The Meaning of 'Sorry'

Jordan Rose

I think you have WAY overthought this. Guns N Roses songs do not generally have any specific meaning, they are songs based on a certain feeling or emotion. This is normally expressed by the music that the song is attached to. Axl has always been very talented at writing lyrics that match the songs general musical composition. In this case, the words fit the music excellently.

I believe the reality is, Axl thinks about Slash a lot less than you think. I certainly don't believe that Axl would be that full of emotion, he would sit down and write a song about Slash. It makes him seem like some kind of possessed freak.

You bet its about Slash.

Axl is waaaaaaaay more obscessive and hateful than slash is and slash has written many songs about Axl.. Why do you think Axl wouldn't have?

'Sorry' is clearly about Slash, a story about how he's become a media puppet selling himself out. Slash is worthy of compassion these days releasing dud after dud and Axl sort of acknowledges this in the song. I personally feel Axl should have gone further and not hold back on the song as much as he did, he should have also called Slash out for hanging on his coatails for so many years.

Edited by chokes

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

This is the worst lyrics Axl ever wrote.

This I Love was worse lyrically.

Musically this song is far worse though, which is quite remarkable considering how terrible This I Love is all around.

Better luck next time.

:lol:

I love how positive you are about all of it.

I wont lie, I don't mind This I Love. I think the vocals on it are terrible and the whole self pitying theme on the album and especially that song is rather cringe-worthy, but I do think that this song could have been great if done a bit different.

'Sorry' is clearly about Slash, a story about how he's become a media puppet selling himself out. Slash is worthy of compassion these days releasing dud after dud and Axl sort of acknowledges this in the song. I personally feel Axl should have gone further and not hold back on the song as much as he did, he should have also called Slash out for hanging on his coatails for so many years.

Ya but you see that would make him look retarded as outside this fantasy land forum everyone considers Axl to be hanging out coat-tails from the past. He calls his solo act Guns N Roses and plays largely songs from the old band releasing one new album since the real band broke up.

Slash from Guns N Roses and Velvet Revolver currently touring and releasing music with his solo act

Axl from Guns N Roses

Guns N Roses ended over 15 years ago, who's resume looks more like they're hanging on coat tails from the past?

Ok first of all, "sorry" is the only track from Chinese Democracy I've listened to (obsessed even!) non stop since November 2008 -- LOVE this song, love the album, version, love the live version.

Whilst Axl has eluded to the fact it's 'not about former friends' it's difficult to think it's about anything other than Slash/former band members. Honestly? I couldn't care a less, what is clear to me is it just sits perfectly for GNR and Axl's writing and signing skills - First class!B)

Wake up you cannot breath in Axl 's ass! Dud after dud? At least he can do something besides fall down! Coatails? Slash would be in one hellva shape if that was what he was doing because Axl does not do a damn thing.

It's about Slash. Clearly. Undeniable. Axl lied. -_-

Yes he did!

maybe he's sorry he broke up the AFD lineup?

Funny. More likely he's sorry he ever hooked up with them in the 1st place.

Yea, I bet he regrets it every time he spends his money.

Well- good point. Maybe he wishes he made AFD with people other than them. *He likes Izzy, has made peace with Duff & hates Slash/Steven. So we'll say regrets meeting Slash n Steven.

Yea, I bet he regrets it every time he spends his money.

Well- good point. Maybe he wishes he made AFD with people other than them. *He likes Izzy, has made peace with Duff & hates Slash/Steven. So we'll say regrets meeting Slash n Steven.

yeah, too bad hist 1st guitarist and drummer also quit on him (imagine that) - oh, the irony

thats why half his live set is music from that era :thumbsup:

and he plays at most 4 songs of democracy :sleeper:

Just did some fact checking for you and at the most recent show they played, they played 7 from Appetite, 7 from CD and a few from illusions and lies.

7 is more than 4. If you had payed attention in pre-school, you might have known that.

Just did some fact checking for you and at the most recent show they played, they played 7 from Appetite, 7 from CD and a few from illusions and lies.

7 is more than 4. If you had payed attention in pre-school, you might have known that.

You sound like one up tight poster :xmassrudolph:

You sound like one up tight poster :xmassrudolph:

Do I? I honestly wrote that with a smile on my face. I don't think my sense of humor translates well sometimes.

GnR became one of the most successful rock bands from our generation because of the contributions of Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. And Matt and Gilby helped that train keep rolling a few more years.

All the people saying Axl would be nothing without Slash......or that Slash was overrated and anybody could have taken his spot..........you are all delusional and ridiculous.

I don't even like Slash that much. But without him, Appetite, Lies and Illusions all sound different. A different band member brings a different vibe and personality to the writing and recording sessions. Two guys can play the instrument EXACTLY the same. Their skill level is exactly the same. But different personalities can change the sound of an entire album.

Even the negativity of firing Adler or Izzy quiting or Axl being late all the time......all those things fed into the overal "feeling" of the band. The anger, the angst, the frustration - all those emotions played into the writing and recording of songs. Take away ANY of those elements, and all the songs sound a little bit different. Maybe 1% or maybe 20% or maybe a song just doesn't work anymore.

The reason that Appetite, Lies and Illusions were so amazing is because of all the guys involved in recording them.

Doesn't mean you have to like or worship any of them. Doesn't mean you can't have your favorites. But to downplay the importance of any of the players just makes you look like a fool.

Slash, Duff, Izzy, Adler/Matt and Axl created the songs that keep GnR viable today. Deal with it.

That band has split up. And all the players have moved on with their lives and careers. Maybe you should as well.

Axl has put together a new band that is tearing it up live. A portion of this band put out an album that did pretty well (I personally love it). Hopefully this group will put out a few new albums, so they can stand on their own feet as a band and not just keep making a living off of songs that a completely different band created. Until Axl puts out a couple albums with his current guys, a LOT of fans will not give him a break for keeping the GnR name alive. And that is completely understandable.

And it really is as simple as Axl releasing new music more than once every 20 years. Albums will quiet the "haters" that can't get past him keeping the GnR name.

So in summary: all the sensible people agree that the verses are to Slash and maybe the other ex-members and the chorus is to anyone else who cares.

Other people think it's about other things but can't provide a half decent argument or even quote a line and explain why.

That's MYGNR 1 - 0 W.Axl Rose

Btw he was gonna play Twat, Prostitute and Locomotive in the encore the other night then he came on here and read this shit and went "Fuuuuck yooouuu, Axl Rose!" to himself in that goofy voice.