Slash named the best guitarist of all time

Guest Iron Fist SS

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Okay, this was in Swedish and I translated it myself, so sorry for any errors.

1. Slash Guns N’ Roses/Slash’s Snakepit/Velvet Revolver/solo ★

That the humble star from one of the best boy-bands of all time, Guns N' Roses, lies on a certain podium is something I've known since me and my friend dressed out to Slash and Axl in Primary School twenty years ago. That Slash actually takes home the gold medal was soon clear when I started to figure on this list. What is it then that makes him number one? Short answer: The goosebumps-factor. The dist guitars melody king may not be the fastest, but he writes and plays solos that are superhits in themselves. You can probably sing along to as many of Slash's guitar solos as you can in Guns N' Roses choruses. The 25 years young "Appetite For Destruction" is a 53 minutes long example of an unfailing creativity with a hell of a melody-heart. The album doesn't have one single boring or unmotivated guitar tone. Every single touch ooze with sex and the "Sweet Child O' Mine"-solo is an indescribable climax. Poodle rockers, beer belly men, "svennebananer" (Side note: I have no idea what the hell that would be), indie people, grandmother, the neighbour, you and of course me in unison roll up our sleeves to give room for the goosebumps when our clearest brighting rock star show us his solo magic.

-Am I really number one? Wow... I don't think I have any comment. I'm mostly speechless.

But you must be celebrated as the best guitarist in the world all the time?

-No, not at all. I'm not even close to such a high position. It's almost embarrassing. I want to thank everyone that has had anything to do with this list. As uncomfortable as I am with it, it's really flattering.

Guns N' Roses was recently inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and you get touched by a list by a Swedish newspaper?

-It was different then, because it wasn't me that was inducted. I was part of a unit that produced a bunch of albums. This is more personal. Very cool - but it makes me nervous. Don't show this to my equals!

But you must be conscious about your influence as a musician?

-Eh, well, yeah, I can admit that there's many throughout the years that has told me that I influenced their playing. But in my world I practice and strive to get better. So far I haven't reached a level I am completely satisfied with. Especially not when I see who is closest to me on the list. All of them has influenced me a lot. Or, well, I don't even know who this this Chriss Olvia on number six is. But the others. I can't place myself higher on the totem-pole than Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/hardrock/article14964861.ab

Note: You have to pay to be able to read it, for some reason.

I'll copy the Swedish text about Slash on here if anyone wants to read it in it's original language and maybe translate it better than I did.

1. Slash Guns N’ Roses/Slash’s Snakepit/Velvet Revolver/solo ★

Att den ödmjuke stjärnan från ett av tidernas bästa pojkband, Guns N’ Roses, ligger på en säker pallplats har jag vetat sen jag och min lågstadiebästis klädde ut oss till Slash och Axl för tjugo år sen. Att Slash faktiskt kammar hem guldmedaljen stod snabbt klart när jag började klura på den här listan. Vad är det då som gör honom till nummer ett? Kort svar: gåshudsfaktorn. Distgitarristernas melodikung är kanske inte snabbast men han skriver och spelar solon som är superhits helt i sig själva. Du kan säkert sjunga med i lika många av Slashs gitarrsolon som du kan i Guns N’ Roses refränger. Den 25 år unga ”Appetite for destruction” är ett 53 minuter långt exempel på en outsinlig kreativitet och ett sjuhelsikes melodisinne. Plattan innehåller inte en enda tråkig eller omotiverad gitarrton. Varenda anslag osar sex och ”Sweet child o’ mine”-solot är ett obestridligt klimax. Pudelfrissor, ölmagsgubbar, svennebananer, indieluggar, mormor, grannen, du och givetvis jag kavlar unisont upp ärmarna för att ge plats åt ståpälsen när vår klarast lysande rockstjärna visar prov på sin solomagi.

– Är jag verkligen först? Oj… Jag har nog ingen kommentar. Jag blir mest mållös.

Men du blir väl hyllad som världens bästa gitarrist en gång i kvarten?

– Nej inte alls. Jag är inte ens i närheten av en så hög placering. Det är nästan pinsamt. Jag vill tacka alla som haft något att göra med den här listan. Hur obekväm jag än blir så är det oerhört smickrande.

Guns N’ Roses blev nyss invald i Rock and Roll Hall of Fame och du blir rörd över en lista i en svensk tidning?

– Det var annorlunda då det inte var jag som en individ. Där ingick jag i en enhet som producerat en bunt skivor. Det här är mer personligt. Väldigt coolt – men det gör mig nervös. Visa det inte för mina jämlikar!

Du måste väl vara medveten om ditt inflytande som musiker?

– Eh, jo, visst, jag kan erkänna att det är många som genom åren sagt till mig att jag påverkat deras spelande. Men i min egen värld så repar jag och strävar efter att bli bättre. Än har jag inte uppnått en nivå jag är helt nöjd med. Speciellt inte när jag ser vilka som ligger närmast efter mig på listan. Alla har de påverkat mig enormt. Eller, ja, den här Chriss Olvia på nummer sex vet jag inte vem det är. Men de andra. Jag kan inte placera mig själv högre på totempålen än Jimmy Page eller Tony Iommi.

The top ten on their list are

1. Slash

2. Jimmy Page

3. Tony Iommi

4. Brian May

5. Michael Schenker

6. Chriss Olvia

7. David Gilmour

8. Jimi Hendrix

9. Ritchie Blackmore

10. Randy Rhoads

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Funny, because I looked through the list to find Finch, Buckethead and Bumblefoot, since people here always say they're the best ever. None of them made it to the top 50.

Either way, well deserved, Slash! :thumbsup:

Wrong section....I know you need the attention it is ok.....

Splash is in my top 10 worst guitar players...see how these silly lists are useless and simply opinion based?

Yeah but your opinions in general should be sealed in concrete and dumped in the ocean! :P

Definately the wrong section.

I'd like to add Slash has reached Justin Beiber status...no matter how crap he is people love it :rolleyes:

You can get away with shit like that when you're a bona fide legend! ;)

Of course he's not #1 guitarist, not even top 20 :D . But why do you hate him :crazy: ?

Remember who you're talking to! :lol: we all just started nodding and rolling our eyes at him a long time ago. :)

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Where's Angus? :angry:

On spot 18.

Cool

Don't know where to click to read the whole list :P Is Steve Vai listed? Thanks

Here's the rest of the list:

50. Ace Frehley

49. Ruyter Suys

48. Jerry Cantrell

47. Mick Box

46. Tom Morello

45. Mike Amott

44. Fast Eddoe Clarke

43. Alex Lifeson

42. Vivian Campbell

41. Dave Mustaine

40. Marty Friedman

39. IA Eklundh

38. Paul Gilbert

37. Chick Shuldiner

36. Uli Jon Roth

35. Zakk Wylde

34. Steve Vai

33. Brian Robertson

32. Fredrik Thordendahl

31. Joe Perry

30. Lita Ford

29. Johnny Ramone

28. Alexi Laiho

27. Alex Skolnick

26. Andreas Kisser

25. Pete Townshend

24. Kurt Cobain

23. Mark Reale

22. James Hetfield

21. Wolf Hoffman

20. Michelle Meldrum

19. Billy Gibbons

18. Angus Young

17. Leslie West

16. Eddie Van Halen

15. K.K. Downing

14. Glen Tipton

13. Dimebag Darrell

12. Yngwie Malmsteen

11. Kerry King

My top ten list would include Kurt Cobain.

Me too. For many reasons.

Wrong section....I know you need the attention it is ok.....

Splash is in my top 10 worst guitar players...see how these silly lists are useless and simply opinion based?

Yeah but your opinions in general should be sealed in concrete and dumped in the ocean! :P

Same could be said about a lot of people dry.gif