was gone early on in his career. It was still beautiful, and great, but, his range and the ability to do the things he once did were gone.

Now, Axl, can still do everything he's ever done. He still has all the ability, and can STILL REALLY DO IT. He chooses not to sometimes, and that's ok with me. As long as he can still do it, I am happy. He can tap into that voice whenever he wants to.

As far as physical aging goes, Robert Plant looked beat down in his 20's. Sad to see. Axl has aged great.

Axl is 50 and past his prime n those people saying others are not past their primes n they r 50 well they ain't hitting axl notes. Axl can't sing like he use to but that ain't meaning that he can't sing better than fucking Bon jovi lmao, that's what the term "past his prime" means for Axl he can't sing like himself but he can sure out sing most singers today. As far plant goes he's kool but I just never felt he had any edge towards his voice or any coolness if u will, always thought Jim Morrison n Janis Joplin had better voices or at least more emotion in their voices but lacked what Plant had....a better band.

Axl couldn't sing to standard tuned guitars when he was YOUNG, let alone now lol. But that's not a knock on him. Some people just have lower voices than others.

Axl's range has nothing to do with why their songs were tuned a half step down. It is very common in rock, you get a beefier sound. You can play in any key regardless of your tuning. Same reason a lot of metal bands play in drop D tuning, for an even heavier sound.