John 5 a better fit for GNR than Bumble

Frozen Inferno

That is perhaps the problem? They play so much different and diverse music that it is hard for fans to relate to them as having their own unique style with signature licks that goes through their music as a red, recognisable and beloved thread. It is well and good to be able to play literally anything, but when you are literally playing everything, it is hard to come across as having your own recognisable style.

Could be a problem to some, not to others. They hardly have signature licks, they avoid clichés because they know them all. Govan even says that it's important to know the clichés exactly to avoid them. I love it because you won't hear them and say "hey, I've heard that before...!" unless they're playing other people's songs. They have their own playing style, but they don't simply strict their playing to rock, or blues. There's a reason why I knew and insisted that he played the Shackler's solo and I had no doubt - because I know his style. Yes, it's harder to recognize because he's not an one dimensional guitar player, but we get used to it, just like most here got used to Slash or Izzy.

We may scorn of Slash's limited capabilities, but at least he managed to create an awareness around his style, he managed to perfect his music within his limited scope, and he managed to create memorable, everlasting music.

So did Ron and Guthrie. But their audience isn't mainstream nor will ever be, so don't expect their songs to be played on the radio, but expect some of your favorite musicians (and some of the very best) to listen to them and get some kind of inspiration.

If every solo you write is supposed to be technically impressing, or very distinct from the last one you made, or full of flashy gimmicks, it is really hard to sell yourself as a strong, identifiable rock and roll guitar player. It is not about cramming as many notes into the solos as possible, or using the most advanced signatures and picking styles, but playing within a box and making something memorable and enjoyable within that box which fans can relate to and accepts as being "Guns N' Roses".

Who defines what's Guns N' Roses? I guess Axl Rose does. He brought Bucket, Robin and Ron on board, so I don't think his vision is limited to bluesy and classic hard rock-ish playing. Many claim that Bucket and Ron are souless shredders, but just because they're ignorant and they don't know their work because they are not, and that's not an opinion even though many would think otherwise. They have strong following, they created some of the best and most acclaimed prog/virtuoso/instrumental albums and are/were praised by some of the greatest players and that's why they're in Guns. They don't have to limit their playing to get recognizition from closed minded GNR fans, they're who they are, like it or not. Happily Axl Rose brought them to Guns and had an eye for some of the best - Satch, Zakk, Ron, Bucket, etc. Will old bitter fans accept them? Hardly. Do you think they care? Hardly. They're there to play music for those that want to hear, those who matter, not to ex fans complaining on a message board that Axl didn't show up at the HOF induction. They're there to create and perform great, amazing music, and if Axl doesn't hold them back, that's exactly what they'll do (I'm talking about all of the GNR guitar players...).

So yes, I do think Govan and Ron would be the ultimate lead duo and I can support my claim simply because Axl never wanted to limit Guns to Hard Rock. That's why the Illusions were different, that's why Chinese was even more different, and that's why Axl wanted Bucket, Ron, Zakk, etc. I'm glad Axl agrees with me because if GNR turned into an 80's Hair Metal act I'd stop following them. And he doesn't want to be a limited artist, he was never a limited artist.

There is a reason why guys like Bumblefoot and Gowan has such a small following and why it mostly consist of music and guitar nerds who are blended by the pure brilliance of their skills: it is because what they do just isn't memorable to most people.

You couldn't be more wrong. They aren't mainstream guitarists, they don't write pop/mainstream music, they don't care about performing or creating mainstream music so their songs will be played on the radio. They don't create albums the way record labels want them to create. Their following isn't big because, you know, some true musicians aren't interested in being the most known and acclaimed guitarists, but are genuine artists.

I'll say something and I hope you never forget it - they are not about cramming as many notes into the solos as possible, or using the most advanced signatures and picking styles and every solo they write isn't supposed to be technically impressing, or very distinct from the last one they made, or full of flashy gimmicks. They have the most awesome technique you could ever imagine and, mind you, if they managed to put all their technique into every solo nobody would listen to them because they'd be full of extremely fast and almost technically impossible passages. They have the flawless technique so they can translate into notes and sounds what's inside of their head. Yes, they have a very disturbed mind (take this as a compliment, btw) and that's why you hear so many different and strange sounds in their music, haha... but they're true musicians, not technicians. Most of their music ins't shred at all, btw. They composed amazing songs and yes, they have very technical moments but just because that's how they had the songs in their head.

Do you remember a Slash interview some years ago when he mentioned that he didn't have enough technique to perform the Nightrain solo? Yes, this is the barrier that Govan and Ron never had.

People are less interested in techniques than in music. And that is why John 5 captivates so many with a simple cover of Axl's WTTJ lyrics, not because he is able to do it so well, because many guys could do that, and certainly Bumblefoot and Gowan, but because he chooses to do it. He chooses to play something that is cool rather than push the envelope to the point where it is lost on the majority of fans. It says a lot about his musical preferences.

So he chooses to play an instrumental cover of a song and that's why he's interesting? I think it's cool and all, but he could bring something much better and more interesting to the table instead of playing what Axl's singing. That says a lot about him, no doubt. He played it safe and no, I wouldn't want these kind of players in Guns. For that we also have Ashba already.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who defines what's Guns N' Roses?

Each and everyone defines for himself what he believes Guns N' Roses should sound like. And I am pretty certain that for most of us it isn't some avant garde jazz technique guitar noodling. Guns N' Roses is firmly planted in the blues rock tradition, and if the band deviates too far from that it will probably lose most of its fans. Bringing in guitarists that just can't make a name for themselves in that specific tradition, either because they only play with their minds and fingers and not balls and soul, or because they just can lower themselves to play simple rock, will bring GN'R too far away from the genre where most fans want the band to stay.

Many claim that Bucket and Ron are souless shredders, but just because they're ignorant and they don't know their work because they are not, and that's not an opinion even though many would think otherwise.

I think 'Soothsayer' proves that Bucket's got what it takes. I haven't heard anything from Bumblefoot even remotely approaching that song or some of Slash's finer moments. In my, and most people's opinion, he just doesn't write memorable licks and solos. It is what it is.

So yes, I do think Govan and Ron would be the ultimate lead duo and I can support my claim simply because Axl never wanted to limit Guns to Hard Rock.

There is an endless ocean between "not limiting Guns to Hard Rock" and "creating an avant garde jazz noodling guitar freak show".

There is a reason why guys like Bumblefoot and Gowan has such a small following and why it mostly consist of music and guitar nerds who are blended by the pure brilliance of their skills: it is because what they do just isn't memorable to most people.

You couldn't be more wrong. They aren't mainstream guitarists, they don't write pop/mainstream music, they don't care about performing or creating mainstream music so their songs will be played on the radio. They don't create albums the way record labels want them to create. Their following isn't big because, you know, some true musicians aren't interested in being the most known and acclaimed guitarists, but are genuine artists.

And that is why they just aren't memorable to most people and hence why they have such small followings.

I'll say something and I hope you never forget it - they are not about cramming as many notes into the solos as possible, or using the most advanced signatures and picking styles and every solo they write isn't supposed to be technically impressing, or very distinct from the last one they made, or full of flashy gimmicks. They have the most awesome technique you could ever imagine and, mind you, if they managed to put all their technique into every solo nobody would listen to them because they'd be full of extremely fast and almost technically impossible passages. They have the flawless technique so they can translate into notes and sounds what's inside of their head. Yes, they have a very disturbed mind (take this as a compliment, btw) and that's why you hear so many different and strange sounds in their music, haha... but they're true musicians, not technicians. Most of their music ins't shred at all, btw. They composed amazing songs and yes, they have very technical moments but just because that's how they had the songs in their head.

Whatever they have in their heads just doesn't compute with what most fans consider Guns N' Roses to be. Bumblefoot is a nerd. He approaches guitar playing like a mathematician would. There's nothing ROCK in him. He's like those American Idol artists who are excellent at mimicking others but falls flat when they have to create themselves. Bumblefoot is an excellent poseur at faking music. But when he creates rock it just isn't genuine at all. It's a nerd's attempt at mimicry.

Do you remember a Slash interview some years ago when he mentioned that he didn't have enough technique to perform the Nightrain solo? Yes, this is the barrier that Govan and Ron never had.

If they had a few more barriers they would perhaps end up with a distinct sound and style that would make them more recognizable and their music more approachable to normal music fans.

So [John 5] chooses to play an instrumental cover of a song and that's why he's interesting? I think it's cool and all, but he could bring something much better and more interesting to the table instead of playing what Axl's singing. That says a lot about him, no doubt. He played it safe and no, I wouldn't want these kind of players in Guns. For that we also have Ashba already.

I actually don't think Dj could play that lead as well as John 5 :).

But here's the thing: A musician is great not because of what he potentially CAN play, but what he actually decides to play. No one is denying that Bumblefoot is extremely talented skill-wise, but it doesn't matter when all he writes is music for a small niche of guitar nerds. It is music designed to appeal to a small part of the brain, not to the stomach and balls.

This is the kind of playing that you could have with Govan on board. And it sounds fkn beautiful. The jams would be outwordly, they'd jam from Vai and Lane to Hendrix and Page. From Kiss and Beatles to Dream Theater and Maiden.

That is perhaps the problem? They play so much different and diverse music that it is hard for fans to relate to them as having their own unique style with signature licks that goes through their music as a red, recognisable and beloved thread. It is well and good to be able to play literally anything, but when you are literally playing everything, it is hard to come across as having your own recognisable style. We may scorn of Slash's limited capabilities, but at least he managed to create an awareness around his style, he managed to perfect his music within his limited scope, and he managed to create memorable, everlasting music. If every solo you write is supposed to be technically impressing, or very distinct from the last one you made, or full of flashy gimmicks, it is really hard to sell yourself as a strong, identifiable rock and roll guitar player. It is not about cramming as many notes into the solos as possible, or using the most advanced signatures and picking styles, but playing within a box and making something memorable and enjoyable within that box which fans can relate to and accepts as being "Guns N' Roses". There is a reason why guys like Bumblefoot and Gowan has such a small following and why it mostly consist of music and guitar nerds who are blended by the pure brilliance of their skills: it is because what they do just isn't memorable to most people. People are less interested in techniques than in music. And that is why John 5 captivates so many with a simple cover of Axl's WTTJ lyrics, not because he is able to do it so well, because many guys could do that, and certainly Bumblefoot and Gowan, but because he chooses to do it. He chooses to play something that is cool rather than push the envelope to the point where it is lost on the majority of fans. It says a lot about his musical preferences.

Post of the year

Each and everyone defines for himself what he believes Guns N' Roses should sound like.

My point is still the same - Axl defines what GNR is.

And I am pretty certain that for most of us it isn't some avant garde jazz technique guitar noodling. Guns N' Roses is firmly planted in the blues rock tradition, and if the band deviates too far from that it will probably lose most of its fans. Bringing in guitarists that just can't make a name for themselves in that specific tradition, either because they only play with their minds and fingers and not balls and soul, or because they just can lower themselves to play simple rock, will bring GN'R too far away from the genre where most fans want the band to stay.

Do you think that the Illusions were planted in the blues rock tradition? No. Not even AFD. They were an evolving band, not a band that can play only one style and never venture into different styles.

I think 'Soothsayer' proves that Bucket's got what it takes. I haven't heard anything from Bumblefoot even remotely approaching that song or some of Slash's finer moments. In my, and most people's opinion, he just doesn't write memorable licks and solos. It is what it is.

But your, and most people's opinions are based on a few songs or one or two albums. Why did you say most people, though? You mean GNR following? May be. Most of his own following - people that actually know his work and are not biased - would laugh at this statement though. I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that you probably don't know his work. Even if you do, that's ok, but since you define his music as "technically impressive with a very few guitar nerds following" or something like that I think that you certainly don't know enough of his music. And seriously, to some GNR fans Bumblefoot is a crap guitarist and Buckethead can't play rock music, so I don't think they should be parameter for shit.

There is an endless ocean between "not limiting Guns to Hard Rock" and "creating an avant garde jazz noodling guitar freak show".

Nobody said that they'd write or perform "avant garge jazz noodling guitar freak show", in fact I even pointed out how they did an awesome version of Strawberry Fields Forever simply improvising everything - Govan had a fretless and played mostly the vocal melodies and Ron played the overall rhythm. There is an endless ocean between "that improv vid" and "creating an avant garde jazz noodling guitar freak show", indeed.

And that is why they just aren't memorable to most people and hence why they have such small followings.

Absolutely! And I'm glad they're like that because otherwise we wouldn't have two musician's musicians around, instead we'd have two awesome musicians playing mainstream pop songs that limit their musicianship.

Whatever they have in their heads just doesn't compute with what most fans consider Guns N' Roses to be. Bumblefoot is a nerd. He approaches guitar playing like a mathematician would. There's nothing ROCK in him. He's like those American Idol artists who are excellent at mimicking others but falls flat when they have to create themselves. Bumblefoot is an excellent poseur at faking music. But when he creates rock it just isn't genuine at all. It's a nerd's attempt at mimicry.

You don't know what you're talking about, trust me. Had you known him you'd realize that you have such a small minded view of his truely amazing musicianship. I don't think you should "understand" his mind, I just think you should educate yourself on the subject first. Here it is the first thing I google'd, I'll help you out...

It’s hard to describe Bumblefoot’s music because he is an incredibly versatile and prolific musician. He has been called the heavy-metal version of Frank Zappa. His talent and unique fusion sounds span the whole gamut from classical guitar solos to heavy metal shredding and far beyond. Oh, and did I mention that he is an awesome singer with some of the quirkiest lyrics you will hear? Therefore, it’s not surprising that Patrice Vigier, a very talented luthier who makes some of the best guitars in the industry, gave Bumblefoot a guitar after his first French tour. Bumblefoot now plays Vigier guitars exclusively. Vigier also made the highly coveted signature guitar for Bumblefoot (a foot-shaped guitar with wings that open up when he presses on the whammy bar), the special line of Excalibur Bumblefoot Signature guitars that anyone can buy from Vigier, and the sold-out limited edition of the Swiss Cheese guitar. On a Vigier Surfreter, the best electric fretless guitar out there, Bumblefoot’s playing is almost unparalleled. He is a notable figure in the unfretted community, and his music has not only promoted the use of the Vigier Surfreter but has also added a new dimension to the sound of the fretless. Let’s just say that if Joe Satriani thinks of him as a “freaky guitar player,” as he did in a BBC interview, then you know Bumblefoot is one damn freaky guitar player like no other! Needless to say, Bumblefoot is a guitarist whom other musicians respect and look up to. For Bumblefoot, music comes as naturally as his quirky sense of humor, and he stops at nothing when expressing himself. If you are tired of being normal, then go listen to some of Bumblefoot’s music and discover what you have been missing all this time. I thank Bumblefoot for sharing his humor and for taking the time from his ultra busy schedule to answer a few of my questions in this interview.

http://web.mac.com/katchoolik/katchoolik/Interviews/Entries/2006/5/14_Bumblefoot.html

If they had a few more barriers they would perhaps end up with a distinct sound and style that would make them more recognizable and their music more approachable to normal music fans.

What do you consider normal music fans? People that'll buy whatever YouTube and MTV tell them to buy? People that made Bieber and Jonas Brothers famous? No, I'd beg them to never limit themselves to that closed minded thinking. They're who they are whether mainstream music fans like or hate their work. That's why true musicians take them as inspirations, because they're awesome, the best at what they do.

I actually don't think Dj could play that lead as well as John 5 :).

Nothing special in that, Ashba could probably pull out that stuff, but I never listened to that more than once so I could be wrong.

But here's the thing: A musician is great not because of what he potentially CAN play, but what he actually decides to play. No one is denying that Bumblefoot is extremely talented skill-wise, but it doesn't matter when all he writes is music for a small niche of guitar nerds. It is music designed to appeal to a small part of the brain, not to the stomach and balls.

Thank you, but I knew all of that. That's why Ron, Govan and Lane are probably my favorite musicians. I'm not a guitar nerd at all, I'm simply a fan of their work, their musicianship. I'm not interested in music for a small niche of guitar nerds, thank you. For that you already have Batio, Della Vega, etc. But yes, thank you for showing me that I was right and you don't know enough of their work to judge them properly :)

There is a reason why John 5 went to Ron's masterclass ( true story ) and not the other way around.

Enough said.

Can you provide a source?

Back to the thread. I'm fairly certain John was given consideration in 2006 but he had just joined Rob Zombie. He also does a shit ton of recording with other artists. I don't think the schedules would have lined up. He is a damn good song writer which is why he has been recruited or collaborated with so many big name artists. He's not just some metal head for those that listen to Zombie, he has a wide array of musical talent. He would have been like Bucket but heavier. I don't think he is as good as Bucket but close. Think of like Shacklers.

What was that??

How can he not have enough technique to perform the Nightrain solo when he was the one who composed it??

*confused*

This is the kind of playing that you could have with Govan on board. And it sounds fkn beautiful. The jams would be outwordly, they'd jam from Vai and Lane to Hendrix and Page. From Kiss and Beatles to Dream Theater and Maiden.

That is perhaps the problem? They play so much different and diverse music that it is hard for fans to relate to them as having their own unique style with signature licks that goes through their music as a red, recognisable and beloved thread. It is well and good to be able to play literally anything, but when you are literally playing everything, it is hard to come across as having your own recognisable style. We may scorn of Slash's limited capabilities, but at least he managed to create an awareness around his style, he managed to perfect his music within his limited scope, and he managed to create memorable, everlasting music. If every solo you write is supposed to be technically impressing, or very distinct from the last one you made, or full of flashy gimmicks, it is really hard to sell yourself as a strong, identifiable rock and roll guitar player. It is not about cramming as many notes into the solos as possible, or using the most advanced signatures and picking styles, but playing within a box and making something memorable and enjoyable within that box which fans can relate to and accepts as being "Guns N' Roses". There is a reason why guys like Bumblefoot and Gowan has such a small following and why it mostly consist of music and guitar nerds who are blended by the pure brilliance of their skills: it is because what they do just isn't memorable to most people. People are less interested in techniques than in music. And that is why John 5 captivates so many with a simple cover of Axl's WTTJ lyrics, not because he is able to do it so well, because many guys could do that, and certainly Bumblefoot and Gowan, but because he chooses to do it. He chooses to play something that is cool rather than push the envelope to the point where it is lost on the majority of fans. It says a lot about his musical preferences.

Thank you! I usually do not like your posts but you really hit the nail on the head with this one. :thumbsup:

You really don't know what you're talking about. BBF fans are not just guitar nerds, my wife is a huge fan and she couldn't care less about guitar playing, she just loves his songs, plain and simple.

I don't know how familiar you are with Ron's back catalogue, but his work is so much more than just random instrumental noodling (unlike much of Bucketheads music). Albums like Abnormal, Normal and Uncool have some great songwriting, killer riffs, memorable solos and more hooks than a fishermans tackle box. Of course it's all entirely subjective and perhaps his style just doesn't rock your boat, but it simply isn't true that the only people who enjoy his music are guitar nerds.

Edited by Towelie

There is a reason why John 5 went to Ron's masterclass ( true story ) and not the other way around.

Enough said.

Can you provide a source?

Back to the thread. I'm fairly certain John was given consideration in 2006 but he had just joined Rob Zombie. He also does a shit ton of recording with other artists. I don't think the schedules would have lined up. He is a damn good song writer which is why he has been recruited or collaborated with so many big name artists. He's not just some metal head for those that listen to Zombie, he has a wide array of musical talent. He would have been like Bucket but heavier. I don't think he is as good as Bucket but close. Think of like Shacklers.

Just from what we know about Axl's vision in what he wants in GNR, he's done a lot of studio work and touring for a variety of groups. Would've made sense for him to be considered. I do think it prob. did come down to timing.

If anything happened to Ron, I could see his name coming up.

What was that??

How can he not have enough technique to perform the Nightrain solo when he was the one who composed it??

*confused*

He said that he couldnt play the solo as fast as the songs required, or that he didnt have enough technique to play it as fast as he should. I dont think I will find the exact quote though but he was explaining how they recorded the AFD songs.

John 5 is on par with Bumble skill wise

No he isn't.

Based on what? He is just as good technically.

based on their skills. No he isn't.

Ron's picking is better, tapping, vibrato, versatility. If you think John is a better song writer fine I don't care he maybe is but he isn't on Rons level of playing.

Just to make things very clear from the onset, I am only talking about my own personal, subjective feelings and thoughts on Bumblefoot's playing. And although I have listened through a few of his albums and music, there could be songs he has written and guitar parts he has made, that would make me have to adjust my impression of him. I definitely doesn't know his work as much as others here do.

That being said, I have listened to a large part of his music and it just isn't memorable to me. There might be sung structures and lyrics here and there that I really like, but when it comes to his guitar playing it just isn't for me. As I've said before, I feel his music is too analytical and made to impress with technique, and not meant to resonate with hearts or soul. It is an awfully pompous way of explaining things, but I just don't have the vocabulary to explain the difference from overly technical solos that are all over the place and often is disconnected from the overall song, and a melodic solo that fluidly comes out of the song structure, embellishes the song structure, and gives me goose bumps. Maybe his solos just go over my head. I don't know. I am just telling it the way I see it, or feel it. There is nothing right or wrong here, and if you love his guitar playing, more power to you. It is truly my loss.

When I listen to Bumblefoot's overall guitar playing (not each individual solo) these words come to my mind: playful, geeky, silly, cheesy. These are qualities that would fit well with many other bands, but -- and remember this is just me own personal opinion -- not with Guns N' Roses (words: serious, melodic, passionate, aggression, haunting). Bumblefoot playing the Pink Panther theme certainly is a playful thing to do, a bit cheese also, but it just doesn't fit with my own feelings of what Guns N' Roses is. The same goes for many of his solos, and his whole persona. He is a FUN guy. A joker. A cheesy nerd.

I don't mind guitarists with a huge technical register, it isn't necessarily a weakness, but it does mean that the player must be able to pick and choose more carefully what to apply to each given song or setting. Having a huge tool box makes it just the more important that you know how to limit yourself to make sure that whatever you play fits with the rest of the song. I am afraid that this might not be Bumblefoot strongest side. And that is what made guitarists like Frusciante and Slash so great -- they realized that a confined style isn't necessarily a barrier to creating memorable, everlasting music. It's all about piecing the right notes together and make it sing and resonate with the listeners. I guess that without having to worry about being able to play anything, they can focus on what is most beautiful.

I actually feel bad for saying all this, because Bumblefoot is such a FAN-TAS-TIC human being and he brings so much to GN'R (transparency, professionalism, ability to copy Bucket and Slash so well). Every piece of criticism I have given might also not be important when he has to write and compose together with Axl and others who might lead him in the right direction and shackle his most creative, jazzy, noodling ideas. In fact, my opinion of how he fits with the band might be completely different when I hear the next record. Because Bumblefoot is very intelligent and professional, and hopefully malleable. I really, really hope so.

Edited by SoulMonster

Bumble seems like the nicest guy in the world, but he just doesn't fit in GNR. It's that simple. At least he's not playing that foot guitar anymore, that brought embarrassing to a whole new level.

Yeah, because a guy with a KFC bucket on his head, twirling nunchaku and throwing toys; was completely respectable.

Derp!

Bumble seems like the nicest guy in the world, but he just doesn't fit in GNR. It's that simple. At least he's not playing that foot guitar anymore, that brought embarrassing to a whole new level.

Yeah, because a guy with a KFC bucket on his head, twirling nunchaku and throwing toys; was completely respectable.

Derp!

Sorry, where did I say Bucket was a good fit?

Both Bucket and Bumble don't fit.

Derp!

bumble's a cool guy. but he doesn't fit in Guns N' Roses

Derp!

I don't really care who you think fits. It was the "embarrassing to a whole new level" line that I took issue with.

Derp!

I don't really care who you think fits. It was the "embarrassing to a whole new level" line that I took issue with.

Obviously somebody agrees with me, considering he was instructed to play a Les Paul and get rid of it.

Derp!

Obviously somebody agrees with me, considering he was instructed to play a Les Paul and get rid of it.

Source?

Derp!

Source?

Serious? My two eyes. That's my source.

How about DJ Ashba never liked Les Pauls (even said he always thought they were archaic), from what I can see never played them in any of his other bands. Magically, now he plays Les Pauls.

This isn't rocket science.

Derp!

Source?

Serious? My two eyes. That's my source.

(...)

This isn't rocket science.

He doesn't use his Les Paul for the most part anymore. He uses Vigier. He only used his Les Paul in 2006 because he needed a more classical sound and a Flying V in 2007. I guess it was personal choice...? This isn't rock science, indeed. :thumbsup:

He didn't use his foot guitar anymore because it broke in 2006, at the European tour, and he doesn't use it now because he's got a new double neck.