Can one of our "GnR-insiders" tell us how many albums GnR owe the label?

Subtle Signs

All i remember is that the when the label released the GH it was considered part of the deal (even if Axl and the guys didnt wanted it out)

i would like to know too.

From what I remember reading, it's 2 more, right? Not sure if label is interested, though... :(

If Geffen wanted to dump GNR from the label, they could just take the audio from both discs of the Tokyo DVD's and make CD/digital albums.

Kinda off topic but Geffen should force GnR to release a live album. 4 years of touring and no live album is kind of a waste...

This is a bit off topic but I didnt want to make a thread about it. Do Robin/Paul/Bucket get royalties for CD? Even though Bucket wasn't under contract when it was released does he get royalties for helping write the songs? Same with Paul?

The only people that receive royalties are people with song writing credits. So yes they receive royalties from album sales, radio play, commercial usage of songs etc. as long as the song being used they have a writing credit for. for an album sale they will receive a percentage based on their writing credit im sure. For example Axl would receive royalties for everything since he has writing credits for all songs.

Duff had said in the book GNR had a contract with Geffen for 6 albums. ChiDem was the sixth. Greatest Hits and Live don't count.

"We'll be putting out new stuff as soon as we can figure out what our deal is with labels, blah blah blah." - Axl

Record companies have cut bands loose when they were dead weight or there was some shakeup going on, but what really sucks is if the band had recorded and finished the album during that time? The record company still owned it. There's websites about unreleased albums the record company put on the shelf indefinitely, or the band eventually wound up with a good lawyer or someone from within worked on getting the band the music.

It's amazing that, in this day and age, we can't get one goddamn piece of information about this, from anybody. If the record company doesn't want to release anything else, they should drop them. I don't believe it's true, there is still money to be made from the Chinese sessions and the higher-ups at all record companies care about one thing and one thing only, in the end: Money.

Once we get this figured out, hopefully the GNR insiders can then get to work on digging up more info on the foot powder question.

It's amazing that, in this day and age, we can't get one goddamn piece of information about this, from anybody. If the record company doesn't want to release anything else, they should drop them. I don't believe it's true, there is still money to be made from the Chinese sessions and the higher-ups at all record companies care about one thing and one thing only, in the end: Money.

Once we get this figured out, hopefully the GNR insiders can then get to work on digging up more info on the foot powder question.

Axl's not going to push all that hard for a new recording contract with a major label.

I don't think Axl is naive enough to think he can hold a second album over a record label as a bargaining chip like they did with CD. What I can't understand, is take a look around the music world, and realize the amount of pure crap that is released every week, and I'm talking stuff that doesn't even have a snowball's chance of selling as many as a new GNR record would in it's first week. I have no huge expectations that a new album would sell a million copies in it's first week or anything, but I think with the right single, and a record label backing them up with the right promotion, they could pull a rabbit out of a hat and very realistically sell more copies than they did with CD. CD was an entirely weird, freak circumstance, Axl blames the label for all the trouble, the label blames Axl for all the trouble, it was like they were at a stalemate in a game of chess. In a world where anyone that wants to can put out an album (heck, Lita Ford just put out a new album!!), I don't see any legit reason GNR can't, and it not be halfway successful. It's all a giant mystery to me...

"We'll be putting out new stuff as soon as we can figure out what our deal is with labels, blah blah blah." - Axl

Hate that quote. He makes it sound like such a chore to put out music. You don't get it Rose, you don't get it.

Saw your avatar on Letterman last night, I think he's on Fallon tonight. Took longer than usual to make the late night rounds.

But actually from that quote it sounds like the songs are ready, it's just there's a no deal with the label yet.

So ball is in the labels court.

But that's just my interpretation of one quote.

Van Halen didn't get their record deal until the songs were finished. VH is another band that talked about Ed always being in the studio for the past decade coming up with new songs, but from what Hagar said, it's scraps of solos and jams with Alex, most of it's unusable. I'm sure Wolf has enough in Ed's solos to keep putting "new" Van Halen music out if Ed couldn't play anymore.

I don't think Axl is naive enough to think he can hold a second album over a record label as a bargaining chip like they did with CD. What I can't understand, is take a look around the music world, and realize the amount of pure crap that is released every week, and I'm talking stuff that doesn't even have a snowball's chance of selling as many as a new GNR record would in it's first week. I have no huge expectations that a new album would sell a million copies in it's first week or anything, but I think with the right single, and a record label backing them up with the right promotion, they could pull a rabbit out of a hat and very realistically sell more copies than they did with CD. CD was an entirely weird, freak circumstance, Axl blames the label for all the trouble, the label blames Axl for all the trouble, it was like they were at a stalemate in a game of chess. In a world where anyone that wants to can put out an album (heck, Lita Ford just put out a new album!!), I don't see any legit reason GNR can't, and it not be halfway successful. It's all a giant mystery to me...

I'm sure the label realizes that GnR is still profitable if promoted the right way. IMO take Slash and how he promoted his recent solo album. The guy went all over the world and answered all the questions. Slash did what he had to do and still only sold what 40k records the first week?? Is Axl willing to make videos? Is axl willing to travel the world to promote his baby? And at the end of the day maybe sell 200k albums in a week? I doubt it! That's the issue is Axl would have to play the game for the label to invest in the production and logistics of a new album. I feel a new album could do well but it would require promo and Axl getting out and doing some press

Would you mind speaking about your own personal experience of sorting out legal and financial issues with major record labels? Since you "get it" and Axl doesn't, surely you would have some insight to offer.

not disagreeing but why does gnr seem to have more problems in this regard than most bands?

I'm sure the label realizes that GnR is still profitable if promoted the right way. IMO take Slash and how he promoted his recent solo album. The guy went all over the world and answered all the questions. Slash did what he had to do and still only sold what 40k records the first week?? Is Axl willing to make videos? Is axl willing to travel the world to promote his baby? And at the end of the day maybe sell 200k albums in a week? I doubt it! That's the issue is Axl would have to play the game for the label to invest in the production and logistics of a new album. I feel a new album could do well but it would require promo and Axl getting out and doing some press

There's also a lot less money spent on recording sessions and videos when they're not getting the major label backing. Slash does enough festival shows and appearances to make a nice living from the road, enough in endorsement deals and royalties to maintain a rock star lifestyle. They're not clipping coupons at the Hudson house, esp. from the way Perla made it sound when she "camped" at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

But actually from that quote it sounds like the songs are ready, it's just there's a no deal with the label yet.

So ball is in the labels court.

But that's just my interpretation of one quote.

Well, a contract is an agreement between two parties. To suggest that it's only the label that matters in this arraignment is to ignore the nature of contracts. I'm sure the label would put out another Guns N' Roses record tomorrow (don't forget that they only make money off of 10-20% of bands which subsidizes the losses of all the other bands who fail to generate sales) if they could come to terms with Axl over royalty splits, costs and promotional obligations. On top of that, with the number of likely bridges burned over Chinese Democracy, I can't see any label being particularly generous to Axl and co. There's two sides to this story and both are responsible for not putting product on the shelf at this point.

And on the other side of things

Would you mind speaking about your own personal experience of sorting out legal and financial issues with major record labels? Since you "get it" and Axl doesn't, surely you would have some insight to offer.

not disagreeing but why does gnr seem to have more problems in this regard than most bands?

because most bands get completely fucked by their labels and are too stupid or too desperate to stop it.

MSL speaks a lot of truth in that most bands get the shit end of the stick when it comes to recouping sales revenues. Axl's been in the game long enough to know how it works and likely wants nothing to do with label's usual greedy ways. It's a stalemate, one that likely occurred prior to Chinese Democracy's release before Azoff was able to bridge the impasse with the Best Buy deal.

It may be awhile as I'm of the belief that neither side wants the other to feel like they've won. Axl likely has a burning hatred towards all things record labels and the labels likely have no inclination to prop up what they feel is a difficult and whiny individual who has done little to make their lives easy.

Unfortunately, big money and even larger egos will not yield a productive relationship. In the end, as per usual with this band, the fans are the ones who suffer.

Cheers,

Andrew

I think MSL's quote is directed at me?

Well, I could tell him to go talk to other bands and see how they do it. No one has the problems with the label Axl supposedly has. No one. None. Everyone in the industry can go in and record and can put out records. More often than not bands create together but I'm going to avoid going off into the tangent of Axl's "band" recording without him and him coming in later, though that's an example of him not "getting" how this shit works. That's what I meant, Axl doesn't get how bands are supposed to create together and he doesn't get how to deal with the label properly as at one point he had everything handed to him 10000x as much as 99% of people in the industry and STILL couldn't pull it together. If that's your idea of a dude "getting" it than... well there's no point in discussing this further. There isn't anyway, you're MSL. So is it really the label holding him back or is it Axl is just being unreasonable/lazy/scared/uncreative? The answer is obvious but expect MSL to write me a 5 paragraph response about how I'm so factually incorrect, spreading lies, making stuff up, etc etc etc.

It's pretty simple, really.

Slash and Duff would probably need to sign off on it- but the best scenario IMHO would be to release a "Best of" GN'R cd with an "A-list" track or two from the new band as bonus tracks at the end or whatever...

Old band makes $$$

Axl makes $$$

Record label makes $$$

New band gets some great promotion/exposure