Buckethead and Robin are history, get over it and move on.

Towelie

you could at the very least argue that despite playing the old band's material, they put a fresh spin on many of the songs (like buckethead's nightrain solos), and that gave them a sort of legitimacy that i can understand some people thinking the current band doesn't have as much, since they're more-so playing the old stuff note-for-note now.

No, not accurate. The songs are at least as different now apart from Ashba's soloing. Some go even further...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if by "time to shine," you mean time to spend several years re-recording other musicians' stellar performances of mediocre songs, touring smaller and smaller venues, performing mostly covers, then moving on to another band after several years of disappointments and inactivity... then yes, sir... now is their time to shine.

round... 3? or is it 4? i lost track of all the ass axl's been kicking.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

It's getting tiresome reading all the fawning over BH and Finck on here lately (besides, isn't that what the Former Gunners section is for?).

Agree. If we have to talk about ex-members, at least we should talk about the ones who actually recorded the awesome music the band is most known for. Robin and Bucket are nothing more than a footnote in the GNR legacy. We've already heard what they can do, and it was utterly disappointing imo.

utter footnote? i don't think so. for the record, we haven't heard all bucket and robin can do on guns n roses albums

Guest Broskirose

It's getting tiresome reading all the fawning over BH and Finck on here lately (besides, isn't that what the Former Gunners section is for?).

Agree. If we have to talk about ex-members, at least we should talk about the ones who actually recorded the awesome music the band is most known for. Robin and Bucket are nothing more than a footnote in the GNR legacy. We've already heard what they can do, and it was utterly disappointing imo.

utter footnote? i don't think so. for the record, we haven't heard all bucket and robin can do on guns n roses albums

And the stuff we did hear was mostly tainted by Axl.

And lol, so if Buckethead's albums don't impress you that means that he is missing out by not being in Guns? Your opinion dictates other's emotions?

What I meant I'm not impressed by his gazillion albums. His work in GNR was great but obviously the whole scene was not his thing.

I like maybe 5-6 songs off 36 albums...that's not that impressive.

Guest Broskirose

And lol, so if Buckethead's albums don't impress you that means that he is missing out by not being in Guns? Your opinion dictates other's emotions?

What I meant I'm not impressed by his gazillion albums. His work in GNR was great but obviously the whole scene was not his thing.

I seriously and I mean seriously, doubt you've even heard all 36 albums. I know I haven't.

And even if you had, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't impressive. He has a following for a reason.

Have you listened to all 36?

Yup. Footnote. And an utter one at that.

And for the record, I've heard enough material of thiers to know I don't like it. There's always been debate on whether these songs were actually the "big guns" or not. Quite frankly I don't see why he would release his first album in over a decade and put his weakest songs on them. But he did, and then had Bumblefoot rape them. I don't care about new music from those guys, nothing they did makes me want to hear more.

And for the record, I've heard enough material of thiers to know I don't like it. There's always been debate on whether these songs were actually the "big guns" or not. Quite frankly I don't see why he would release his first album in over a decade and put his weakest songs on them. But he did, and then had Bumblefoot rape them. I don't care about new music from those guys, nothing they did makes me want to hear more.

well. many disagree with you. and axl said songs robin's TIL and buckethead's Prostitute are the BIG GUNS on the record. axl's right. they're BIG guns. even though bumblefoot disrespected brian may and raped catcher.....there's still lots of songs recorded that don't have ron thal on them. these make up the next record. axl's vision for chinese 2 and 3. an EPIC vision. a vision i hope 2 start in 2012

well. many disagree with you. and axl said songs robin's TIL and buckethead's Prostitute are the BIG GUNS on the record. axl's right. they're BIG guns. even though bumblefoot disrespected brian may and raped catcher.....there's still lots of songs recorded that don't have ron thal on them. these make up the next record. axl's vision for chinese 2 and 3. an EPIC vision. a vision i hope 2 start in 2012

Ok man. Keep hope alive.

Guest Gunns

Agreed, and I have no doubt the best music is still 'yet to come', ala Chris Pitman

Agreed, and I have no doubt the best music is still 'yet to come', ala Chris Pitman

agreed

Right on the fucking money patience. I don't have a whole lotta faith in what the current nu band can based on what I've heard from their other projects, specifically dj and bumble, but at least it'd be something different.

I didn't hate cd, but there's more duds than gems on there for me. I'm not really creaming my pants for more of the same vain. And I'm guessing most of the general public wants either something different from cd, or of course, obviously, a reunion. But def.not more cdesque stuff from what I've gathered.

Right on the fucking money patience. I don't have a whole lotta faith in what the current nu band can based on what I've heard from their other projects, specifically dj and bumble, but at least it'd be something different.

I didn't hate cd, but there's more duds than gems on there for me. I'm not really creaming my pants for more of the same vain. And I'm guessing most of the general public wants either something different from cd, or of course, obviously, a reunion. But def.not more cdesque stuff from what I've gathered.

more gems than duds on cd. imo

Guest Gunns

Agreed !

Only thing I've ever agreed with you on.

Agreed !

I agree also. We are still a vast minority in the grand scheme of things though. If the record company thought that a new album from that lineup was viable, we would have had it by now.

Guest Gunns

Agreed !

I agree also. We are still a vast minority in the grand scheme of things though. If the record company thought that a new album from that lineup was viable, we would have had it by now.

Not necessarily, after the way the record company handled the release of cd (booklet errors), not delivering on the marketing side of things, I believe Axl is making sure all his ducks are lined up so to speak, before giving the go ahead.

Guest Broskirose
Robin and Bucket are GNR

Robin and Bucket are NuGNR

fixed for ya

I don't know nor care what NuGNR is.

I'm sure Axl care what is NuGNR...

Anyway NuGNR= 1997 to present incarnation

incarnation of what?

Agreed !

Not necessarily, after the way the record company handled the release of cd (booklet errors), not delivering on the marketing side of things, I believe Axl is making sure all his ducks are lined up so to speak, before giving the go ahead.

There must be a shitload of ducks if it takes 4 years to release an album of mostly completed material.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BH's tenure in the band and along with Robin's capes and mohawk, the whole 2002 image was certainly unique and exciting. But some folks around here need to accept the reality that these guys aren't in the band anymore. You'll likely never see Robin play the TIL solo live, nor will Buckethead be making an impromptu appearance to bust out TWAT anytime soon.

More importantly, fans hoping that the next album will be chock full of BH/Finck outtakes are setting themselves up for a disappointment. For starters, Axl was mindful even back in 2008 of representing the newer NuGuns line-up on Chinese Democracy, so he's hardly going to prioritise former members who haven't even been in the band in almost 6-8 years over the likes of Ron and DJ. At best, I reckon you might get 2-3 BH/Finck/Brain era tracks but these will almost certainly be re-recorded with parts from the current band. Don't act butthurt and blame Axl if he ends up replacing Finck's solos, after all, Robin was the one who buggered off to re-join NIN. Same deal with Buckethead.

Ron, DJ and Richard deserve their moment to shine now. Anybody who's seen a GNR show in the last 2-3 years will have witnessed Richard's awesome Bond theme which was one of the highlights of the last tour. Ron is simply a world class musician who is undoubtedly the most versatile and technically gifted guitarist GNR have ever had (including Buckethead, there, I said it!). He is also a cult artist in his own right with his own brilliant body of work.

The main difference between the current line-up compared to the 2002 band is that Ron, DJ, Fortus and co have had time to gel as a real band. It has been widely reported that the BH/Finck era band recorded all their parts seperately in the studio and never even played together as a band until they were touring. The current line-up have been on the road for years, they know eachother individually as well as musicians. Frank's played on Ron's solo work, Richards jammed at Dizzy's live shows, these guys are a real band who have genuine respect for eachother and love playing together. On the contary, did you ever get the impression Bucket enjoyed being in Guns or that Finck particularly wanted to share the stage with him?

well said, though I can't say i agree with you on all your points but still, well said

Guest Gunns

Agreed !

There must be a shitload of ducks if it takes 4 years to release an album of mostly completed material.

Dont worry my friend, I have faith in..

"TEAM BRASIL"

Edited by Gunns