Was having a guitarist as iconic as Slash a double-edged sword for GnR?

Madridista

If you look at the history of most famous bands out there, chances are you will find one or two major lineup changes somewhere along the line. I will give you two examples, Dave Mustaine replacing Marty Friedman in Megadeth after making their best albums (Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction) and Adrian Smith leaving Iron Maiden in the early 1990's, after making their best albums ever in the 1980's.

Depending on who you ask, those bands were somewhat succesful at finding a replacement, though it did take their fanbase a long time to accept the changes. And in the case of Iron Maiden, Adrian Smith rejoined Maiden in the late 90s and he's still there.

I don't want this thread to turn into an anti DJ Ashba thread, or into a we all hate Slash thread. That is not my intention. I just want to know what you guys think about the following question.

Was having an iconic guitarist like Slash, a guitarist whose image is well known around the world, even by those who are not into rock/metal scene a double-edge sword for GnR? You know, Marty Friedman was a great musician, but image wise he was not that impressive. I mean, he did not stand out. Slash on the other hand, with that iconic hat, the hair, his guitar, the pose... I think it all created an iconic image that got imprinted on everyone's mind, at least the general public's. And it's not just that, it was his sound. You may hate the old lineup, which I will never understand because they created the songs and albums that made GnR who they are, but anyway... His solos in classics like SCOM or Estranged or November Rain and his riffs on songs like Mr. Brownstone have Slash written all over them. They're examples of the sound we (most of us at least) grew up loving.

Did all that make it even arder for Axl to find a replacement that would be readily accepted by everyone or most of GnR's fanbase? What if GnR had had a guitarist whose image and sound were not so recognizable? Would that have made it easier to find a replacement? You know, just a good musician, but someone without such a strong image and such a personal style in his guitar playing.

I remember talking to some die hard Iron Maiden fans back in 1994, when I was starting to get into Maiden and had already been a GnR fan for quite a few years. We were talking about who our favorite guitarists were and of course I said Slash and they said his sound was, quote "dirty" "not clean sounding" like Dave Murray's. I remember saying "yeah, maybe. But his sound fits GnR just fine".

I am sorry if I'm rambling, but just wanted to know what you guys think.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Madridista

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since Axl does 0 publicity and Slash is still out there and inevitably associated with GNR people hear and get into Guns more often through him than through Axl I'm sure so even though there's so much hate toward Slash he's a part of the reason they're still successful.

EDIT: Successful touring the old songs Slash was a part of, of course. All the tremendous success of Chi Dem and the Chi Dem songs live is all Axl and his 100 guitarists over the years.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

Well since Axl does 0 publicity and Slash is still out there and inevitably associated with GNR people hear and get into Guns more often through him than through Axl I'm sure so even though there's so much hate toward Slash he's a part of the reason they're still successful.

EDIT: Successful touring the old songs Slash was a part of, of course. All the tremendous success of Chi Dem and the Chi Dem songs live is all Axl and his 100 guitarists over the years.

100 guitarists? Just like Slash's 100 vocalists? :rolleyes:

Face it Slash will never take the blame for breaking up and not continuing VR and for trying to end GNR.

Face it Slash will never take the blame for breaking up and not continuing VR and for trying to end GNR.

See you reply like I'm a Slashite or whatever you call it.

Ya, exactly like Slash's 100 vocalists. Ya, I'm really really upset with Slash over the VR thing. I don't know EXACTLY what happened but I do know, as you do I'm sure, that Scott talked of a reunion and Slash shut it down. What the fuck is that? Both Axl and Slash sort of suck now lol

Please, don't turn this into I HATE SLASH thread. Is that too difficult? :question:

Well Im not going to let it turn into a piss on CD and Axl thread either...see it goes both ways.

Who's pissing on Axl and CD? Jesus Christ... Are you in love with Axl?

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A GUITARIST'S IMAGE AND SOUND BEING DIFFICULT TO REPLACE !!! :rolleyes:

It saddens me that every single thread in this forum turns into a flame war. To quote some guy that just passed away "Can't we all just get along?". This place would be way better without all the constant fighting. Let's all talk about our favorite band without jumping at each other's throats all the time.

Edited by Madridista

slash's fans have places they can post, but they choose to post here because slash specific areas and sites are desolate.

i'll never understand why members (specifically bitter ex-fans) can't read properly and post things in proper sections. :shrugs:

Slash became iconic because of his look (getting over stage fright) playing sloppy blues on a Gibson. Actually throughout most of the 80's be played on guitars no different from other hair bands. You know the fucked up looking ones that look like an ax. He just played it sloppier than most but it sounded good. But Gibson enhanced his tone.

slash's fans have places they can post, but they choose to post here because slash specific areas and sites are desolate.

i'll never understand why members (specifically bitter ex-fans) can't read properly and post things in proper sections. :shrugs:

It is to defend their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and freedom to vent their frustration and freedom to empty their bowels when and where they want to etc..etc...

Bro, you bring balance to the force thumbsup.gif

Congratulations guys. you managed to hijack my thread. :thumbsup:

The forums members that have an unhealthy man crush on Axl are as unbearable as the ones who have an unhealthy man crush on Slash.

many of us gave you sincere replies. universal sigh started with the axl vs. slash shit. what did you expect after that?

more importantly, since this thread is about slash. it should have been posted in the pre 94 forum instead of the post 01 forum.

Are you a mod on this site, just a simple yes or no would suffice.

The forums members that have an unhealthy man crush on Axl are as unbearable as the ones who have an unhealthy man crush on Slash.

many of us gave you sincere replies. universal sigh started with the axl vs. slash shit. what did you expect after that?

more importantly, since this thread is about slash. it should have been posted in the pre 94 forum instead of the post 01 forum.

That's like asking a guy who is screaming "I am being robbed!" if he is a police man.

Are you a dick? just a simple yes or no would suffice.

Slash became iconic because of his look

Agree 100%

He was a good guitar player but he basically did what was already done. He can never be a Clapton, Jeff Beck or an SRV who can play brilliantly by themselves. Slash needs to play off other guitarists.

Some bands have frontmen where they're the sole songwriter and can get away with changing lineups. In a rock band that becomes THAT big though? Where the band's a household name? Changing that is dangerous and can backfire. Most people have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.

Slash's image makes him valuable to other artists, and doesn't need the GNR name to show up as a guest and play with anyone. Sometimes I'm sure it's just a paycheck for session work, and others were because he's a fan of theirs, I'm sure Cheap Trick and The Yardbirds were prob. done as a fan in those cases. Rihanna prob. paid out more than she would have some unknown session guitarist.

Yes, it's a double edged sword, but if Axl's reaction to all things Slash is making people turn t-shirts inside out because of some old shit that doesn't matter anymore, he should just wish Slash well and good luck at this point in his life, we had a good run, too bad it fell apart, and leave it at that.

Slash became iconic because of his look

Agree 100%

He was a good guitar player but he basically did what was already done. He can never be a Clapton, Jeff Beck or an SRV who can play brilliantly by themselves. Slash needs to play off other guitarists.

Correct. You shoud youtube the video of John Mayer and Slash jamming with ZZ Top. It's hilarious how he can't keep up. Mayer was just killing it though!!

I actually felt sorry for him and could not believe this was the same guy that used to be in GNR.

Then there is the Beat It debacle small_subtle_facepalm.png

Edited by volcano62