What was the worst song on Chinese Democracy?

What was the worst song on Chinese Democracy?  

146 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think which ones can you just hum or play on acoustic and still get a tune. Chi dem is really about Axls lyric and deliver plus the riff. Riad is really about vocal. That's all I could come up with in terms of trying to hate on CD.

They thing that bugs me is the intro on Riad in terms of when u listen to the whole album through I scratch my eyes out waiting for it to finish. If that was the first song then Scraped kicked that would work.

If the world and Rhiad. I don't dislike ITW though, but I had to chose something :shrugs: Rhiad is the only CD song I just can't listen to. I gotta admit I always skip it, I've tried to get into it but I just can't.

Yeah, these are the two that I selected as well. If The World could have been good if it weren't for the horrible verses. I've always felt like Axl is off pitch when he sings the end of them ("Now you've got the best of me.") The intro and chorus aren't bad, it's just those versus that take me right out of it.

Rhiad is one I never liked, never will like, and it amazes me that of the 28 to 30 songs that they went with this one. Unless it has some sort of message Axl was trying to deliver to someone, it makes no sense it made the cut. The vocals are from the 2001 era (not my favourite), the production almost comes off as a demo, and structurally, it suffers from a lack of focus and direction. The only thing I will give it props for is the drumming (always loved Freese's drum lines and Rhiad is a good demonstration of this). But overall, it's just a mess.

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm surprised that so many like Madagascar. It's a cluttered depressing mess to me. The mlk quotes? Really? It didn't get my vote as worst but there's certainly a case to be made.

I still don't get all the hate for riad, it was one of the few true rockers on the album. I loved it.

How did better get even one vote? Wow.

As for catcher in the rye, is the negative reception due to the changes since the Brian may version? It's one of my favorites on cd. A case I can see being made is that it really doesn't fit on the album. Too queen and Elton John like on an album that is actually fairly weird.

I'm happy to see if the world get the dislike it deserves, strange song.

My choice would be maddy, which bores the hell out of me. Ever notice how the synth sounds a little like gangstas paradise? Big ups to Coolio, but I digress.

I actually really like scraped, but man. That intro is just the worst. Also could do without the twat intro, which I swore was a fan made joke on the leaks and was shocked to hear it was real on the album.

Pubes

I like all of the songs and feel that the album is something of a grab bag of accomplishments BUT the only song that I kind of feel indifferent to is This I Love. It isn't the song itself as it has good things going for it but the orchestration on it feels too much like a lame Broadway musical.

This I Love is completely embarrassing. When Axl starts singing in the higher pitch, I hide my face in the hands, embarrassed for him. It's a powerful and uncontrolable feeling.

It's hard to pick one as I love all of them and as a whole there are no song i consider as the worst. If I have to name one it would be If The World though. But again, the rhythm in this song is my fave on the whole album. The ending with the rhythm guitar is awesome...!

There are a few contenders but probably If the world, probably the most un-eventful song the band have ever done, I don't hate it, it has it's moments, it's rescued from being awful by a pretty good vocal in parts (seriously Axl singing anything lifts a song up a notch or two), I quite like riff they put in in parts under the flamenco guitars also, but really it isn't that great a song.

Scraped is a pretty poor effort by Axl's standards, it's quite punchy but again, not really that great.

I love Magagascar by the way, well any version except the one on the album.

If the world, Scraped and Rhiad apart, it's a pretty strong album. They should probably have been ditched these to be honest and made it an eleven track. Might have been taken more kindly that way. These three songs bring the album down.

Riad certainly has one of the raw/hard instrumental on it. Some people dislike Axl's vocals (particularly the oh-oooooooooooh-oh part) but to me they're incredibly strong here. I get the part about the wails sounding digitized and distracting from the music, but at the same time it's clearly a tribute/homage to Immigrant Song.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

Had to break up the songs because of a 10-option limit on the poll.

We are 3+ years on after the release of Chinese Democracy

After a few years of pondering - what were the duds on this album?

This I Love,

However, what the heck happened to the released version of Catcher? The final version is abysmal compared to the demos in my opinion.