meh, Estranged is the best thing they ever did..

SunnyDRE

I'm sure DJ Asha would've come up with better solos than Slash though. My two cents. And yeah, it's one of my favorite songs.

i'm not that sure.

will see.

in fact, all classic GNR songs were played by slash.

Ashba for now is just an imitation.

Slash gets the guitar right

and Axl gets the lyrics right

song flows

best thing the band ever did..

Agreed.

It's my favourite, but truly shows your GNR colours and does more to reveal a fan's inclination towards the band than any other song. Estranged is THE "fan's song." Very few casual fans would rank Estranged as their favourite GNR song, but it seems like most hardcore GNR fans would put this song in their top three, if not their favourite.

Moreover, if your favourite GNR song is Estranged, you're more likely an Axl fan and probably a fan of the newer iterations of GNR than those who do not hold Estranged in high regard. For some, songs like November Rain and Estranged are what ruined GNR as a street fighting brawler of a band while others feel that they took the band to another level.

Cheers,

Andrew

The part I highlighted definitely fits me. I also belong in the category of people who think it took the band to an entire different (and good) level. If a band sounds the same thoughout their entire career then it's not me at all. I need bands to change things up, try something different than they did on their last albums. If it's the same I get bored and turn to another band. GN'R is great at evolving (in a perfect world they'd release more music though)

It's not on the GH? If so that's wrong.

The tracklist on GH is lame imo. It makes no sense to me. I get they can't fit all the hits on it but some songs I don't even get why they're on there for.

Edited by RocketQueen1985

The level of hate and resentment against the old lineup that permeates this forum is immature and ridiculous. Even worse than at the Megadeth forums. There's a difference between making an occasional joke about a former gunner and actually hating the guy, as if you had actually met him and he had done something to you. You know, loving the new band and idolizing CD and hating the old lineup does not make you a better fan. Grow up, all of you.

And guess what? Disliking songs does not mean you're not a fan. It means you have an opinion and are mature enough to say I don't like this song or that album. Nothing wrong with that? What are you 12?

This song, along with SCOM, helped GnR become what they were in the early 90's, the biggest band in the world. Literally everybody knew who they were.

This thread is as valid as any other thread discussing classic songs.

Edited by Madridista

Great post madridista. What I am finding Is that the old school fans(the ones that grew up on the original band and were actually old enough to attend the concerts) are the ones that can accept both versions of the band, although, we tend to favor the original, and the new fans(the ones that weren't around or were to young to remember the original band) are the ones that can't seem to find anything good to say about the original band, and resort to name calling which In turn upsets fans of the original band and round and round we go. This obviously doesn't pertain to all new guns fans but enough of them, and you have to wonder where the logic Is. Without the original what would you have today.

Great post madridista. What I am finding Is that the old school fans(the ones that grew up on the original band and were actually old enough to attend the concerts) are the ones that can accept both versions of the band, although, we tend to favor the original, and the new fans(the ones that weren't around or were to young to remember the original band) are the ones that can't seem to find anything good to say about the original band, and resort to name calling which In turn upsets fans of the original band and round and round we go. This obviously doesn't pertain to all new guns fans but enough of them, and you have to wonder where the logic Is. Without the original what would you have today.

new fans should shut up. took the train too late.

what makes GNR which (in theory) is still is its past glory.

Like Coma, Estranged is great but not flawless. It runs a bit longer that it should, just gets to a point where you are like 'is it finished yet?'

I think November Rain is flawless, it's run time is perfect for that type of song, everything fits in where it should.

song flows

What a great thread Sunny, thanks for your thoughts.

"best thing the band ever did"

"best thing axl ever did"...sounds better.

The level of hate and resentment against the old lineup that permeates this forum is immature and ridiculous. Even worse than at the Megadeth forums. There's a difference between making an occasional joke about a former gunner and actually hating the guy, as if you had actually met him and he had done something to you. You know, loving the new band and idolizing CD and hating the old lineup does not make you a better fan. Grow up, all of you.

And guess what? Disliking songs does not mean you're not a fan. It means you have an opinion and are mature enough to say I don't like this song or that album. Nothing wrong with that? What are you 12?

This song, along with SCOM, helped GnR become what they were in the early 90's, the biggest band in the world. Literally everybody knew who they were.

This thread is as valid as any other thread discussing classic songs.

I couldnt agree more... I am a fan of GnR no matter what the incarnation is, although I would prefer the classic/ original line up as they created my favorite music that has stood the test of time. My main issue is the disrespect for what the old line up created. I can understand someone prefers a certain line up over another but i dont understand that hate and disrespect for what made GnR what it is today.

song flows

What a great thread Sunny, thanks for your thoughts.

"best thing the band ever did"

"best thing axl ever did"...sounds better.

No.

Here's you answer from Axl:

;). Edited by pi2loc

For me, Civil War is GnR's strongest song.

And I think it is THE song that shows the growth of GnR as a band.

Appetite is all about love and partying and drugs and relationships......then BAM, listen to Civil War.

Also musically, I can't speak of the technical aspect as I'm not a musician, but I think Civil War also showed the growth these guys made as musicians in terms of writing songs.

Think of the hit songs off of Appetite. Jungle has the killer opening and Axl scream. SCOM starts off with the iconic guitar part. Even Paradise City has the catchy chorus part. But Civil War is a complete song. It isn't about a catchy riff or a fancy opening. It isn't about trying to get a riff or chorus to stick in your head. It is a song - from start to finish.

To me, Civil War is the song that moved GnR from being an LA party dirty rock n roll band to a band that was being called "the next rolling stones or areosmith." The song that let people know that they were a band that could write songs that had substance. That all their songs were NOT just going to be about jungles and paradise cities, not about the love of the singer's life, and not about band members doing drugs (Brownstone) or drinking booze (nightrain).

In my opinion, Civil War is the greatest GnR song of all time.

Rounding out the list

November Rain

Estranged

SCOM

You're Crazy

Jungle

Don't Cry

Catcher

Better

Coma

And Nightrain, TIL and Yesterdays are the three most underrated GnR songs of all time.

Edited by Groghan

It's not my favorite but I think it is the best song they collectively wrote. Everything from the lyrics to the piano to the solo was perfect. Listen to Slash's tone during the solo...effin perfect. It has its highs and lows. The intro is chilling. It is THE song I would play to anyone who never heard of GN'R before.

But for me personally there are others I like better, Breakdown, Coma, Civil War, Paradise City. . .but I won't deny Estranged is imo the best GN'R song written.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

The very best thing they ever did was Sweet Child O' Mine. The perfect guitars, perfect drums, perfect bass, perfect vocals, perfect lyrics, perfect melody, perfect guitar tone, etc., etc.

Estranged is nearly perfect as well though, but I really think SCOM is their absolute best creation.

I agree. I always feel kind of stupid saying out loud that SCOM is my favourite GN'R song. It's something a casual fan would say but it really is the perfect song. I honestly can't think of one thing I would change about it. You actually couldn't make it better. The video for it is actually beautiful. I'm glad they didn't over do it. It easily could've looked really cheesy. They got the balance right.

Estranged would be my second favourite.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Yeah, the video is perfect. Except that they cut off the best part of the intro. But other than that, it's my favourite video. So simple. So ingenius.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

SLAA and SS..........SCOM might be my favorite song of all time.

Yeah it is for me too actually.

Nah. Estranged is good, but it's not even the best song on UYI II.

Civil War, 14 Years, and Locomotive are still better songs on that album. Coma, November Rain, and Don't Damn Me are better on UYI I. I like Estranged, but there are far better songs on both Illusions.