Was having a guitarist as iconic as Slash a double-edged sword for GnR?

Madridista

Oh, so you think those guys weren't original at all, not even Hendrix? I have no further comment on this subject, nothing else to add to this after what your said, sorry.

They added their own style to the music and wrote original songs but it is all based on the old blues players whose music they studied and learned from...Hendrix may have been the most original of the bunch but he even admitted in interviews his music was based on the old blues players so no they did not create something totally unique..And as much as I love Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page he is one of the bigger thiefs of the bunch...many of his songs were nicked from other musicians especially the first Zep album with no credit gven unitl they sued him...

I love SRV but his music is just his interpretation of the blues...same with Clapton who in fact did a whole tour playing nothing but old Blues standards................I don't see why Slash is so different from the other guitar heroes? He made original music based on his influences like Aerosmith which made music based on their influences................just another reason to try to discredit Slash by his haters I think.............

Edited by classicrawker

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying Slash was owned by Mayer. Look at ZZ top's reaction....it's not rocket science.

I watched the video and really don't understand what you're talking about. They're both good players and both did a good job interpreting La Grange. Of course you're not going to like Slash's playing because you don't like Slash (and I surmise this is purely based on Axl's own reflections on his former band mate). That's fine in a sense, but to say that one person is better than the other and treat it as fact is ignoring the subjective nature of music and art. The fact that you feel Mayer performed better than Slash on one guitar solo and thus this means Mayer is a much better guitar player says little about their actual playing ability. I suppose that because Michael Phelps lost one race last week in his Olympic qualifier to his teammate that makes him an inferior swimmer. Your logic doesn't add up Volcano (but then again, it rarely does). Apparently every thread for you has to turn into a thread as to why Slash sucks. I serious don't understand your motivations for this but whatever floats your boat. You may feel like that Slash is an embarrassment on guitar, but just remember who wrote the iconic solos that you cheer on when DJ, Bumble or Fortus play them live. Those guy wouldn't have the jobs they now have if it weren't for the man in the top hat. I'm not a John Mayer fan but I can appreciate the fact that he can play; I just think he writes shit songs. Let me give you an example of how to discuss something in a thread that relates to Axl and Slash that doesn't disparage either:

As for the topic at hand, yes, for Axl it certainly was a double-edge sword having someone so iconic move on from the band. I look at someone like Ozzy who had to replace Randy Rhodes with Jake E. Lee and then Zakk Wylde. No one had too much of an issue with this (especially with replacing Rhodes who died) simply because the Ozzy brand was obviously synonymous with Ozzy. The fruitful beginnings and rise to domination of GNR was associated visually by Axl and Slash. Had Axl moved on from Guns N' Roses his eventual lead guitarist would not have received such a spiteful comparison with the image people have of GNR. Very few people have held much contempt for Slash's lead singers over the years because they weren't Axl simply because he wasn't attempting to change, revise or modify people's perceptions of what GNR is or was. As soon as anyone hears the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine or the outro guitar solo in November Rain they will immediately associate visually that sound to Slash. That's not an association that will easily or ever be changed unless Axl was able to stick with one guitar player and produce meaningful and numerous songs/albums. Buckethead obviously has/had a distinct sound a visual representation. Had they been able to work together for a five to ten year period I'm sure some if not most would have moved on from the associations they have of GNR and Slash. Returning to my Ozzy comparison, if you look at Black Sabbath after Ozzy's departure, the fact that they were able to produce relevant and noteworthy music with Ronnie James Dio speaks to how replacing a band member can be done if that's the route one wants to take. I suppose the same could be said with Van Halen and Sammy Hagar. Fans will come around if you give them a reason to. Apparently the public feels like Axl hasn't given enough to knock their old associations of GNR and Slash.

Remember though, like myself, GNR is a band synonymous with their youth. Youth, and its nostalgic influence, is a powerful force. Slash is always going to be part of my association with GNR as it was his playing, along with Axl's voice and piano playing, that had such a profound effect on my musical identity when I was young. I think for a lot of newer fans who weren't into GNR when they were younger (or weren't old enough to know of or appreciation GNR in its classic formation) have an easier time associating GNR without Slash's iconic look and sound. It's a contextual issue that I think is lost on most people. So I understand why people like Volcano and others who weren't big on GNR's formative years disparage the classic lineup like they do, but they ultimately fail to understand why others like myself substantiate guys like Slash, Izzy and Duff on a much higher level than they do.

Some bands, when drastic change is forced upon them, decide to end it simply because they feel like what they lost was too instrumental to continue without it. Look at Zeppelin, without Bonham's drums the band felt it just wouldn't be the same and decided to end it. Axl obviously felt differently with respect to GNR and Slash's departure. It's a tall order to fill on his part and some respect is deserved in attempting something so ambitious and what many would consider a fool's errand. Like I mentioned earlier, had Axl been able to hold on to Buckethead and produced a meaningful body of work I think he might have been able to achieve what he envisioned when he decided to regroup back in 1996 and 1997 with Slash and Duff's departure. Since that didn't happen and the man is now past the half-century mark, it doesn't seem like he'll ever escape Slash's shadow in the public's eye.

Cheers,

Andrew

Post of the decade.

I've watched the vid numerous times just to make sure I'm not missing something. How the hell can u say Slash embarrassed himself here? He just played tastefully and respectfully along to La Grange. Lolcano, your hate for Slash is far too much. You can't even look at a vid and interpret it properly. There's no way you can be a legit poster. You need to be someone elses' alias just to stir shit. Probably MSL...

Like I said. Slash played great, and then Mayer played great. If you think Slash embarrassed himself and Mayer schooled him, you're off the planet. For real.

Oh, so you think those guys weren't original at all, not even Hendrix? I have no further comment on this subject, nothing else to add to this after what your said, sorry.

They added their own style to the music and wrote original songs but it is all based on the old blues players whose music they studied and learned from...Hendrix may have been the most original of the bunch but he even admitted in interviews his music was based on the old blues players so no they did not create something totally unique..And as much as I love Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page he is one of the bigger thiefs of the bunch...many of his songs were nicked from other musicians especially the first Zep album with no credit gven unitl they sued him...

I love SRV but his music is just his interpretation of the blues...same with Clapton who in fact did a whole tour playing nothing but old Blues standards................I don't see why Slash is so different from the other guitar heroes? He made original music based on his influences like Aerosmith which made music based on their influences................just another reason to try to discredit Slash by his haters I think.............

Agreed. Most people do not have a firm understanding of how musicians come to be. Music, especially contemporary rock/pop music, is nothing more than an iteration of what came before it. Guys like Hendrix, Page and Beck get a lot of credit for being "the originals," but really they're the guys who popularized what had been around for a long time. That's not to diminish their contributions as they are/were monsters at what they did, but to argue that the created something that didn't exist before them is disingenuous.

If Slash was so derivative and unoriginal, then why would so many iconic musicians hold him is such high regard (you know, the guys who can actually play, unlike most of the posters around here)? Like I mention in my previous post, I'm not a John Mayer fan because his songs don't speak to me, but to deny he's not an amazing guitar player is to acknowledge oneself as deaf. Credibility is built up over many years and through many compositions. It is earned and deserved when we speak of guys like Page, SRV, Slash, VH, Beck, Jack White, Richards, Chuck Berry, etc.

Put another way, if these guys had been awful, no one would have cared about their visual representation. The top hat and Slash's whole look is an iconic look because of the musical contributions Slash made. Had Slash sucked and did nothing, no one would have cared that he was wearing a top hat and would have been long forgotten.

Axl needed someone who could provide the new band that same kind of creative output that Slash had given him. Buckethead and Robin so far could have been those guys had they decided to stick around and the band had produced more than one album.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

i think axl was happy to have an iconic guitarist, so long as the iconic guitarist was happy to put up with all of axl's bullshit.

but now that axl's washed up and fat and can't sing like he used to, there's no way an iconic guitarist is going to be willing to put up with his shit. hell, even third rate studio musicians like robin finck can't stomach him any more.

Ah, it's so refreshing to see the Axl haters show their true colors and not mask all their hate with some phony, high minded drivel....

More honesty, please thumbsup.gif

Edited by The Archer

I'm saying Slash was owned by Mayer. Look at ZZ top's reaction....it's not rocket science.

I watched the video and really don't understand what you're talking about. They're both good players and both did a good job interpreting La Grange. Of course you're not going to like Slash's playing because you don't like Slash (and I surmise this is purely based on Axl's own reflections on his former band mate). That's fine in a sense, but to say that one person is better than the other and treat it as fact is ignoring the subjective nature of music and art. The fact that you feel Mayer performed better than Slash on one guitar solo and thus this means Mayer is a much better guitar player says little about their actual playing ability. I suppose that because Michael Phelps lost one race last week in his Olympic qualifier to his teammate that makes him an inferior swimmer. Your logic doesn't add up Volcano (but then again, it rarely does). Apparently every thread for you has to turn into a thread as to why Slash sucks. I serious don't understand your motivations for this but whatever floats your boat. You may feel like that Slash is an embarrassment on guitar, but just remember who wrote the iconic solos that you cheer on when DJ, Bumble or Fortus play them live. Those guy wouldn't have the jobs they now have if it weren't for the man in the top hat. I'm not a John Mayer fan but I can appreciate the fact that he can play; I just think he writes shit songs. Let me give you an example of how to discuss something in a thread that relates to Axl and Slash that doesn't disparage either:

As for the topic at hand, yes, for Axl it certainly was a double-edge sword having someone so iconic move on from the band. I look at someone like Ozzy who had to replace Randy Rhodes with Jake E. Lee and then Zakk Wylde. No one had too much of an issue with this (especially with replacing Rhodes who died) simply because the Ozzy brand was obviously synonymous with Ozzy. The fruitful beginnings and rise to domination of GNR was associated visually by Axl and Slash. Had Axl moved on from Guns N' Roses his eventual lead guitarist would not have received such a spiteful comparison with the image people have of GNR. Very few people have held much contempt for Slash's lead singers over the years because they weren't Axl simply because he wasn't attempting to change, revise or modify people's perceptions of what GNR is or was. As soon as anyone hears the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine or the outro guitar solo in November Rain they will immediately associate visually that sound to Slash. That's not an association that will easily or ever be changed unless Axl was able to stick with one guitar player and produce meaningful and numerous songs/albums. Buckethead obviously has/had a distinct sound a visual representation. Had they been able to work together for a five to ten year period I'm sure some if not most would have moved on from the associations they have of GNR and Slash. Returning to my Ozzy comparison, if you look at Black Sabbath after Ozzy's departure, the fact that they were able to produce relevant and noteworthy music with Ronnie James Dio speaks to how replacing a band member can be done if that's the route one wants to take. I suppose the same could be said with Van Halen and Sammy Hagar. Fans will come around if you give them a reason to. Apparently the public feels like Axl hasn't given enough to knock their old associations of GNR and Slash.

Remember though, like myself, GNR is a band synonymous with their youth. Youth, and its nostalgic influence, is a powerful force. Slash is always going to be part of my association with GNR as it was his playing, along with Axl's voice and piano playing, that had such a profound effect on my musical identity when I was young. I think for a lot of newer fans who weren't into GNR when they were younger (or weren't old enough to know of or appreciation GNR in its classic formation) have an easier time associating GNR without Slash's iconic look and sound. It's a contextual issue that I think is lost on most people. So I understand why people like Volcano and others who weren't big on GNR's formative years disparage the classic lineup like they do, but they ultimately fail to understand why others like myself substantiate guys like Slash, Izzy and Duff on a much higher level than they do.

Some bands, when drastic change is forced upon them, decide to end it simply because they feel like what they lost was too instrumental to continue without it. Look at Zeppelin, without Bonham's drums the band felt it just wouldn't be the same and decided to end it. Axl obviously felt differently with respect to GNR and Slash's departure. It's a tall order to fill on his part and some respect is deserved in attempting something so ambitious and what many would consider a fool's errand. Like I mentioned earlier, had Axl been able to hold on to Buckethead and produced a meaningful body of work I think he might have been able to achieve what he envisioned when he decided to regroup back in 1996 and 1997 with Slash and Duff's departure. Since that didn't happen and the man is now past the half-century mark, it doesn't seem like he'll ever escape Slash's shadow in the public's eye.

Cheers,

Andrew

Post of the decade.

I've watched the vid numerous times just to make sure I'm not missing something. How the hell can u say Slash embarrassed himself here? He just played tastefully and respectfully along to La Grange. Lolcano, your hate for Slash is far too much. You can't even look at a vid and interpret it properly. There's no way you can be a legit poster. You need to be someone elses' alias just to stir shit. Probably MSL...

Like I said. Slash played great, and then Mayer played great. If you think Slash embarrassed himself and Mayer schooled him, you're off the planet. For real.

LOL i'm MSL? last year I was sailaway :rolleyes:

You ltitle cupcakes never cease to amaze me.

I still think Slash sounds like shit compared to Mayer but that's just my opinion...I’ve only been playing guitar for over 15 years but what do I know?

And downzy thanks for talking to time to post intelligently even though you tried to insult me. Correct about the Mike phelps comparison but this aint the first time Slash stunk up the joint. (see his Beat it solo :rofl-lol: )

i think axl was happy to have an iconic guitarist, so long as the iconic guitarist was happy to put up with all of axl's bullshit.

but now that axl's washed up and fat and can't sing like he used to, there's no way an iconic guitarist is going to be willing to put up with his shit. hell, even third rate studio musicians like robin finck can't stomach him any more.

Ah, it's so refreshing to see the Axl haters show their true colors and not mask all their hate with some phony, high minded drivel....

Right...I thought crap like this was not aloud on the forums?

so what's your theory as to why axl can't seem to get a real iconic guitar player in his band? if gnr is such a beloved outfit and axl is so respected and celebrated, then how come no iconic guitarist seem to want to be in his band?

no, i don't consider the guitarist for motley crue's bass player's solo career to be "iconic."

Cheers,

Andrew

Post of the decade.

LOL i'm MSL? last year I was sailaway :rolleyes:

You ltitle cupcakes never cease to amaze me.

I still think Slash sounds like shit compared to Mayer but that's just my opinion...I’ve only been playing guitar for over 15 years but what do I know?

And downzy thanks for talking to time to post intelligently even though you tried to insult me. Correct about the Mike phelps comparison but this aint the first time Slash stunk up the joint. (see his Beat it solo :rofl-lol: )

Right...I thought crap like this was not aloud on the forums?

Lolcano, you are not a guitarist. If you believe mayer schooled Slash in this vid, you are not a fking guitarist. I've been playing for longer than you (supposedly). There's only two possibilities here:

a). You are an Axlbot full of Slash hate and choose to bash Slash at every opportunity you get.

b ) You're the worst guitarist in the world, with no fking ear for music at all.

I call the first option.

Mayer is a great guitarist, so is Slash. That is the end of it. Anything else is just Axlbot hate.

Edited by Peter Shneck

so what's your theory as to why axl can't seem to get a real iconic guitar player in his band? if gnr is such a beloved outfit and axl is so respected and celebrated, then how come no iconic guitarist seem to want to be in his band?

no, i don't consider the guitarist for motley crue's bass player's solo career to be "iconic."

Why does Axl need an "iconic" guitar player? I find he has the perfect guys handling the guitar parts. They are much more profesionnal and technically gifted than Slash...that must count for something?

Since we're on the subject of Icons, why can't Slash find an iconic singer? (he had one in Scott and blew it)

Cheers,

Andrew

EPIC POST. :thumbsup:

Why does Axl need an "iconic" guitar player? I find he has the perfect guys handling the guitar parts. They are much more profesionnal and technically gifted than Slash...that must count for something?

Since we're on the subject of Icons, why can't Slash find an iconic singer? (he had one in Scott and blew it)

DJ Ashba is technically more gifted than Slash?

Lolcano, this is beyond a fking joke now.

DJ Ashba™ is technically more gifted than Slash?

Indeed.

Mi Amor / BOD > godfather solo (Slash can't even play it right anymore lol And how many years has he been playing it?)

totally agree that slash needs an iconic singer. and some real songwriters.

Yep he has a lot of potential if surrounded by great song writers.

I have come to the conclusión that volcano is officially retarded. Have your head checked buddy. Or get a job or laid. This Axl and Ashba crush you have is not healthy. Tell your mom to clean the basement and while she's at it go see a shrink.

:rofl-lol:

I have come to the conclusión that volcano is officially retarded. Have your head checked buddy. Or get a job or laid. This Axl and Ashba crush you have is not healthy. Tell your mom to clean the basement and while she's at it go see a shrink.

:rofl-lol:

Ooohhh how clever and witty :rofl-lol:

I'm at work right now and im married with 3 kids (I don't think i need to get laid anymore :tongue2: )

You call it a crush I call it supporting my favorite band especially with bitter ex-fans and cupcakes like yourself.

EPIC FAIL. :kiss:

Indeed.

Mi Amor / BOD > godfather solo (Slash can't even play it right anymore lol And how many years has he been playing it?)

Lolcano, you are literally fucked in the head and retarded. That's all I'm going to bother to write. This has to be a cupcake. Ashba makes more mistakes live in one show that Slash has ever made in his entire career, doped out of his mind.

DJ Ashba better than Slash..... LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you have fking problems mate.

Seems like the floodgates opened with this thread and the most ridiculous of the ridiculous Slash haters came into the light

But it's ok for Axl and GNR haters to run their mouths freely? Seriously? This is some fucked up shit.

This is a GNR fan forum after all not a Slash fan forum.

Definitely a double-edged sword. If Slash had retained the GnR name, we'd be getting the usual typical hipster blues cock rock under the GnR banner.

Good for Axl- dare to be different. Slash is an iconic player, yes, but his drugs came before his instrument and that's why he didn't really grow as a musician. I mean, don't get me wrong, I miss his right-handed picking technique and his phrasing on the legato passages in GnR songs, but when it comes to creativity, he's mining a popular well.

Axl made the unpopular decision to carry on with GnR. And despite all the naysayers making up lies that Axl is so insulated he doesn't know what he's doing, the truth is Axl knows exactly what he's doing. And if you don't like it, fuck you have a nice day.

Remember something, it's a double edged sword for Slash too. Whoops. You know it has to sting to have given up the very thing that defines your existence. Hmm.

Indeed.

Lolcano, you are literally fucked in the head and retarded. That's all I'm going to bother to write. This has to be a cupcake. Ashba makes more mistakes live in one show that Slash has ever made in his entire career, doped out of his mind.

DJ Ashba™ better than Slash..... LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you have fking problems mate.

Maybe you should stop acting like a little infant and respect other peoples opinions.

Seems like the floodgates opened with this thread and the most ridiculous of the ridiculous Slash haters came into the light

But it's ok for Axl and GNR haters to run their mouths freely? Seriously? This is some fucked up shit.

This is a GNR fan forum after all not a Slash fan forum.

Well everyone should be treated with respect. Set the example then if you don't like the "Axl haters -" don't stoop to their level like you have with the posts in this thread, because that renders your complains useless if you become the same entity you are complaining about. And I don't know what to tell you, Slash will forever be a topic talked about so maybe just not click on those threads and if they are in the wrong section report them to the mods?