Does anybody else think that New GNR without Bucket was kind of like Maverick without Goose or Mickey without Minnie for Axl?

Randy Lahey

Does anybody else think that New GNR without Bucket was kind of like Maverick without Goose or Mickey without Minnie for Axl? I can't help but think we'd have had that trilogy by now if Axl's wingman was still by his side. Even the jokers who designed the Chinese Democracy booklet got it right when they put Axl and Buckethead side by side.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody else think that New GNR without Bucket was kind of like Maverick without Goose or Mickey without Minnie for Axl? I can't help but think we'd have had that trilogy by now if Axl's wingman was still by his side. Even the jokers who designed the Chinese Democracy booklet got it right when they put Axl and Buckethead side by side.

In regards to NuGuns the only non-original member that casual people are aware of is Bucket. Most casual fans dont know his work and mock his appearance but in the end at least people know who he is 10 years later... Were as most casual fans dont have a clue who 4tur or stinson or even DJ are.

It's very hard to say. GNR circa 2002 with the Bucket could have been huge and forged a brilliant second chapter in GNR's career but for whatever reasons it got all fucked up and fell apart.

Bumblefoot was a pretty awesome replacement, though. The reason New GNR doesn't do anything other than sporadic touring, is all on Axl.

as good as he was, he did not suit GNR. he was fuckin weird and his guitar playing was to technical and video game/industrial for gnr.

That's why I specifically said New GNR. Old GNR is its own entity and it hasn't been in the public eye for nearly 20 years at this point.

I wonder why Axl doesn't try to bring Bucket or Robin back.

Because they don't want to come back. Robin recently played a show with them as a special guest, so he's cool with the band, but he obviously wants to do NIN more than GNR. Bucket doesn't want to be a part of GNR because to him (like many other fans) GNR was originally the Axl/Slash show. In his mind, it should have therefore transitioned to the Axl/Bucket show.

I mean hell, the guy was with ozzy osbourne for what, a day?! Can't mix that weirdo with any ego...or else!

I wonder why Axl doesn't try to bring Bucket or Robin back.

Because they don't want to come back. Robin recently played a show with them as a special guest, so he's cool with the band, but he obviously wants to do NIN more than GNR. Bucket doesn't want to be a part of GNR because to him (like many other fans) GNR was originally the Axl/Slash show. In his mind, it should have therefore transitioned to the Axl/Bucket show.

I mean hell, the guy was with ozzy osbourne for what, a day?! Can't mix that weirdo with any ego...or else!

He doesn't want to be a replacement at all. He is more creative than GNR ever was. (yes, i write this as a GNR fan more than a Bucketfan)

They guy released 40? albums since he quit from GNR?

So this would be better for him, but Axl and NuGNR... That's another thing.

It's very hard to say. GNR circa 2002 with the Bucket could have been huge and forged a brilliant second chapter in GNR's career but for whatever reasons it got all fucked up and fell apart.

Bumblefoot was a pretty awesome replacement, though. The reason New GNR doesn't do anything other than sporadic touring, is all on Axl.

This. Great post.

Buckethead and Robin Finck defined the new era of Guns N' Roses. Sad they are long gone now.

+1 :thumbsup:

Judging by the number of threads started by Randy Lahey and Indigo Miser, I'm not sure who thinks about GNR more? Seriously guys, do you have anything else on your minds besides GNR at any point during the day?

Cheers,

Andrew

Stupid title Randy' - shame, interesting topic!

Note to people complaining - this thread will be moved to new section of a re-structured forum when the changes happen so R E L A X

I love Bucket' and honestly? I do miss him from both a recording and live perspective.

Guest Broskirose

Bring back Robin. Words cannot descrbe what a great artist he is. And in comparison to his replacement which is just...the exact opposite in every single way, it really is devestating.

It saddens me that a man who was so artisitic, spontaneous and soulful has been replaced by a bad 80's cock rock impersonater who just uses the band to promote his stupid company. I am absolutely sick to my stomache of Dj Ashba and literally can't stand a single thing about that leech.

Everything from his embarassing tats to his embarassing playing bothers me.

Bring back Robin!!!

Edited by Broskirose

Bring back Robin. Words cannot descrbe what a great artist he is. And in comparison to his replacement which is just...the exact opposite in every single way, it really is devestating.

It saddens me that a man who was so artisitic, spontaneous and soulful has been replaced by a bad 80's cock rock impersonater who just uses the band to promote his stupid company. I am absolutely sick to my stomache of Dj Ashba and literally can't stand a single thing about that leech.

Everything from his embarassing tats to his embarassing playing bothers me.

Bring back Robin!!!

+1

Bucket probably was the guy who's come closest to "replacing Slash" and being a true #2/wing-man to Axl [ironically- I think the next closest is probably Dj (at least image-wise/live)- but that's another thread- and not one I particularly look forward to! lol!]. That said- though Axl and Bucket were a great creative tandom IMHO- they weren't ideal bandmates as both are rather eccentric "loose cannons" to say the least. Everyone cracks on Steven for getting kicked out b/c of "drugs"- but perhaps equally as comical was Axl's letter announcing Bucket's departure/separation from the band on the basis of being "unpredictable". :tongue2:

Also- anyone who follows Bucket knows he's got a sizable cult/counter-culture fanbase who were not to pleased with him joining a "mainstream" RN'R act like GN'R. That was always going to be a constant source of internal conflict for him IMHO- so I never really buy into the idea that had Bucket stayed he would have willingly gone along as Axl's "foil" in videos, promotional materials, etc.

Anyway- I'm sure it was a blow to Axl at the time- but per his chats on these forums a few years back where he seemed to wish Bucket the best, etc.- and his seeming satisfaction with his current band (at least from a touring perspective)- I think he's surely "recovered" by now. 8+ years ago now- and certainly not the first axe-man he's parted ways with.

naa I'm happy with Bumble in the band just because he's a better guitarist then Buckethead but it would be really nice to hear what kind of songs Buckethead would have written with Axl because he's such a emotional writer but if he only would have made stuff that sound like his rocking solo songs I wouldn't be that intested.

I always found Bucket didn't suit GNR for his image, incredible musician and professional. Perhaps he'd be more welcome touring with Alice Cooper?

Robin, just as weird as bucket just without the mask. The way he moved around on stage just looked awkward. Credit to him for the Song Better, and his outro solo on it, but DJ has been a far better replacement, Robin was always sloppy, I don't know if that's cause he was under the influence of anything. DJ makes less mistakes and if you ever seen the band live, this guy is the most crowd pleasing, he's worth his weight in gold when it comes to interaction.

Ron is just as good as bucket when it comes to Guitar playing, he also tops him on crowd interaction, I'd rather hear his solo's than some buckets robot dance. However, Ron and DJ have yet to bring new material to the plate, where as Bucket and Robin did.... So it's hard to compare.

Bucket is probably one of the greatest guitarists in history who will sadly never get recognition as such.

I absolutely agree with that. Mind, he chose the bucket' !!

True but it's such a double standard isn't it? I mean Ozzy Osbourne turned down Bucket because he wouldn't take the mask off, right? But this is the same Ozzy who is probably most famous (nowadays) for biting the heads off of small winged animals and for making a fool of himself with his reality TV show. Rock is weird, but yet even the weirdest rock stars seem to have these double standards. It's weird how superficial it can get. Jimmy Page with his obsession with the occult and black magick was no weirder than Bucket, IMO, for example. Or Lennon and Ono with their new age obsessions, bizarre recordings and odd hair/clothes styles...I just feel like, if a guy can play, and make beautiful music--And Bucket certainly can--than what should it matter if he wears a bucket on his head or a WWI gas mask?

And I am of the controversial opinion that Bucket is up there with Page, Brian May, Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaugh, Mick Taylor, and Slash in terms of pure, raw talent. Bucket can play literally in any genre and play it damn well; He is not just a mindless shredder like Satriani or the others...He takes shredding and all the best more traditional styles and blends them together to create something beautiful.

Edited by Indigo Miser