Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why did Duff turn down Snakepit?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,680 posts
  • 03-April 03

Really, only Back And Forth and Beggars could have been GNR songs imo.

Dimestore Rock would fit perfectly in UYI.

With a wee tempo change, Neither Can I could've been their next Civil War.

“To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can’t pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it."

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10

I think Duff wanted something different like Axl. He tried his best to stay and see a change in direction in GnR but couldn't deal with Axl's personality.

I agree, Duff was always open to new things and probably felt -- like Axl -- that Slash's material really went backwards not forwards. And hopefully he also saw that the Snakepit material was bad.

Except it wasn't bad......
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

Dead Flower

Dead Flower

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 13,417 posts
  • 18-July 04
maybe he realised that it would completely fuck things up between axl and slash so he didn't get involved.

smart guy.

pulJp.jpg

I don't care if your world is ending today because I wasn't invited to it anyway

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER
  • 16,209 posts
  • 10-May 08

Really, only Back And Forth and Beggars could have been GNR songs imo.

Dimestore Rock would fit perfectly in UYI.

With a wee tempo change, Neither Can I could've been their next Civil War.

:laugh:

dQOAHSG.png

Dead Flower

Dead Flower

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 13,417 posts
  • 18-July 04
Nothing funny about that. Neither Can I is a fantastic piece of music.

pulJp.jpg

I don't care if your world is ending today because I wasn't invited to it anyway

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

SPACE TRAVELLER

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
  • 28-April 11

I think Duff wanted something different like Axl. He tried his best to stay and see a change in direction in GnR but couldn't deal with Axl's personality.

I agree, Duff was always open to new things and probably felt -- like Axl -- that Slash's material really went backwards not forwards. And hopefully he also saw that the Snakepit material was bad.

It's got some really good songs but some pretty crappy ones as well. I prefer the second snake pit album by far.

Sig2_zpsf82904fb.png

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  • 03-April 03

One of the best of any post Guns album.

“To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can’t pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it."

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10

It's got some really good songs but some pretty crappy ones as well. I prefer the second snake pit album by far.

Difference of opinion mate I like both albums but prefer the first....like most albums both have their strong and weak songs......but neither was "bad" IMHO.......even Libertad was not bad.......again IMHO........
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

ThinkAboutYou

ThinkAboutYou

BADASS MOFO

• SILVER
  • 12,271 posts
  • 20-July 02
I think they turned it down basically because the lack of imput they had in creating snakepit music

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER
  • 16,209 posts
  • 10-May 08

One of the best of any post Guns album.

Great song, but it ain't got shit on Civil War.

dQOAHSG.png

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• SILVER
  • 14,768 posts
  • 28-January 11
I think Axl said somewhere that Slash didn't want him to make any kind of modifications to the songs? Let's face it, Slash was a pain in the ass too and it was his first opportunity (after Izzy's departure) to write the next GN'R record in its entirety. Let's also remember that "Fall To Pieces" was presented to Axl back in the 90s. The first Snakepit record kicks fuckin' ass but I can't see those songs (unmodified) as the next GN'R record. I need to agree with Axl and Duff.

Edited by pi2loc, 15 June 2012 - 11:04 PM.

Posted Image

Goddamn it! Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

SoulMonster

SoulMonster

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,689 posts
  • 12-December 08

That's sort of subjective. It could be that Duff considered it bad, too.

Taking things too seriously since 1988. -- I wonder how it is to be an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac, lying awake at night wondering if there really is a dog. -- NEVER EXPECT, ALWAYS HOPE.

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  • 03-April 03

Great song, but it ain't got shit on Civil War.

That's why I said with a wee bit of a tempo change. The change to the music need only be minimal. GNR could always use more blues. Even now they're flirting with that feel, although way more diluted.

Would've been cool also, to see the band do something with the Doin' Fine riffs.

Edited by moreblack, 16 June 2012 - 12:25 AM.

Groghan

Groghan

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 11,286 posts
  • 15-July 03

Why is it when Axl wants to take things in another direction, he's selfish and crazy...but Slash strolls in with an album of songs he wrote himself and gets his panties in a knot when the rest of the band doesn't fall all over themselves to make Slash's album the next GNR album.

Cuz we got a bunch of bitter fans still crying cuz axl made them wait two hours for a show..God fucking forbid!

What is a term for fans who spend more time complaining about what other fans think, so they constant derail every topic with their whining and crying? You wonder why those fans worry so much about what other people think. So you have adopted the term Bitter for people who get annoyed by Axl's late starts....I don't think they are really bitter, it is just that most have been to numerous concerts and every other band in the world cares enough about their fans to not have multiple hour delays before starting. So maybe "slightly annoyed" would be a better label?

So how would you label the posters who are always crying about other posters? Whiners? Babies? What do u think?

MB.

MB.

SUPER GOD

• SILVER
  • 3,815 posts
  • 15-December 08

So how would you label the posters who are always crying about other posters? Whiners? Babies? What do u think?

Groghan's ??????

Back on topic
Personally, I like the first Snakepit a little more, but the second has 'serial killer' on it. That song is one of my favorites ever, I really love that song! And maybe I like the singer from the second a little more.

Both albums are IMO better, than his last solo albums. You can still hear the AFD, GNR influence a lot on those. But that's just my opinion.

Would have loved it, if Duff worked on the albums as well, especially the second one, would have made it a little more raw, I guess.

Edited by MBRose, 16 June 2012 - 04:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users