Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why did Duff turn down Snakepit?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
Duff in his book claims he and Axl turned down the Snakepit material because it sounded like "Southern Rock"...But I've never understood that complaint. There are maybe one or two songs on there which are in a Southern inspired vein and the rest is pretty straight forward bluesy Rock N' Roll, very close to the GN'R sound. I'll never understand why Duff didn't like the Snakepit material, especially since he co-wrote a song on it....Had he not vetoed it, it might've pushed Axl to work on the stuff...As it was, Axl did eventually decide he wanted to work on it but by then it was too late.

It was and is basically GN'R's next album. It's the album GN'R would've made if Axl had been fired. I mean it has Slash, Gilby, Matt, Dizzy on it--four out of six members. It has a song co-written by Duff. It has contributions from Teddy Zigzag, who was basically an unofficial member of GN'R, and it was produced by Mike Clink (GN'R's producer) and mixed by Thompson & Barbiero (the same guys who mixed AFD; The UYIs and TSI were mixed by Bill Price), and it's mastered by George Marino, who mastered the original GN'R albums. IMO, it's basically a GN'R record in all but name--The inverse of Chinese Democracy.
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

WhazUp

WhazUp

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,653 posts
  • 29-February 08
Maybe Duff just felt that the material was good, but just not what they wanted to work on for the new album (apparently Axl felt that way too but later wanted to do a few of them). Not that I know anything about this - because none of us do - but I can certaintly hear a few of those songs being GNR tunes but I get why the rest were either not the right fit or just not up to par. What happened after the material was initially rejected is anyones guess. Axl has his side of the story but I don't know if I would take ANY of the GNR guy's perspectives as one hundred percent fact

Edited by WhazUp, 15 June 2012 - 03:34 PM.

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10
Even if Axl wanted to work on the material I don't think Slash would have let him do what he wanted. Slash was not happy with Axl's overdubs on the UYI material and, to this day, feels that the demos were better then the finished product.....And while Axl might be exaggerating when he said Slash told him to "shut up and sing" I could see them battling over changes to the Snakepit material.....Even Marc made a cryptic comment in a post that he felt Slash should have allowed Axl to work on the Snakepit material.........
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06

Even if Axl wanted to work on the material I don't think Slash would have let him do what he wanted. Slash was not happy with Axl's overdubs on the UYI material and, to this day, feels that the demos were better then the finished product.....And while Axl might be exaggerating when he said Slash told him to "shut up and sing" I could see them battling over changes to the Snakepit material.....Even Marc made a cryptic comment in a post that he felt Slash should have allowed Axl to work on the Snakepit material.........

Yeah but my question was why did Duff turn it down? Gilby claimed he did way back in '94, Axl claimed it in '99 and Duff confirmed it in his book. It just seems out of character for Duff as the material is mostly straight up rock music.
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

MB.

MB.

SUPER GOD

• SILVER
  • 3,764 posts
  • 15-December 08

Yeah but my question was why did Duff turn it down? Gilby claimed he did way back in '94, Axl claimed it in '99 and Duff confirmed it in his book. It just seems out of character for Duff as the material is mostly straight up rock music.

Duff was not straight up rock, maybe straight up punk. But not really straight up rock. He joined Axl in his whish to go in another more 'modern' direction at first.

I like most of the first snakepit album, but it could have been a lot better if Axl could have worked on it.

Edited by MBRose, 15 June 2012 - 03:55 PM.

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10

Wellf you don't accept Duff's explaination in his book shoot him a tweet and ask him? I agree with you it does not make sense but maybe that is how he felt at the time............

Edited by classicrawker, 15 June 2012 - 03:53 PM.

IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

SPACE TRAVELLER

• Members
  • 6,705 posts
  • 28-April 11
I think Duff wanted something different like Axl. He tried his best to stay and see a change in direction in GnR but couldn't deal with Axl's personality.

Sig2_zpsf82904fb.png

WhazUp

WhazUp

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,653 posts
  • 29-February 08

I think Duff wanted something different like Axl. He tried his best to stay and see a change in direction in GnR but couldn't deal with Axl's personality.

I remember Axl claiming that Duff and Matt showed no intrest in Oh My God either, so I don't know how different Duff wanted things at that point (or maybe he just didn't think OMG was a strong tune)

Edited by WhazUp, 15 June 2012 - 04:03 PM.

SoulMonster

SoulMonster

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,687 posts
  • 12-December 08

I agree, Duff was always open to new things and probably felt -- like Axl -- that Slash's material really went backwards not forwards. And hopefully he also saw that the Snakepit material was bad.

Taking things too seriously since 1988. -- I wonder how it is to be an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac, lying awake at night wondering if there really is a dog. -- NEVER EXPECT, ALWAYS HOPE.

Nintari

Nintari

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • 13-December 09
Really, only Back And Forth and Beggars could have been GNR songs imo.

4. Itchy. Tasty.

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

SPACE TRAVELLER

• Members
  • 6,705 posts
  • 28-April 11

Really, only Back And Forth and Beggars could have been GNR songs imo.

Dimestore Rock would fit perfectly in UYI.

Sig2_zpsf82904fb.png

Modano09

Modano09

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • 01-March 06
Why is it when Axl wants to take things in another direction, he's selfish and crazy...but Slash strolls in with an album of songs he wrote himself and gets his panties in a knot when the rest of the band doesn't fall all over themselves to make Slash's album the next GNR album.

AxlRose14

AxlRose14

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • 28-February 09

Why is it when Axl wants to take things in another direction, he's selfish and crazy...but Slash strolls in with an album of songs he wrote himself and gets his panties in a knot when the rest of the band doesn't fall all over themselves to make Slash's album the next GNR album.

Cuz we got a bunch of bitter fans still crying cuz axl made them wait two hours for a show..God fucking forbid!

Chewbacca

Chewbacca

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,391 posts
  • 23-December 10
Simply because he didn't like it, I guess.

I'M HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE  25jhz46.gif THIS I FEEL AS THE DAWN IT FADES TO GRAY

WhazUp

WhazUp

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,653 posts
  • 29-February 08

Cuz we got a bunch of bitter fans still crying cuz axl made them wait two hours for a show..God fucking forbid!

The late starts are irrelevant to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users