Slash named the best guitarist of all time

Guest Iron Fist SS

And ironically his most well-known works werent just in GNR but in songs Axl had to basically force Slash to do: SCOM, NR, Estranged. We can thank Axl for this one.

Better than Hendrix and Page? Hm.

Axl pushed Slash, just as Slash kept Axl on path and away from too much excess. They need each other to balance one another out.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...what Satanist_S said.

And, I'm sorry, but to judge a guitarist based on his technical skills, you have to be a guitarist yourself. Otherwise, if you don't know jackshit about guitar playing, you're only basing your opinion on the fact that you like certain bands or love certain songs.

And who the fuck cares about technical skills? As a listener, I only care about guitarists being able to convey feelings through their solos and through their shredding. If it's all technical and there's no feeling, you might as well listen to a washing machine playing a Gibson Les Paul. :rolleyes:

Edited by Madridista

So what is the criteria for this rating? technical talent? song writing? without the criteria the list is meaningless

I am big Slash fan but honestly if your talking about strictly technical talent he would not make my top 10..and Kurt Cobain in the top 10 is even more laughable..........

If you're looking at technical skills, you can find millions of kids on Youtube that are better.

Slash has a whole different talent though. He can actually write great riffs and solos. Many of the best solos and riffs of all time is made by the man.

Kurt Cobain is a really underrated guitarist. He may not be very technically skilled, but he made some of the catchiest riffs of all time. He had his own sound and he influenced and got many millions of people into playing guitar.

If you are talking about writing catchy Riffs there are guitarists from the 80's who deserve to be in the top 10 and where is Keef Richards then? He wrote some of the most memorable riffs in Rock history..certainly more than Kurt Cobain..............he might have written catchy riffs but Kurt was not a great technical guitarist............

Edited by classicrawker

And ironically his most well-known works werent just in GNR but in songs Axl had to basically force Slash to do: SCOM, NR, Estranged. We can thank Axl for this one.

Better than Hendrix and Page? Hm.

Shhhhh don't upset the Slash fans

Once again, I didn't read alll the responses, but best of all time? Are you fucking kidding me? He is a good string bender, but is he a Jeff Beck, Roger McGuinn, or Eric Clapton? Hardly!

+1

Wrong section....I know you need the attention it is ok.....

Splash is in my top 10 worst guitar players...see how these silly lists are useless and simply opinion based?

There he goes again, the gay trollcano. As if you understood anything about music and guitar playing...

Reported for homophobia. Have a nice vacation.

Oh and just for your info i've been playing guitar since I was 14 year old.

It's just someones personal favorite!

It's from a swedish magazine where a girl named Klara Force (who also plays in a band called Crusified Barbara) named her top 50 favorite guitarists. There was no voting process it's all just her opinion so there is no reason to make anything more out of it then what it is.... a personal favorite list.

;)

Edited by Desperado

Funny, because I looked through the list to find Finch, Buckethead and Bumblefoot, since people here always say they're the best ever. None of them made it to the top 50.

Either way, well deserved, Slash! :thumbsup:

Maybe Slash is the most recognizable guitarist. But anyone that actually knows anything about guitars and guitarists knows that talent wise Slash isn't even in the top 50 and probably not even in the top 1000.

Maybe, BUT... and this is a big BUT, your average rock/metal fan doesn't know anything about guitar playing. We only wanna listen to great solos and good riffs. I'll give you an example. More often than not Dream Theater fans will tell you that Petrucci is the greatest guitarist to have ever walked the Earth and that he knows a lot about music theory and scales and etc etc etc. Maybe, but I've seen DT live a couple of times, and Petrucci has no feeling, IMO. I'll say it again, IMO.

My point is, I don't care about theory or if a certain scale is better for a certain song. I just wanna relax and enjoy the music. Please, don't tell me you think Slash can't convey feelings with his guitar playing skills. Please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWk8rPzseLg

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

oh it's just some dumb chick list? that wasa close one slash almost got some praise.

Yeah, wouldn't it be terrible to give the GNR guitarist some praise on a GNR board? Let's all bash him instead of being happy for the top spot and think it's cool that our (or one of our) favourite guitarist get some recognition.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

And if they are basing it on catchy riffs how the fuck can they leave Eddie Van Halen out of the top 10? not only did he write amazing riffs but he is also one the more technically talented guitarists around...the man changed the way people played guitar and inspired a whole generation of young guitar players............

slash is evil. i hate him so bad. his estranged, sweet chiil d and nov rain solos are crap :rolleyes:

this is the new jarmo website. i left that place for this? lol

This place reminds me a little bit of the Megadeth Forums, where fans opinions on former band members are usually dictated by what Dave Mustaine thinks. Before Marty Friedman left the band, he was awesome. After he left Megadeth and the resulting feud between Marty and Dave was at its zenith, Friedman was evil and a crappy player. Before Jr. returned to Megadeth, he was an asshole and a stupid moron, now he's God. :rofl-lol:

If Slash and Axl made up, all the Slash haters would start loving the guy, overnight :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Edited by Madridista

Why are there so many threads about the lives of former band members in the Guns N' Roses News & Discussion section?

If people post here because it wouldn't be read if posted in the proper section, then those people should get a clue and realize it can't be interesting enough on its own and doesn't deserve to be posted anywhere on the site. Posting such irrelevant trivia in the GN'R section only serves the purpose of generating noise and diminishes the value of this section for everyone else. I really hope the new admins will moderate the sectioning of the site more strictly.

oh it's just some dumb chick list? that wasa close one slash almost got some praise.

Yeah, wouldn't it be terrible to give the Slash guitarist some praise on a GNR board? Let's all bash him instead of being happy for the top spot and think it's cool that our (or one of our) favourite guitarist get some recognition.

I would have Slash on my top 10 list but I just thought that people should know that it was just a personal favorite list. And if you know that there is no reason for debate on who's better then who.

"This place reminds me a little bit of the Megadeth Forums, where fans opinions on former band members are usually dictated by what Dave Mustaine thinks. Before Marty Friedman left the band, he was awesome. After he left Megadeth and the resulting feud between Marty and Dave was at its zenith, Friedman was evil and a crappy player. Before Jr. returned to Megadeth, he was an asshole and a stupid moron, now he's God.

If Slash and Axl made up, all the Slash haters would start loving the guy, overnight"

:rofl-lol: i remember that i used to read there.

deluded fans :rolleyes:

"Why are there so many threads about the lives of former band members in the Guns N' Roses News & Discussion section?"

we have to talk about slash in a special section? :rofl-lol:

And if they are basing it on catchy riffs how the fuck can they leave Eddie Van Halen out of the top 10? not only did he write amazing riffs but he is also one the more technically talented guitarists around...the man changed the way people played guitar and inspired a whole generation of young guitar players............

it's a personal favorite list so if you're not happy with it you should go and talk to Klara Force from sweden

it's a personal favorite list so if you're not happy with it you should go and talk to Klara Force from sweden

I know it is a personal favorite list........... but just saying..................... :shrugs:

Are you even GnR fans? How can you hate Slash so much? Jesus Christ... :rolleyes: what do you do when you listen to AFD, UYI or Lies? Did you get a computer software to edit out Slash's guitars? :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Hahahaaha, exactly. It baffles me how people on a GNR fansite are so outraged by this. The most relevant and important lead guitarist in GNR history gets some recognition, and these "fans" are begging mummy for their paciess! LMAO. I've never personally agreed with separating sections when it comes to topics like this especially. Had it been talking about his solo project, or VR, that'd be one thing. But I think Slash should get his fair share of love for this recognition among GNR fans, why not? He was arguably one of the bigger reasons Axl can still even play stadiums today, each to their own, :shrugs: ...

As for the list itself, I realize Slash isn't the most technically gifted, and I also agree with the notion that he shouldn't be number one, but he should at least be in the top 20, even top 10. At least in my opinion. He plays with some of the most emotional and passionate feeling I've ever heard, and at least in the glory days, connected his heart to his playing almost by instinct. His riffs and solos sound so amazing and has caused countless fans around the world to pick up the geetar. Again, not quite number one, but he has earned his wings to be listed among the all time greats imho...

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Are you even GnR fans? How can you hate Slash so much? Jesus Christ... :rolleyes: what do you do when you listen to AFD, UYI or Lies? Did you get a computer software to edit out Slash's guitars? :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Hahahaaha, exactly. It baffles me how people on a GNR fansite are so outraged by this. The most relevant and important lead guitarist in GNR history gets some recognition, and these "fans" are begging mummy for their paciess! LMAO. I've never personally agreed with separating sections when it comes to topics like this especially. Had it been talking about his solo project, or VR, that'd be one thing. But I think Slash should get his fair share of love for this recognition among GNR fans, why not? He was arguably one of the bigger reasons Axl can still even play stadiums today, each to their own, :shrugs: ...

I couldn't agree more.