Why should Axl release new material anyway?

Kula2006

Something I've been thinking about lately.

What good reason should Axl have to release new material?

He will never get the support he would need to create a perfect album from any record company (costs, timelines, etc) again

The general public won't change their opinion on "NuGNR" (=cover band) just because they release another solid album - just in case they would release another revolutionary album like AFD but we all know that won't happen

The setlist for the live shows won't change - we will get less CD and more new songs but the setlist will still consist of all the classics (80 % of the setlist)

So are there any good reasons for him to work on or release a new album?? I guess just to satisfy some people on the forums isn't enough to convince him....

So are there any good reasons for him to work on or release a new album?? I guess just to satisfy some people on the forums isn't enough to convince him....

Err, perhaps as an artist to share his art and to satisfy the hundred of thousands of people who will buy the record and enjoy the music?

Err, perhaps as an artist to share his art

That might be the case for most artists but in Axls case I always had the impression that he definitely doesn't enjoy recording new material. As a perfectionist he never seems to be happy with the end product and nowadays no rec company would give him the time/money to make a "perfect" record -> from his perspective

Err, perhaps as an artist to share his art

That might be the case for most artists but in Axls case I always had the impression that he definitely doesn't enjoy recording new material. As a perfectionist he never seems to be happy with the end product and nowadays no rec company would give him the time/money to make a "perfect" record -> from his perspective

I am not saying we can't conceive of reasons that may put Axl off releasing a new record, just giving you some out of many good reasons for why he should want to do it.

I agree.

I forgot axl forced us all to join a forum and dictate his life because some people enjoy his music to much that they have to share there own frustrations on a message board.

I'd take touring over a new album. I love the music as it is now, and they have enough songs to mix up the setlist for another tour if they choose too.

Well first, we were promised a trilogy of albums. Second, there are many, many songs that have been recorded, with a few of them Axl has commented on.

And you ask why Axl should release new material. Well, because Axl, like any other artist, should want to share their art with the world. I would love to have a new GN'R album, even if it was just a 6 song EP with new material recorded by the today's band, I still would love to hear it. Basically I just want to see what Axl has left. But, the only negative to the possibility to them releasing the Buckethead/Finck material is maybe Axl isn't into the industrial stuff anymore, maybe he wants to have a more straight-forward Rock N' Roll record now. Who knows? Either that or he'll have DJ Ashba re-record over Bucketheads part's. :scared:

But, to be perfectly honest I don't know any fan of any band that wouldn't want new music from that band. I don't see any negative, at all, with releasing new music to the public. I would rather them release a new album and play songs on that album than play 75 percent of songs recorded by another band with only 5 or 6 songs that came from an album 4 years ago that took 14 years to get released.

I don't see how a person could be a fan of Guns N' Roses and not want new music by them.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

[...]

How about the fact he logged in with his Dexter account and told us there would be a new album? THAT's why he has to release new material. He got us all excited.

Someone should wear a shirt to a concert which says on it "Was your Dexter account really hacked on mygnr? I need to know."

He will never get the support he would need to create a perfect album from any record company (costs, timelines, etc) again

The general public won't change their opinion on "NuGNR" (=cover band) just because they release another solid album - just in case they would release another revolutionary album like AFD but we all know that won't happen

The setlist for the live shows won't change - we will get less CD and more new songs but the setlist will still consist of all the classics (80 % of the setlist)

You need a computer and 5000$ to make a perfect album at you home. And I believe that Axl does have that. Only thing that he doesn't have are good songs.

Well first, we were promised a trilogy of albums. Second, there are many, many songs that have been recorded, with a few of them Axl has commented on.

And you ask why Axl should release new material. Well, because Axl, like any other artist, should want to share their art with the world. I would love to have a new GN'R album, even if it was just a 6 song EP with new material recorded by the today's band, I still would love to hear it. Basically I just want to see what Axl has left. But, the only negative to the possibility to them releasing the Buckethead/Finck material is maybe Axl isn't into the industrial stuff anymore, maybe he wants to have a more straight-forward Rock N' Roll record now. Who knows? Either that or he'll have DJ Ashba re-record over Bucketheads part's. :scared:

But, to be perfectly honest I don't know any fan of any band that wouldn't want new music from that band. I don't see any negative, at all, with releasing new music to the public. I would rather them release a new album and play songs on that album than play 75 percent of songs recorded by another band with only 5 or 6 songs that came from an album 4 years ago that took 14 years to get released.

I don't see how a person could be a fan of Guns N' Roses and not want new music by them.

Spot on! I agree with this!

they have enough songs to mix up the setlist for another tour if they choose too.

Agreed 100%

I've been trying to explain this forever!!!

The thing is though they haven't really "mixed up" the set-list since 2009.

They added two songs for 1991 and took away many Chinese Democracy songs like If The World, IRS, and even Catcher. They were rotating through those songs in the 2009-2010 tour, ever since the beginning on the 2011 tour they've been playing essentially the same set-list, with maybe a song or two being different.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

"I'm not working on all this to keep it buried"

-Axl

they have enough songs to mix up the setlist for another tour if they choose too.

Agreed 100%

Well that's another issue...Like where is Yesterdays, If the world, IRS, Perfect crime, double talkin', dead horse etc....?

Agreed 100%

Well that's another issue...Like where is Yesterdays, If the world, IRS, Perfect crime, double talkin', dead horse etc....?

Not only that, why aren't they playing Going Down and Oh My God, two songs that were on the 2011 tour set-list for a long time. It seems like Axl is just "going with the motions now" and doing the status quo instead of trying to move forward with this band and present them as Guns N' Roses. Hell, they don't even have their own songs they can play as a band. Their only playing songs written by other musicians. That's why people call this band a "cover band" and a "nostalgia act." It's not a knock on them, it's just that there not playing their own material. Sure, Axl owns the name and wrote many of their songs, but the current members don't have any music out there as a band to perform like and show their talents. It's like if KISS continued to tour without the last two albums, they would be looked at as a cover band, but because their putting out music with the current members, their able to show their talents in the studio and what they can bring to the table as far as KISS goes.

This thread reminds me of how I feel whenever I read the "Axl doesn't owe you anything" bullshit.

By that premise, we would live in a world with no music, since artists would record stuff and keep for themselves.

Yeah, I grown to really hate the "Axl doesn't own you anything."

As a musician he should be giving us his music, his art, his lyrics, his melodies for his fans to enjoy. It's not a big stretch to see fans that want new music from their favorite artist.

If not giving, selling it. I'd love to spend some money on new stuff. Look at NIN, for example. He sells his "normal" stuff via download. Then he gives the option to buy deluxe editions, which are a little expensive, but makes the fan happy. It's not rocket science, I know I'm just a guy posting on a message board but... It just can't be THAT difficult to release music and get some money. And we know how Axl loves money.

Singers sing.

Axl might not enjoy the business side of creating an album. But he now apparently loves touring, he loves performing, I'm sure he loves living in a mansion and having multi-millions of dollars in the bank, and a crew full of yes-men following him around.

Singing affords Axl the lifestyle that he is currently living.

I think some people put way toooooo much thought into Axl. He isn't the leader of a country, where every decision he makes effects the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

He is a rock and roll singer.

If he wants to release more music and keep touring - he will.

If he has had enough of the business, has a big enough bank account, then he will retire.

If not giving, selling it. I'd love to spend some money on new stuff. Look at NIN, for example. He sells his "normal" stuff via download. Then he gives the option to buy deluxe editions, which are a little expensive, but makes the fan happy. It's not rocket science, I know I'm just a guy posting on a message board but... It just can't be THAT difficult to release music and get some money. And we know how Axl loves money.

Yeah, there is many ways to get music out now, a compact disc isn't the only way people get music anymore. They can put a song on their website and sell it for $1.99, and them play that song live the next show. Release another song, then play it live. After two months there's 12 songs out and their playing them on tour and the people can buy them, so their making money off of it instead of people illegally downloading a full album.

Or, they can release a EP with 6 songs on it, just to hold the fans over for a new album of new material. OR, just release a single.

Like I said, it's not hard to get music out today.

Singers sing.

Axl might not enjoy the business side of creating an album. But he now apparently loves touring, he loves performing, I'm sure he loves living in a mansion and having multi-millions of dollars in the bank, and a crew full of yes-men following him around.

Singing affords Axl the lifestyle that he is currently living.

I think some people put way toooooo much thought into Axl. He isn't the leader of a country, where every decision he makes effects the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

He is a rock and roll singer.

If he wants to release more music and keep touring - he will.

If he has had enough of the business, has a big enough bank account, then he will retire.

Well, if he was to retire let's just hope he puts out a box-set of EVERYTHING he recorded over the last 2 decade (old and new band) and puts it out.

My fear is Axl is going to keep his music locked up in a vault.