The Meaning of 'Sorry'

Jordan Rose

I did try and find the original song discussion thread but 'discuss sorry' turns up nothing in search so excuse me for starting a new thread. Besides, I think i've given this enough time and thought to justify a new thread, if I do say so myself.

Axl got a bit uppity in the chats about our discussions over the meaning of 'Sorry' and said it's not about one person or situation or 'the fans' as a collective. He said at a show that 'it's not about someone I used to know'. The fact that he's gotten so narkey about it and hasn't come out and had a go at people for allocating the wrong ex-missus to the ballads suggests to me it's more a case of him not wanting it to catch on in the media/fanbase at large/magazines that 'Sorry' is 'The Slash song'. Maybe it's a slander thing, maybe it's something else or maybe i'm wrong and none of it pertains directly to Slash, I just don't believe him when he says it doesn't. He laughed when people asked who the ballads were about and said it'd be revealed sometime maybe. He got arsey about 'Sorry'.

As much as he wants to downplay Slash's contributions to GN'R he's probably aware that putting an overtly Slash-bashing song on a GN'R album isn't going to sit well with many people and would rather not have it become a big issue or common consensus.

First up, as several reviews have noted, Chinese is largely about the journey of making Chinese or the obstacles in its way. Even the political title track talks about 'precious time'. He addresses how his 'life's a catastrophe' in 'Scraped'; how all the birds have driven him to crippling depression in 'SOD', 'Twat', 'TIL' and 'Prostitute'; in 'I.R.S' he's living inside of a song about having done more than his share, being too tired to care, feeling like a broken record and in Rhiad some people conspired against him and he seeks salvation from their lies.

At Rio 3 he said he hoped 'Madagascar' would express his sentiments and i'm going to assume we're all clever enough to agree it's directly about the break-up of the band. The title is a wonderful analogy: Madagascar is an island that broke away from mainland Africa milions of years ago and is still drifting away. It has developed its own quite incredible and unique ecosystem with giant lizards and other creatures unlike anythng anywhere else on Earth. I read it as Axl is the island and Chinese is the ecosystem.

The 'storm' he's breen bought down by is all the shit to do with the break-up of the band. I'm no gonna go through line by line because I assume we can agree that the people he's forgiving are the old band for tearing down his soul with lies and lawsuits and nasty interviews; that the chains he's free of are the ones the old band held together; the person who promised 'never to leave me' was Slash (this has been told by Slash, Axl, Keith Richards); the 'failure to communicate' is obvious and made moreso by the link to 'Civil War', Slash's song. It's all there, i'm not here to analyse 'Madagascar', just to point out that here's a song on the album directly discussing in detail Axl's sentiments about the break-up, which is what you'd expect to have on the album, right?

Now, given especially all the new in info from Canter confirming what we all know from tens of sources anyway: that Axl has spent much of the last 16 years consumed by his anger towards and disappointment in Slash; that he was obsessed with the insult of Velvet Revolver and that he clearly wants people to know the truth, or his truth, about Slash and what went down........ how does it make any sense that there wouldn't be a song on the album dealing with this most central issue of Axl's life? He's done the women; Lennon's murder; kids with guns; Black Bond; the lawsuits; the old band in general; Chinese politics and the general fucked-up nature of his life....so why on Earth would he not write about his arch nemesis? Unless he saved the songs about him for the next records...

I think he did write about him and directly to him on 'Sorry', he just doesn't want it out there as a big thing for some or any of the reasons i've guessed at.

He said it's not about Slash and not about 'the fans' but offerered no alternative. We know what people he considers enemies and what situations he dislikes yet he rejected those as subject matter and offered nothing else that we don't know about.

Slash is quite open about having written a whole album about Axl, back when he was still in GN'R and then there's the Ozzy thing on the last solo album which he says Ozzy wrote but he either must have asked for a song about Axl and Guns or helped with the lyrics or whatever.

That's my general thought on it, now i'm gonna get specific:

You like to hurt me

Yo know that you do

You like to think in some way

That it's me and not you

(But you know that isn't true)

Okay, so this is slightly vague but totally jives with the way Axl has spoken about Slash so many times. (I am not going to spend hours trawling through chats, old news, interviews etc for specific quotes, i'm just going to assume you've read everything 20 times like I have and know what I mean. If I can remember quotes i'll use them. If you don't know what i'm on about, spend a few days reading the archives on HTGTH and Chinese Whispers and trawl through the chats). Axl has gone on ad nauseum about how Slash has made everyone think that the break-up and problems were all Axl's fault and not his, as have the rest of the old band at some point.

(Why do I not think that it could be addressed to the other guys like Izzy who called him an egomaniacal monster in Classic Rock in 2001? Because he's forgiven them, talked to them, hung with them, played with them etc).

We know from Canter that Axl feels nobody in the world has hurt him more than Slash, at least non-romantically.

You like to have me jump and be good

But I don't want to do it

This is more vague than the first lines and could refer to 'the biz' as Axl calls it, management, the label, the fans, the press etc. But that doesn't exclude Slash who most certainly from day 1, according to Axl, popped Axl's tape out, put his in and expected Axl to share the steering wheel. You could infer things about late start times, musical direction and just Slash generally wanting Axl to behave and do things the way he'd prefer.

You don't know why I wont act the way you think I should

Again, vague. Could be anybody but certainly doesn't preclude Slash.

You thought they'd make me behave and submit

What were you thinking

'Cause I don't forget

Now here's where I really start to take exception with Axl's denial that the song is specific. Because this is a direct, specific statement to someone. Someone, in some situation, expected someone else to make Axl behave the way they wanted. It could be Slash thinking the label would make Axl co-operate, it could be many things but has to be directed to an individual. When he says 'What were you thinking/Cause I don't forget' the person he's addressing is implied to know that Axl has a long memory/holds a grudge and therefore was foolish to cross him. That is personal and specific.

You don't know why

I wont give in

To hell with the pressure

I'm not caving in

Vague, but i'd bet my life when he wrote it he meant he ain't caving in to the pressure to reunite, have Slash back etc.

You know that I

Got under your skin

You sold your soul

But I wont let you win

Someone sold their soul to the devil. Funny that the word Canter used repeatedly to describe Axl's feelings towards Slash was of an evil devil.

Although the lyrics could have come later, it's likely they were finished during Bucket's tenure with the band. But 'You know that I/Got under your skin' always makes me think of the 2006 Slash/Axl/Weiland war of words. Remember, Slash had been talking up how much he liked the Guns leaks, said he'd always been supportive, was looking forward to hearing the whole album. Then Axl had his people put out a statement saying Slash's overtures were 'surprising' since he'd been the opposite of supportive. Then Slash turned up and spoke to Beta and Axl told everyone what he'd said about VR which Slash probably hadn't expected or planned for and when Slash failed to contradict Axl's claims, Weiland got involved. Not to mention the lawsuits about royalties and ownership flying about. One things for sure, Axl definitely got under Slash's skin during that episode. It's not impossible that he wrote or added those lyrics after 2006 but he could also be referring to something private that we don't know about or something to do with HOB/Rio 2001 and various things going on between them at that point.

You talk too much

You say I do

The difefernce is nobody cares about you

This couldn't be any more clearly about Slash. What is Axl's single biggest issue, problem and hang-up that he's dragged around with him for years that we know of? The supposed lies and allegations made by the old band but specifically Slash and largely pertaining to the rights to the name being signed over under duress. He's discussed it at length in the chats and at shows in 2002: 'Just because you've got a bunch of guys agreeing don't mean jack shit. The truth is that they're a bunch of bad cops, i'm the fucking Serpico and they can suck my dick'.

Whilst Izzy has also bashed Axl extensively in the press over the years (none moreso than in the aforementioned Classic Rock article from 2001 which is frankly as or more brutal than anything Slash has said including his more angry comments in 1996-1998), Axl has clearly gotten over the things said by Steven, Matt, Duff, Izzy and Gilby enough to hang with them at the least. He's made very clear with the lawsuit about Slash in Guitar Hero, with his statements in 2006 and so many other times that his problem with Slash talking too much in the press as opposed to others is that Slash has done it all in a deely manipulative way that has solidly put the fans, public, magazines, industry etc on Slash's side and made Axl out to be the asshole who is completely at fault for everything. He feels Slash has done this whilst playing up his 'guitar hero' image through association with all things Guns and has done so at Axl's expense. He, probably rightly as history seems to have proved, feels that the negative comments by the other members were just reactionary and sometimes fair and not deeply malicious with an agenda as he feels Slash's were.

Lots of people talk too much but Slash is the only one whom Axl can't seem to forgive. If he wrote the lyrics in 2002 it would have been more accurate to think that the business, fans, industry still cared more about Axl and what he had yet to offer. I think in 2012 that has ironically changed very much in Slash's favour. He's the absolute darling of all the rock mags over here in the UK: he's on the front of this month's Kerrang with his award, in the middle of the kids; the festivals are giving him top, or near to the top billing....Axl's reputation, meanwhile, is largley in the gutter, save for some warmer show reviews than he's been used to since 2001.

You've got all the answers

You know everthing

Why nobody asked you

Is a mystery to me

'Why nobody asked you' can not be a generalised statement to a vague group or more than one object, it has to be towards a specific person or group, so I take the whole stanza as specific. I imagine that given he's just complained of someone talking too much, he's talking about the same person claiming to have all the answers, but he wants to know why nobody has asked them the most obvious question: again, back to Axl's number One Problem: why has it not occurred to anyone to ask Slash and Duff why they haven't sued Axl for every penny if he forced them to an the rights to the name to him under extreme duress i.e. potential of a riot if he doesn't play. He made very clear in the chats that it baffled him that this had not once occured to anyone or been mentioned in all the press trashing him. It fits perfecty in the context of the song.

I'm sorry for you

Not sorry for me

You don't know who in the hell to

Or not to believe

I'm sorry for you

Not sorry for me

You don't know who you can trust now

Or you should believe

You should believe

I've established that I think that the verses so far are very specifically directed towards Slash, with some sentiments that can be applied to the other ex-members. The chorus, however, obviously can't be addressed to Slash: he's never indicated that he cares about Slash not being able to trust anyone. I think it's clearly directed towards anyone who loved anything to do with the old band and Slash. He's saying 'I'm sorry for you that you can't have this thing you love i.e. Slash and I together, but i'm not sorry for me because i'm better and happier with him gone. I'm sorry that you've been used, lied to and manipulated to the point where you don't know what's true or who out of the two of us is telling the truth. I'm sorry you don't know whether to trust him or me.' It's as plain as day.

Then comes that weeping, crying, almost self-pitying Bucket solo. That is the musical representation of Axl's 'hot, burning tears of anger' he cried over Slash's leaving and betrayal of him and slandering in the press. It's not a TIL or Twat or SoD solo weeping and raging over unrequited love or romantic betrayal: it's a man weeping over his betrayal by his once closest ally.

You close your eyes

All well an' good

I'll kick you ass

Like I said that I would

Bit vague. Maybe it's referencing a private remark he made to Slash that lets him know he's talking to him. When he says 'You close your eyes' I read it as his disgust at Slash contentedly enjoying his handiwork without a trace of guilt or remorse.

You tell them stories they'd rather believe

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

See all the above. Who else has he accused of telling lies about him who he hasn't forgiven? Tell me that isn't about Slash, him and us.

The truth is the truth hurts

Don't you agree?

It's harder to live

With the truth about you

Than to live with

The lies about me

Again, the only way I can read that is that it's directed at an individual. In what possible context, not just that we know of but any you can think of, can that be directed at more than one or two people? If that isn't Axl talking to Slash then........look, it's Axl talking to Slash. End of. Just, end of. I also think they're some of the most beautiful and beautifully sung lyrics he's ever written, regardless of your opinion of him vs Slash.

Nobody owes you

Not one goddamn thing

You know where to put your

'Just shut up and sing'

First of all, we know, from multiple sources including band members, that both Slash and Duff told Axl to 'just shut up and sing' on at least one occasion each during studio sessions. He ain't joking when he says 'Cause I don't forget' lol. From just the info we do have we know that Slash has sued Axl a bunch over royalties, merchandise, the name, the logo and went out of his way to try and stop the new band playing in 2001. 'Nobody owes you/Not one goddam thing': nevermind the concrete evidence in the next lines, who else could this be about?!

You chose to hurt those that love you

And won't set them free

Axl loved Slash, he said so very plainly. Slash had promised he would never leave the band and when he did Axl seemingly took it harder than anything bar Seymour. Now Slash wont set him free because whilst he talks about playing a 'supportive' role to the media, he has told everyone and anyone in the business what a cunt Axl is and done everything he can legally to make things as difficult as possible for Axl to succeed with the new band.

You don't need

Anyone else to be

Sorry for you

You've got no heart

You can't see

All that you've done for me

I know the reasons

You tear me apart

This last part isn't so clear to me but what is clear is that 'You've got no heart', yet again, has to be directed to an individual, not a vague group and not a different person or group than the rest of the song. Who has torn Axl apart? Duff? Personnel at the label? His bin man? Renato? Madison? Or Slash?

Finally, going back to Axl's irritated and repeated assertions that the song is 'not about someone I used to know', not about 'the fans' as a whole and is drawn from different things and can mean different things on different days. Axl, I don't believe you.

Why aren't the quote marks working? If a mod could fix that or tell me how so it's easier for people to read i'd be grateful.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

I guess that line points to someone who likes to tell stories.

Who are the numb and naive Axl speaks of ?

If it is Slash, then Axl views fans as numb and naive

-

If it is about Slash. Sorry Axl, but I do believe Slash more than you. In Axl's eye's that would make me numb and naive.

My view is, without Slash the world wouln't know about Axl Roses,

and Mr Rose might possibly have ended up pump gas at a station, assuming he would handle the 9-5 :D

-

If Axl says its not about Slash, then maybe he could spill the beans as to what the song is about, rather than who its not about.

Edited by vaida

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

If it is Slash, then Axl views fans as numb and naive.

-

If it is about Slash. Sorry Axl, but I do believe Slash more than you. In Axl's eye's that would make me numb and naive.

and Mr Rose might possibly have ended up pump gas at a station, assuming he would handle the 9-5 :D

By 'stories' he clearly means 'lies'. And I don't think 'numb and naive' has to just be 'the fans', Axl stated that 'the fans' as a single concept or entity doesn't work or mean anything to him. I think the 'numb and naive' people are in the song could be anyone at all who has taken any interest or side and that doesn't have to mean 'fans'. The 'fans' are arguably naive to Axl but as for numb? I'd suggest people in the business are more likely to be numbed and bored by the whole thing. Numb means an absence of feeling. I certainly can imagine the label and people whop have to write articles for magazines who don't like or care about GN'R being numb about 15 years of drama.

You've obviously put a lot of thought into this and it does make perfect sense. The more he says it isn't about Slash the more you tend to think it is, he protests too much.

The numb and naive I take it would be the fans as they listened to Slash rather than Axl. I don't know how Slash works but is he easier to understand than Axl? I mean in his answers, Axl tends to answer questions that leave you more baffled than before the question was asked :D

I wondered if the "just shut up and sing" was in reference to his stage rants as when watching them you can hear them trying to start up guitars and at one point someone calls out to him. They must have gotten tired of these long tirades inbetween songs, presuming he ranted more than once a show, standing around waiting to play while he raved on to an audience who made a lot of noise and really just wanted to listen to the music. When waiting such a long time for a band to come on it would get pretty tiring listening to a lecture instead of music.

Good post, next can you sort out Nostradamas? We'd all like to know what he has predicted for the future :lol:

• Like 1

I think it could be a composite featuring Slash but it seems like a message for all the non-believers.

Axl phrases things weirdly. Not someone I used to know. Did he know Slash. What if he had to deny his name?

But is basically the ultimate Axl Rose song. Or what it came to be about in the build to CD.

Edited by wasted

Yeah, I can deal with 'composite' but not the denial that it's about him at all and vague evasions. It reads as if it's to him and us so it's either pretty much all him and us or not at all. And I don't see how it's about something or someone we don't know about.

Another thought: it's also the only song, bar Chinese, to have had set slot at every single show since 2009, to my knowledge. Obviously he plays some songs and omits others based on them being easy or difficult to sing (Sorry and TIL he can breeze through with weak falsetto if he wants whereas Twat, Cather and Prostitute are a nightmare) but the consistent placing of 'Sorry' tells us something. After getting everyone's full attention with a trio of 100% surefire crowd pleasers he hits them every time with 'Sorry' and makes sure they hear every word loud and clear. Why, if he doesn't want people to hear it and pay attention? Why is it not moved around the set or dropped some nights like the other new songs? And why would he want to communicate the message of the song so vehemently to the fans if it wasn't something very important to them and him?

God, I do bang on a bit, don't I? I do apologise. Got a few days off work and can't keep off here.

I think you have WAY overthought this. Guns N Roses songs do not generally have any specific meaning, they are songs based on a certain feeling or emotion. This is normally expressed by the music that the song is attached to. Axl has always been very talented at writing lyrics that match the songs general musical composition. In this case, the words fit the music excellently.

I believe the reality is, Axl thinks about Slash a lot less than you think. I certainly don't believe that Axl would be that full of emotion, he would sit down and write a song about Slash. It makes him seem like some kind of possessed freak.

Say if you believe him then it could be about the media and Internet haters.

And its kind of like the theme of CD. There's an oppressive force working against Axl and he's fighting back. But in the end he pulls through to deny their is reason for their hate in Shacklers and almost feel Sorry for them in a condescending way. The whole album is very righteous.

So it is kind of the most victorious song on CD. Axl is back to himself after recovering from his troubles. He's not going to cave. he's not angry about the injustices he's feels sorry for the aggressors.

But you could almost see Axl writing the album about fighting dictators around the world. So many people, if not everyone is fighting for freedom. Axl is circling the globe and must feel this.

They are personal songs that become universal.

It's not about Slash but it could be for Slash?

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

If it is Slash, then Axl views fans as numb and naive

-

-

If Axl says its not about Slash, then maybe he could spill the beans as to what the song is about, rather than who its not about.

You seriously think Axl wold have "ended up pump (sic) gas at a station", if it wasn't for Slash? I guess his voice; amazing lyrics and stage performances were all put together by Slash... you're such an obvious cupcake, try harder, you're embarrassing yourself.

Edited by axl8302

I certainly don't believe that Axl would be that full of emotion, he would sit down and write a song about Slash. It makes him seem like some kind of possessed freak.

That makes no sense to me. He wrote a song about Lennon, Chapman and Catcher In The Rye which has little bearing on him personally yet he can't have written a song about his most important professional relationship?

It also sounds like you haven't read the extensive recent interviews and follow-up posts with Marc Canter which make it abundantly clear that Axl has spent and still spends a LOT of time preoccupied with Slash.

Guns N Roses songs do not generally have any specific meaning, they are songs based on a certain feeling or emotion.This is normally expressed by the music that the song is attached to. Axl has always been very talented at writing lyrics that match the songs general musical composition. In this case, the words fit the music excellently.

With respect, what are you talking about?!

Brownstone is very specifically about kicking smack.

Don't Damn Me is about media criticism of Axl.

Civil War is about being anti-war

Catcher is about Lennon, Catcher and Chapman. Axl wrote an epic post about it. It isn't lacking specific meaning and just based on a feeling or emotion at all with lyrics just made to fit the music. One song you could describe that way would be 'If The World' with lyrics written to fit kind of a Black Bond spoof song. But there are far more songs in the catalogue that have pretty specific meanings than ones that don't and I ain't gonna list 'em all!

But in the end he pulls through to deny their is reason for their hate in Shacklers and almost feel Sorry for them in a condescending way.

They are personal songs that become universal.

Shacklers isn't personal, it came out of some school shooting. I think he talked about it in the chats or certainly elsewhere if not.

As I banged on about at length, 'Sorry' is not a personal song that can become universal because the allegations and statements are waaay too specific. Madagascar can become universal. Anyone can sing and relate to the main lyrics. You could apply it to a romantic relationship, even. But if the masses are gonna take up Sorry and universally relate it to their own lives like they do Sweet Child or November then they'd better be pretty bitter and angry at someone who fucked them over big time.

Do you have anyone to whom you could say 'It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me/Nobody owes you/Not one goddamn thing/You know where to put your/Just shut up and sing'? Has anyone ever told you to shut up and sing?

How can you compare it to actual universal songs like This I Love which anyone can relate to because it's about unrequited love?

Edited by Jordan Rose

I think you have WAY overthought this.

And on that, go and read Axl's posts about Shackler's and Catcher and see the staggering extent to which he (over)thinks his songs and then tell me why he (or we) should give any less thought to Sorry.

And isn't it strange how Axl stuck his hand up and volunteered to talk at length about Catcher and Shacklers, the two least-personal songs on the album, didn't mind us asking which girls the ballads are about but got really defensive about Sorry?

• Like 1

I agree with most of your thoughts. Sorry is definitely at least partly about Slash and/or directed at him. The only parts I'd interpret differently are these:

You talk too much

You say I do

The differnce is nobody cares about you

You know everthing

Why nobody asked you

Is a mystery to me

These are about all the little 'unimportant' people one the internet (and possibly also the media/journalist) speculating (like we're doing now :lol: ) and thinking they know everything imo.

The chorus could be directed at the same group of people as well.

On a side note, it amuses me how much Axl and Slash love writing bitter songs about each other. It's not just 'Crucify the dead'. Slash admitted in his book (and it's also been confirmed by other people) that his entire first solo album is more or less all about Axl. I've always wondered if the lyrics of some of the songs on there were specifically about Axl, and I was pleased to learn that I was right :P

I think you have WAY overthought this. Guns N Roses songs do not generally have any specific meaning, they are songs based on a certain feeling or emotion. This is normally expressed by the music that the song is attached to. Axl has always been very talented at writing lyrics that match the songs general musical composition. In this case, the words fit the music excellently.

"With your bitch slap rapping and your cocaine tongue"......."you've gone sketchin too many times"......

And isn't it strange how Axl stuck his hand up and volunteered to talk at length about Catcher and Shacklers, the two least-personal songs on the album, didn't mind us asking which girls the ballads are about but got really defensive about Sorry?

Maybe if it gets too specific it won't really or won't have the chance to connect with people. It's not his goal to just say Slash sucks. It could be for anyone whos against him using the name or doing what he wants. So after ripping through a few AFD classics they do it live just to say fuck you.

Appeared to be more general to me, a "royal" you so to speak.

"I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me" suggests a sadness on his part towards what has happened or been perceived to have happened - as to whom this applies, is certainly debatable.

Man, I used to assume it was about Slash, then I realized the whole song fits Adler to a tee.

He was probably vague about it in the chats because he doesn't want to get some stupid Adler driven lawsuit in his mailbox.

For Slash, see "Prostitute".

I agree with most of your thoughts. Sorry is definitely at least partly about Slash and/or directed at him. The only parts I'd interpret differently are these:

You talk too much

You say I do

The differnce is nobody cares about you

You know everthing

Why nobody asked you

Is a mystery to me

These are about all the little 'unimportant' people one the internet (and possibly also the media/journalist) speculating (like we're doing now :lol: ) and thinking they know everything imo.

The chorus could be directed at the same group of people as well.

How does that work? Since when do we, or anyone for that matter, say that Axl talks too much. We say the opposite.

Second stanza, same question: Why nobody asked us what? Doesn't fit.

"I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me" suggests a sadness on his part towards what has happened or been perceived to have happened - as to whom this applies, is certainly debatable.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you but isn't the very point that he isn't sad about the same thing as the person/people he's addressing?! That's part of the point: the title is ironic: he isn't sorry about or for anything for himself, he is sorry for others.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you but isn't the very point that he isn't sad about the same thing as the person/people he's addressing?! That's part of the point: the title is ironic: he isn't sorry about or for anything for himself, he is sorry for others.

Yes, sorry if it was unclear- he is sad for others other than himself, but I was positing what that sadness was for, whether that was for what had happened between them, or something else. It was more speculating as to whom the sadness is towards.

Man, I used to assume it was about Slash, then I realized the whole song fits Adler to a tee.

He was probably vague about it in the chats because he doesn't want to get some stupid Adler driven lawsuit in his mailbox.

For Slash, see "Prostitute".

You gotta be kidding? There's some stuff in Prostitute relating to fame but surely it's directed to a woman? Affections, love, up to no good. How do you shoehorn Slash into that.

As for Adler, i'll quote Bluenoze from earlier replacing the name Slash with Adler: "I certainly don't believe that Axl would be that full of emotion, he would sit down and write a song about Adler. It makes him seem like some kind of possessed freak."

Quote me some lines and explain how they fit Adler? Where's the reference to him shooting up Axl's missus? Where's the references to drugs, firing him...anything?! When has Al even mentioned Adler except briefly in the chats? When has Adler been credited with telling Axl to shut up and sing?

I'm going to say it touches on Slash (maybe he meant "sold your Saul"?), an prob. ties into Weiland's rant,but to me, it's prob. more along the lines of record company guys or management. I don't think Azoff was even in the picture when he wrote this, but it wouldn't surprise me if he thought about that falling out when he's performed it.