Foo Fighter to play Iggy Pop

Zint

source

"Oh those Foo Fighters – is there anything they can't do? Having already conquered the music world, they are now targeting Hollywood. We already knew Dave Grohl was behind a documentary on famed Los Angeles recording studio Sound City (see recordings by Nirvana, Fleetwood Mac, Rage Against the Machine, Johnny Cash, Metallica and Dr. John).

Now comes word that Foos drummer Taylor Hawkins has been cast as sinewy Stooges great Iggy Pop in the upcoming rock 'n' roll film CBGB. You can kind of see it, too, huh?

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the star-studded film "is a look at New York's punk rock music scene and is centered on CBGB, the seminal club where acts such as Talking Heads, Ramones and Television got their start and honed their craft. The club, which was owned by Hilly Kristal, closed in 2008. "

Also joining the cast are Steven Schub (Chicago 8) as Dee Dee Ramone (R.I.P. brother); Evan Alex Cole (She’s Outta My League) as Richard Hell; Peter Vack (I Just Want My Pants Back) as Legs McNeil; Kerry Bische (Red State) as Mary Harron, Johnny Galecki (Big Bang Theory) as Terry Ork and Mickey Sumner (The Borgias) as Patti Smith.

CBGB, which features a previously announced cast including Harry Potter stars Rupert Grint and Alan Rickman plus Malin Akerman is being directed by Randall Miller (Bottle Shock), who co-wrote the script with Jody Savin.

Add THR: "The story centers on club owner Kristal (Rickman) and his efforts to turn a tiny club into a groundbreaking rock 'n' roll venue where the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers played. The venue started out as a home to country, bluegrass and blues musicians, but when those acts became tough to book, Kristal turned to local artists. "

Cool! Production is slated to begin June 25 in Savannah, Ga., before moving to New York."

Guest Len B'stard

because, to me, some things are so unique...and so perfect...that they don't really bear replication? I don't think anything can be added to Iggy's legacy like that, you can't really like...y'know, these iconoclastic figures, unique artists, they're like...i mean, have you ever seen a good representation on screen of say John Rotten? Or Jimi Hendrix? They just come off as puerile...if anything they detract from the artists...y'know, this all sounds terribly precious of me but...i just feel there is nothing that can be added to or achieved in terms of Ig's legacy by doing this. Quite the opposite in fact.

Also, and this is gonna sound REALLY arrogant but i don't really go for this big mainstream kind of, y'know, "wa-hey, lets eulogise punk and turn it into a museum piece" thing. Fuckin Iggy movies and...y'know, this is a man that slept on sofas in peoples garages and fuckin...y'know, it's like where the fuck were you when this shit was kicking off anyway?!?! Not like i was there but i have a lot of affection for a lot of the characters in and around some of those scenes and...i dunno, if it were up to me, they wouldn't give this shit the Hollowood treatment, some things are perfect as they are, Punk should not belong to Hollywood, Hollywood should belong to Punk.

If i was one of the old lads...and i'd been through the shit some of them lot went through during it's inception, i would be violently and viciously against the mainstream turning up 30 odd years later going "oh, weren't all yous lot SOOO cool?".

Is it even a mainstream Hollywood movie though? Even if it isn't, there's just something about it that just makes it all so fuckin lame.

Did you ever get around to watching What We Do Is Secret btw? What did you think?

Edited by sugaraylen

because, to me, some things are so unique...and so perfect...that they don't really bear replication? I don't think anything can be added to Iggy's legacy like that, you can't really like...y'know, these iconoclastic figures, unique artists, they're like...i mean, have you ever seen a good representation on screen of say John Rotten? Or Jimi Hendrix? They just come off as puerile...if anything they detract from the artists...y'know, this all sounds terribly precious of me but...i just feel there is nothing that can be added to or achieved in terms of Ig's legacy by doing this. Quite the opposite in fact.

True,but it's not his autobiography...it's an "Iggy" appearance in a movie about CBGB's.

You gotta have infamous characters to make a movie about a subject like that. :lol:

Also, and this is gonna sound REALLY arrogant but i don't really go for this big mainstream kind of, y'know, "wa-hey, lets eulogise punk and turn it into a museum piece" thing. Fuckin Iggy movies and...y'know, this is a man that slept on sofas in peoples garages and fuckin...y'know, it's like where the fuck were you when this shit was kicking off anyway?!?

I get ya len...but you hit a pretty big nail on the head right there.At this stage,I don't see the problem with people who were there setting the record straight.Too many times I've done battle on here over the years with some fucking Billy Joe Armstrong fan who tried to rewrite the essence of punk and what it was all about."What wraaaaaawwwwwwwng with Green Day wanting to play to millions of fans in hockey arenas with fire bombs and confetti guns?".Weeeell..this is what's fucking wrong with it...watch this.Learn something...this is what punk rock emerged from and this is what punk rock was about.

This production is not brought to you by the good folks at Kellogg's.

..dig?

If people didn't start documenting shit,things would get even more diluted.And a HUGE fucking perk (for example) is the movie I've been telling you about involving the Toronto punk scene.One of the gems unearthed because of that project was 8mm footage of the Ramones very first concert outside of the States,in Toronto,at a seedy midnight movie theatre...and THEN they found someone with an audio bootleg of the same show,which they were able to synch together.Punk rock history right there that might have otherwise collected more mould in somebody's basement.

Nah man...I have no probs with those who were there documenting it through the eyes that fucking created it.

I'd rather go see a film like that than have a Billie Joe Armstrong fan tell me what it's all about.

I don't consider it boring museum piece shit..I see it as setting the record straight.

How is it any different than when you come on here frothing that you've found new rare Pistols footage. :lol:

That's not a shot man,you know I think that's cool...just sayin' ya know?

Not like i was there but i have a lot of affection for a lot of the characters in and around some of those scenes and...i dunno, if it were up to me, they wouldn't give this shit the Hollywood treatment, some things are perfect as they are, Punk should not belong to Hollywood, Hollywood should belong to Punk.

Yeah I agree with that mostly.But I have no probs with coffee table books,or documentaries...when the heart is in the right place.

If I ever get Bloodied But Unbowed to ya,you'll know what I mean..it's a fuckin awesome documentary and it will put you shit-fucking-centre into the West Coast scene I've already exposed you to.

It's not Hollywood,by any means,but it's definitely an example of media coverage in these regards that I approve of.

The CBGB's movie has already been made as far as I'm concerned..ever seen the Dead Boys footage from there?...bam...personified.

The early scene b+w shit too (Ramones,Television,Blondie etc.)..it's been done.But I'll give this CBGB movie a watch.

So I guess I'm kinda agreeing with you here as far as this being a big Hollywood-esque movie.

But I don't have a prob with the history of this shit being preserved in print or on film..by the people with the "rights" to do so.

Those who were there.

If i was one of the old lads...and i'd been through the shit some of them lot went through during it's inception, i would be violently and viciously against the mainstream turning up 30 odd years later going "oh, weren't all yous lot SOOO cool?".

Yeah that's kinda funny tbh.I see what you're saying.

But I'm still intrigued by a movie about CBGB's :shrugs: (not saying it will be good,but it might be entertaining,depending on how they handle it?...I dunno).

Did you ever get around to watching What We Do Is Secret btw? What did you think?

Dude I've been so insanely busy,don't even recall what it is. :lol:

Refresh my memory.

Guest Len B'stard
True,but it's not his autobiography...it's an "Iggy" appearance in a movie about CBGB's.

You gotta have infamous characters to make a movie about a subject like that.

They're the worst kind when the movies not about them, they just pick someone whoose like...y'know, not even close. Like that fat Liverpuddlian they got to play John Rotten in the Sid and Nancy movie. Really...Liverpuddlian, playing John Rotten of North London...really? I'd like to see who cast that particular fucking role.

To me these things work if they are a) clearly a work of fiction inspired by reality or 2) if it's just a straightahead documentary.

Then again, people like me get too fuckin precious about this shit y'know, movies a movie, you can't stop the machine rolling on this thing and, y'know, i think a bit of it is like...people like me think they fuckin own punk, y'know? :lol: When they were born 5 years after it was done.

But CBGBs deserves better than a movie, there's such a wealth of matierial out there of the place, so many of the characters are still alive, if you really wanted to get balls deep in this thing they could knock out a good 2 hour plus documentary with interviews with all the girls and guys involved and fuck me, y'know, it could almost be a history of punk in it's own right y'know cuz as well as the early boys, tons n tons n tons of the hardcore lot played there too and...y'know, so much could be done with it.

CB's is kinda the tasters choice thing but i think Max's Kansassss (lookin' bad and actin' flaaashh :lol:) could warrant a crackin' fuckin' documentary too, it was sort of like CB's little brother, weren't it? And boy does it have some tales to tell. In many ways it could even be a more interesting story cuz...whereas CB's kinda went from this fuckin hippie sawdust joint into this Mecca for misfits, Max's has a lot like...a weirder history in a sense? I think a better description might be that CB's was where the more artsy end met punk and Max's was more where glam met punk.

Anyway, i digress, i guess it's good to not always be so fuckin militant about this shit i suppose.

And What We Do Is Secret is the biopic of The Germs man, the one starring that guy from some...sitcom or teen flick that girls really liked at some point, i'm fucked if i can remember the name, y'know, one of them heartthrob lads, anyway, he plays Darby.

i wish you lived round these ends, there's some bangin' fuckin' documentarys on the BBC at the moment, a whole season of punk shit actually, to coincide with the woman with the shiny hat and her...i dunno, millionth birthday or something...anyway, yeah, there's some really good ones, a documentary on the Punk poet John Cooper Clarke, a documentary on The Adverts (i know!!!! :D) and a three part documentary, with hour long parts, on punk. Nothing AMAZINGLY different or anything but interesting in terms of the characters interviewed for the whole thing. The final parts tonight and it's basically about like, y'know, what all the lads got up to after punk in terms of like, y'know, Magazine, PiL, Gang of Four and all them mentalists. Apparently PiL are gonna be on the documentary, a recording of them rehearsing the new album track Reggies Song.

Also, dunno if you've seen this but have a peek:

Edited by sugaraylen

Max's was CBGB's little brother? It was the bigger club, CBGB was in the Bowery.

Hilly was going to move CBGB's to Vegas and grow old out there. Would've been weird, but what CBGB's was based on was all about having a place for kids to play.. it was kind of the outcast's refuge. And if they couldn't play there, they could play next door.

Hilly Kristal also worked at the Village Vanguard and helped start the Central Park concert series.

I think if his family and the people who were there at the beginnings of CBGB and stayed friends with him are okay with it. I never saw "54", so I can't really compare that one.

Liv Tyler's mom said she thought John Mayer was more like Hilly though.

Someone created a virtual tour of the club, thought this was pretty cool.

http://www.bravadousa.com/cbgb/pano/pano.html

CB's is kinda the tasters choice thing but i think Max's Kansassss (lookin' bad and actin' flaaashh :lol:) could warrant a crackin' fuckin' documentary too, it was sort of like CB's little brother, weren't it? And boy does it have some tales to tell. In many ways it could even be a more interesting story cuz...whereas CB's kinda went from this fuckin hippie sawdust joint into this Mecca for misfits, Max's has a lot like...a weirder history in a sense? I think a better description might be that CB's was where the more artsy end met punk and Max's was more where glam met punk.

Wow len...in response,watch the video below.

He's speaking in retrospect mind you,but he came back from CBGB's utterly disappointed.He's condensing it down a bit here,but there were interviews at the time where he just tore the experience down.He went there with the highest of hope ya know?...travelling to this mecca,and when he was there it was like "really?" :confused:

Any way len (and anyone else interested)..dig this.

Guest Len B'stard

Thats kinda what i was trying to get at when i was saying it was like the tasters choice thing, you get the impression, and i'm getting it from Leckie in this interview that like...y'know, it's like Bob Marley when you listen to reggae, it's...he's kinda the big boy of it all but when you actually get into reggae deep you actually come to the conclusion that he was kinda...well, soft comparatively to others. I don't have any illusions about CBGBs being anything but this kinda shithole really, run by a nutcase, thats kinda what i meant about Max's seeming more interesting to me because although Max's can claim fame as being like, the whole Warholian thing it just kind of gave, from what i've read and footage i've seen, this impression of being more of a decadent satans lair thing whereas the whole thing with CB's was kinda...they were a shade or two from being neo-beatniks or something. Too many lofts in Manhattan or something.

(P.S. what a fuck name eh, The VILEtones :D of all those Canada punk bands you introduced me to, on name value alone, even if no one had recommended me The Viletones i'd give em a go just based on the name :lol:)

Max's was CBGB's little brother? It was the bigger club, CBGB was in the Bowery.

I meant bigger as in it's place in rock history. If you think punk and you think club you think CBs. Or the Roxy in London, or that one in California, the Brendan Mullen one, The Masque.

Edited by sugaraylen

Yeah that's what I was getting at mate,he was kinda saying the same things you were.

I always dug that about him...it's was somewhat of a sheep-thing to go "yeah CBGB's fuckin cool"...and it was kinda expected of you to dig it if you want to run with this lot over here (and get the shirt to prove it).

But Leckie just kinda went pfffttt...over rated.

That's punk rock.