Slash named the best guitarist of all time

Guest Iron Fist SS

Not the best of all time for me, but definitely one of my favourites. Good on Slash, always nice to see the musicians we love getting some recognition innit.

Now we just need a best wobbly keyboard players of all time list, I got a feeling Mothergoose has that one nailed. :xmasssanta:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Wrong section....I know you need the attention it is ok.....

Well yeah. I do both read and write pretty slow, so it took me 20 minutes to translate all of it. After I put that much effort into it, it would seem ridiculous to post it in the Former Gunners section and don't get a single reply. I minimized that whole section since I don't read it myself and I'm a big fan of Slash and Duff, etc. Barely anyone read the section, so it seemed better to post it here.

Well yeah. I do both read and write pretty slow, so it took me 20 minutes to translate all of it. After I put that much effort into it, it would seem ridiculous to post it in the Former Gunners section and don't get a single reply. I minimized that whole section since I don't read it myself and I'm a big fan of Slash and Duff, etc. Barely anyone read the section, so it seemed better to post it here.

I appreciate your honesty. I too heard the crickets in the former member section.

With that said it doesn't change the fact that this is posted in the wrong section.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I appreciate your honesty. I too heard the crickets in the former member section.

With that said it doesn't change the fact that this is posted in the wrong section.

I know that, it was on purpose.

:xmasssanta:

No John Frusciante? hmmm...

I don't think I understand the purpose of these kind of lists.

Slash is one of the best ever for sure, but number one? I don't know about that... Still nice tho.

Also, Number one at what? composing solos? Riffs? Influencing other guitar players? all of the above?

Kinda confusing.

Splash is in my top 10 worst guitar players...see how these silly lists are useless and simply opinion based?

There he goes again, the gay trollcano. As if you understood anything about music and guitar playing...

Anyways... these BEST OF lists are stupid. Period. There's always gonna be someone out there who has a different opinion on the subject. I mean, it's all based on personal taste. Iron Maiden is my favorite band of all time, so if you ask me what the best (heavy metal) band ever is, guess what I'm gonna say :rolleyes: And a Judas Priest fan will say that Priest is better than Maiden and a Wishbone Ash fan will say they're better and so on and so on and so on...

Slash is a great guitarist, but the best? IDK. Is Page better? IDK.

Better yet, who the fuck cares?????????????????

Edited by Madridista

Anyways... these BEST OF lists are stupid. Period. There's always gonna be someone out there who has a different opinion on the subject. I mean, it's all based on personal taste. Iron Maiden is my favorite band of all time, so if you ask me what the beast heavy metal band ever is, guess what I'm gonna say :rolleyes:

Slash is a great guitarist, but the best? IDK. Is Page better? IDK.

Better yet, who the fuck cares?????????????????

Yeah I tend to agree. I guess comparing abilities is a natural human thing to do, I just don't think it applies very well when you're talking about music to me.

It's just different, not really 'better' or 'best' imo... :shrugs:

Remember who you're talking to! :lol: we all just started nodding and rolling our eyes at him a long time ago. :)

What i want to say is i don't know why many people in this forum hate slash :shrugs: . He's not #1 but he's still the great guitarist because his style and his music are unique.

Once again, I didn't read alll the responses, but best of all time? Are you fucking kidding me? He is a good string bender, but is he a Jeff Beck, Roger McGuinn, or Eric Clapton? Hardly!

I know ! DJ Ashba should be number 1. He's totally better than Clapton. I mean he's in GnR :rofl-lol:

CRn6A.gif

So what is the criteria for this rating? technical talent? song writing? without the criteria the list is meaningless

I am big Slash fan but honestly if your talking about strictly technical talent he would not make my top 10..and Kurt Cobain in the top 10 is even more laughable..........

Edited by classicrawker

And ironically his most well-known works werent just in GNR but in songs Axl had to basically force Slash to do: SCOM, NR, Estranged. We can thank Axl for this one.

Better than Hendrix and Page? Hm.

Maybe. But Slash is still the one who did the solo writing and the shredding. Are you implying Axl should be on that list? :rofl-lol: (it's a joke. calm down)

I don't get all the Slash hate in these forums. The guy is a great guitar player, with a lot of feeling. Didn't Axl himself say something about Slash being one of the greatest guitar players he's ever worked with? The fact that the original band is no longer together does not mean we have to downplay Slah's role as a GnR member or his guitar skills.

I mean, I don't like Judas Priest or U2, but you're not gonna see me saying the Edge sucks or that KK Downing couldn't play to save his life. <_<

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

So what is the criteria for this rating? technical talent? song writing? without the criteria the list is meaningless

I am big Slash fan but honestly if your talking about strictly technical talent he would not make my top 10..and Kurt Cobain in the top 10 is even more laughable..........

If you're looking at technical skills, you can find millions of kids on Youtube that are better.

Slash has a whole different talent though. He can actually write great riffs and solos. Many of the best solos and riffs of all time is made by the man.

Kurt Cobain is a really underrated guitarist. He may not be very technically skilled, but he made some of the catchiest riffs of all time. He had his own sound and he influenced and got many millions of people into playing guitar.

Funny, because I looked through the list to find Finch, Buckethead and Bumblefoot, since people here always say they're the best ever. None of them made it to the top 50.

Either way, well deserved, Slash! :thumbsup:

Maybe Slash is the most recognizable guitarist. But anyone that actually knows anything about guitars and guitarists knows that talent wise Slash isn't even in the top 50 and probably not even in the top 1000.

If you're looking at technical skills, you can find millions of kids on Youtube that are better.

Slash has a whole different talent though. He can actually write great riffs and solos. Many of the best solos and riffs of all time is made by the man.

Kurt Cobain is a really underrated guitarist. He may not be very technically skilled, but he made some of the catchiest riffs of all time. He had his own sound and he influenced and got many millions of people into playing guitar.

yeah but this list was only just klara forces personal favorites

Once again, I didn't read alll the responses, but best of all time? Are you fucking kidding me? He is a good string bender, but is he a Jeff Beck, Roger McGuinn, or Eric Clapton? Hardly!

I know ! DJ Ashba should be number 1. He's totally better than Clapton. I mean he's in GnR :rofl-lol:

Haha

I was trying to keep rock/blues, but probably, in my opinion, the greatest string bender, of all time, was Django Reinhardt. Check this out:

If nothing else, appreciate some good jazz.

Of course, then there is the Bluegrass string bender Tony Rice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6X-kbqk820&feature=related

Edited by Thelonious