What constitutes the "GN'R sound" for you?

Vincent Vega

Inspired by this post:

thats the thing though based on appetite and the illusions, what constitutes GNR sound? Estranged, Coma, and Nov. Rain would not fit at all on the first album.

what song epitomizes GNR to people is that they were so versatile. They don't really have a particular sound to me. Other than maybe Don't Cry. That song bridges the gap nicely. UCBM works on appetite better than it does on UYI

It's true: Songs such as Estranged, Coma, November Rain, Breakdown, and many many others would not have fit on AFD; Their sound, while still in the genre of "Rock" is very different. Given the versatility of GN'R, and the vast musical territory the band traversed between 1985 and 1991, what actually constitutes the often spoken of "GN'R sound"?

Is it the ancient art of weaving guitars as practiced by Slash and Izzy's dual rhythm and lead work on AFD, where both equally share riffs, lead parts, solos and fills?

Is it the Slash led and multilayered heavy guitar sound of the UYIs?

Is it the sonic assault of multiple guitar players of CD?

Is it the Punk Rock tinged AFD? Is it Blues Rock? Progressive Rock? Industrial?

Is it the groovy laden drumming of Adler, or the hard hitting, Bonham-esque drumming of Sorum? Or the in between sounds of Freese, Brain and Frank?

Is it the Stonesy vibe of Izzy/Gilby? The varied influences of Axl? The Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin fusion found in Slash? Or the Punk Rock meets Seattle vibe of Duff? The eccentricity meets genius of Buckethead? The wild styles of Bumblefoot? The Crue style riff rock of Ashba?

The classic Honky Tonk bar piano of Dizzy Reed, or the industrial inspired sounds and effects made by Chris Pittman?

What constitutes the "GN'R sound" for you?

I don't have a single definition for "the GNR sound". The sound that defines AFD for me is the dueling guitars, but UYI is much more Axl-based. CD is a clusterfuck so there's no defining that at all.

edit: lolgunsguy

Edited by bacardimayne

Good thread!

I think if there's one song that summarizes the "GNR sound" in its entirety it's Locomotive. To me, it has everything that the OP listed. It's ambitious, epic, blues based but guitar driven, multilayered vocals and guitar, but also has a softer side as heard in the outro. To me, it's the epitome of a Axl and Slash collective work.

Cheers,

Andrew

Good thread!

I think if there's one song that summarizes the "GNR sound" in its entirety it's Locomotive. To me, it has everything that the OP listed. It's ambitious, epic, blues based but guitar driven, multilayered vocals and guitar, but also has a softer side as heard in the outro. To me, it's the epitome of a Axl and Slash collective work.

Cheers,

Andrew

No Izzy. So not really.

Cheers,

Stop always signing your name.

Really, it's all about Slash and Izzy's unmistakable dual guitar play, Axl's incredible one of a kind voice, and Duff and Adler's groove. It did work with Matt Sorum on Use Your Illusion, and it worked very well, but AFD/Lies GNR is the definitive sound for me

well that would have to be something that spans all albums. duelling would be it had it been present throughout but its not so I guess song structure defines the gnr sound to me and the best example is:

afd: SCOM - not many bands do what they did here (structurewise)

uyis: NR, Estranged

cd: Better (to me identical to SCOM in some structural respects

another defining thing is creative buildup on many songs that not many bands do both at beginnings making for a powerful intro and endings making for a powerful ending or both: WTTJ, YCBM have both and many of the songs throughout their catalogue have either great beginning or ending builup

structure alltogether is what sets apart gnr from many other bands as well as former member bands (neither slash, duff, izzy or steven have done anything interesting structurewise) whereas CD is abundant in structural peculiarities and that's what makes CD a legitimate member of GNR catalogues in my eyes

ps i even remember being very sad when I realised there is no more duelling on uyis and thats one of the biggest problems on subsequent albums, CD being the worst up untill Ron added interesting duelling parts (here's hoping to future ron-rich-ash duelling and not forgetting tommy (cd misses prominent bass) :) )

Edited by the rush

Good thread!

Cheers,

Andrew

No Izzy. So not really.

Cheers,

Guess you missed the part where I said "to me." It's my opinion of what the GNR "sound" is. Sorry you disagree but you're welcome to your own opinion.

I'll stop as soon as you stop being a douche bothered by things that don't concern you.

Though there are exceptions, I find it strange that the biggest assholes on this forum are also those who contribute money to its upkeep.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

gnr was never a band you could pigeonhole, their sound was always changing and evolving, i really dont know what i would say is the definitive sound, i just like the UYI albums the best due to the wide arrange of music, be it ballads, rockers, obscure stuff it had it all

Just blues-based. You could hear the blues in pretty much every song on AFD-The Illusions. And you can hear it in some parts of CD. What makes GN'R so great is how stylish they are musically. Just listen to the breakdown in Nightrain or pretty much all of Rocket Queen.

Edit: And OF COURSE Axl's voice. Even if the blues-based guitars were still there, it wouldn't be GN'R without Axl.

Edited by Kill Devil Hill

Good thread!

Cheers,

Andrew

No Izzy. So not really.

Cheers,

Stop always being a Prick. Cheers, Scott...

axl's voice.

This. And Axl's amazing lyrics and his all-encompassing Fuck-you-all Attitude!

It's a great topic & thread. Hard to summarize it completely. I think most people's responses are great and most definetly valid.

It has to be the blues-based hard rock foundations and multiple classic influences. The song structures including some phenomenal outros (as others have already mentioned). And last but not least Axl shagging a chick on RocketQueen.... :)

Guest Gunns

It's Axl, as long as his voice is there , that's gnr. it's one of the most identifiable Rock voices in history, he has a plethora of different voices too which he chops n changes throughout every song,

he's some kind of hybrid of talent and vision wrapped up with a large amount of mystique to boot

I know Izzy had a HUGE part in writing the songs. Probably the biggest, really. But when I actually listen to GNR it's the sound of Slash's guitar with Axl's voice. Even though it's not my favourite song the second half of SCOM with Axl's wails and Slash's solos.... it's just bliss. Izzy's rock solid riffs, melodies, structure all that is undeniably essential but when shit really fits the fan and what truly makes them stand out is when Axl lets loose and goes crazy while Slash does the same. That's the magic.