Does anyone else like the current band members better than Axl?

Georgy Zhukov

MyGnR is in crisis... really. It's damn sad.

It took me damn long to realize you are It Don't Really Matter, what the fuck dude. LOL.

LOL I put it in my sig and my profile so people'd know... I wanted my name change for quite some time but only recently decided what to change it to.

Ha, being honest I can't read fuckin' shit with the color and size you used but great to know you're still around! ;)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MyGnR is in crisis... really. It's damn sad.

It took me damn long to realize you are It Don't Really Matter, what the fuck dude. LOL.

LOL I put it in my sig and my profile so people'd know... I wanted my name change for quite some time but only recently decided what to change it to.

Ha, being honest I can't read fuckin' shit with the color and size you used but great to know you're still around! ;)

haha I just didn't want to ruin my sig style!! :xmasssanta: But thanks!!!

Guest Broskirose

I am not going to respond to all of this atm. I'm going to bed.

I think you're just getting too invested in hypothetical guesses. Is it possible that maybe Axl can do everything Ron can do and choses not to? Umm, I guess...maybe....not really.

So what do you want me to say? That it isn't fair to say Ron is undeniably the better singer, but based on the numerous footage/streams/live performances I've seen from both singers, I can conclude that Ron is likely the better singer? Isn't it all just a needless jumble of words? Yeah, ok I guess hypothetically there is no way to know for sure unless you capture them, lock them in a lab, and run tests on them in every single condition possible for months...but, really it's not even like this is a close call. Ron has Axl drastically beat in almost every catagory.

I think it is very important that they at least sing songs that are, if not identical, so at least equally technically hard to sing, if you want to do comparisons.

Sleep tight :)

You bring up the technicals, so give examples trollboy!

I don't think broskirose is trolling, at least not intentionally, he is just very...enamoured with Bumblefoot and you know it is hard to be objective under such circumstances.

Umm, I'm not enamored by Bumblefoot at all. And I'm also just as big a fan as him as I am of Axl.

I'm just saying the truth and if that hurts for some people here, oh well.

I think it's 99% safe to say that what I'm saying is the truth. You've even admitted to not being to familiar with Bumblefoot's work so it's not even like you are arguing because you actually seem to disagree but more, arguing for arguing's sake.

Would I still follow Guns if Axl wasn't there? No.

Do I think the new band gels superbly, has great chemistry and are an awesome bunch of guys who are good with the fans? Fuck yea! DJ and Bumble may polarize opinion, but you surely can't deny they do a hell of a fucking lot for us Gunners in terms of giving whatever they can, be that web streams, chats, interviews etc.

It's not too difficult to be better than Axl these days. rsz_mickey.jpg

That made me laugh. A lot, actually. :rofl-lol:

We wouldn't count the whistle register since it has very little relevance to singing unless you are Mariah Fucking Carey

Certainly this ain't true. We see a lot of people praising her for doing so, and when she does that, the crowd goes crazy. And now think about a man doing that, and a man with a deep voice like Ron's. This is certainly incredible and even her can't control that voice properly sometimes...

And the reason why Axl might not use that insanely irritating register may simply be that he has more sense than people who use it. How do you know that Ron can hit every note Axl can hit? What dynamic range does he have? Do you have examples of him hitting F#5 in full voice? How high can he go in falsetto?

I've heard him going much higher - live and in studio. :) Heard him sing from Rob Halford to Bruce to Mercury to Opera-like singers. Axl can hardly sing GNR tunes, let alone Priest, Maiden or Queen.

ok I guess hypothetically there is no way to know for sure unless you capture them, lock them in a lab, and run tests on them in every single condition possible for months...but, really it's not even like this is a close call. Ron has Axl drastically beat in almost every catagory.

There is, indeed. Live performances, studio performances, everything in between. And you made the call already.

Agree that BBF is the better singer technically. It's a fact, unless Axl is hiding his skills on purpose. Now how likely is that?

Yes, and I don't think Axl is hiding his skills on purpose.

In fact, if someone tells me a musician is technically better than someone else in the conversation to me my mind automatically adds "he doesn't write as powerful songs though" because if someone uses technical abilities as a reason for superiority it's really a last resort type thing.

Uh, no. Being technically great means a lot, everyone knows that - can you imagine if Mercury was the equivalent of Axl as a singer? Can you imagine if Axl was as the equivalent of Izzy as a singer? They certainly wouldn't have made as much impact. Can you imagine if Eddie Van Halen was the equivalent of, let's say, DJ Ashba? The mind of a genius in a body of a good guitar player. Being technically good means that you can bring to your music what's inside of your head, so your post doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So you are wrong, totally wrong, no matter how much you try to hide behind this nonsense thinking.

I'm not going to post vids or whatnot because Ron isn't the kind of person who likes these comparisons - feel free to do so and I'll respond if I feel like doing it, but I'm not going further.

Regarding the thread, yes, absolutely. I like Ron much better than Axl.

I learned some time ago not to get attached to the other members of the band, 'cause they come and go. Anyhow tick tock, tick tock .... times a wasting with the constant touring/ greatest hits cash grab. Us entitled fans need another album or three....

As to Bumblefoot being a better technical singer than Axl:

This still needs to be proven, and until that happens it is just an opinion/claim. When it comes to vocal range this can easily be determined, and Axl's range is (C♯1-)G♯1-G5(-C♯7); now we just need to determine Bumbles'. Whispering range is well and good if it is applicable to singing, meaning that you can modulate consistently in that register. If not it is just one of many weird noises we can produce but has little bearing on the technical skills of a singer. And just to emphasize: I am not denying that Bumbles can sing in the whistle register, just saying that it still needs to be documented. Other components that may be included to comprise "technical singing", include control, sustain, and various forms of modulating the sound (resulting in singing "styles"). Unfortunately these are very hard to quantify objectively.

Just listen to the 92 Tokyo DVD's especially on SCOM outro when Axl sings his fucking throat off...

Or listen to the 2010 London O2 gig second night for example KOHD on the end...

Your statements:

AFD is boring

Slash is shit

Bumblefoot is better singer than Axl

Truth? really?

max an opinion

Just listen to the 92 Tokyo DVD's especially on SCOM outro when Axl sings his fucking throat off...

We all did, certainly. Power doesn't mean shit to me (And technically) when in fact he hardly can stay in tune a whole song while singing his throat off. That's one of the reasons why I like current Axl much better and why some people consider him a joke when he couldn't even sing his own tunes properly because all he had was raw power - and range, but that doesn't sound good when you can't control your voice properly. He was not able to sing tunes like SCOM, Patience and November Rain properly then and he still can't do it now. Even Scott Weiland sang Patience much better than Axl - live, that is. He can't sing TWAT, can't sing Catcher, can't sing This I Love - in studio he had a perfect mix of rasp and clean, now he almost only goes to the full rasp voice. He can't sing Scraped and I think that he can't because he can't control his voice properly, sadly, so he goes to the full rasp voice. That is a shame because he could be much better than he is if he wanted to learn how to sing his own tunes properly. Either that or he simply can't because he... lacks technique.

Guest Broskirose

Or listen to the 2010 London O2 gig second night for example KOHD on the end...

Your statements:

AFD is boring

Slash is shit

Bumblefoot is better singer than Axl

Truth? really?

max an opinion

I have owned those DVD's for years and I'm not sure what your point is. Do you know what the word "technical" even means?

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Spash is shit. And why do you keep obsessing over things that have nothing to do with the topic?

I mean, I've been saying this shit forever. If you still haven't gotten over the fact that I don't think the same as you do on certain subjects, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Broskirose

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Spash is shit. And why do you keep obsessing over things that have nothing to do with the topic?

No offence Broski but you pretty much have done on numerous occasions whether jokingly or not. Maybe not those exact words but you know you have! :lol:

We all did, certainly. Power doesn't mean shit to me (And technically) when in fact he hardly can stay in tune a whole song while singing his throat off. That's one of the reasons why I like current Axl much better and why some people consider him a joke when he couldn't even sing his own tunes properly because all he had was raw power - and range, but that doesn't sound good when you can't control your voice properly. He was not able to sing tunes like SCOM, Patience and November Rain properly then and he still can't do it now. Even Scott Weiland sang Patience much better than Axl - live, that is. He can't sing TWAT, can't sing Catcher, can't sing This I Love - in studio he had a perfect mix of rasp and clean, now he almost only goes to the full rasp voice. He can't sing Scraped and I think that he can't because he can't control his voice properly, sadly, so he goes to the full rasp voice. That is a shame because he could be much better than he is if he wanted to learn how to sing his own tunes properly. Either that or he simply can't because he... lacks technique.

I see what you're trying to say and you're clearly entitled to your opinion so I say this with the utmost respect!

BOLLOCKS!

Guest Len B'stard

As a bloke you can't really fault Bumble, he's a top lad. Tommy Stinson i love just from being in The Replacements but i don't think Tommy GnR is as mental as Tommy Replacement. Fortus i don't think i've ever seen or heard a single word from, same with Frank, who by the way is a spitting image of Paul McCartneys drummer (no, not fuckin' Ringo :lol:) Ashbas just a bit of a dud character really, nothing much to say worth listening to...hmm, who else, who else is in the fuckin band? Dizzy, meh...

And Axls just Axl...so yeah, as a bloke, it'd probably be Bumblefoot or Tommy, more likely Tommy. Tommy i like better than the lot of em, always will :)

Guest Broskirose

Broskirose--

1) How is AFD "boring"??

2) Why do you think Slash is "shit"? You've explained in great detail why you love Bumblefoot, but can you explain why you think Slash is shit?

I refuse to talk about topics that have nothing to do with the thread. Not sure why people are so bent on derailing it or what it has to do with anything. However your second statement is putting words in my mouth. I've never said skash is shit. Nor do I believe he is now.

If you want to discuss these things I'll be happy to in other threads. But, someone already linked to my post on another forum where I explained why I found AFD boring so, I'm not sure what there is left to discuss. I must admit I find it hilarious that a thread I made over a year ago has, to this day, caused so much outrage on forums.

Edited by Broskirose

Guest Broskirose

As to Bumblefoot being a better technical singer than Axl:

This still needs to be proven, and until that happens it is just an opinion/claim. When it comes to vocal range this can easily be determined, and Axl's range is (C♯1-)G♯1-G5(-C♯7); now we just need to determine Bumbles'. Whispering range is well and good if it is applicable to singing, meaning that you can modulate consistently in that register. If not it is just one of many weird noises we can produce but has little bearing on the technical skills of a singer. And just to emphasize: I am not denying that Bumbles can sing in the whistle register, just saying that it still needs to be documented. Other components that may be included to comprise "technical singing", include control, sustain, and various forms of modulating the sound (resulting in singing "styles"). Unfortunately these are very hard to quantify objectively.

I do not know enough about vocal range and notes so I can't tell you the highest note he hits. But, I can assure you that he can match Axl's lowest note and beat Axl's highest note even if we are excluding whistle register.

There actually are documented examples of him singing in whistle register however they are quite rare and regardless of what many people think, I am not a walking Bumblefoot encylopedia so I may be unaware of several. Here is an example of him clearly singing in whistle register, and not just making "weird noises".

Hey Ya cover in lounge style - 4:39

There was also a video of him singing Mariah Carey live but, it has been deleted off youtube. I'll try to find it later online somewhere when I have more time. There is another example I am thinking of as well, but I can't remember it atm.

But regarding the Hey Ya cover - that wasn't a scream or a whistle or any other nonesense noise that shows a lack of control of voice in whistle register. It was clearly a distinctive powerful note. And from that alone, it's pretty clear that Ron has Axl beat in the vocal range category atleast.

without Axl, I would not know any of them. If any one of them were fired and replaced I wouldn't care too much. I'm not so sure I care for any new music either. I'm not so sure I care for Axl much these days either. I have no desire to see the current band live. I did make an effort to see the Buckethead line up live. I made every effort to see the Slash line up live, and they rocked the most :thumbsup:

While Robin and Bucket weren't Guns N'Roses, I did find their input exciting.

..of all the current hired hands, mayne I like BF the most. Not so much for his guitar, more for the person he is. He seems to have all the right intentions, and should maybe be in a proper band, and not simply some hired hand putting up with all that is thrown at him - I hope that makes some sense.

Edited by vaida