Paris 92 Blu-Ray

RussTCB

Does anyone have the Paris 92 blu-ray?

I'm very curious about the a/v quality but I don't want to just spend $30+ without getting opinions.

I've got a copy but I'll have to rewatch it coz I can't remember what the quality of picture and sound was like. I'll let you know.

Ok great.

The only one I've got so far is California 06, but that was fan shot. But it's still great quality. It would just be cool to see/hear Paris in the best possible quality.

Given how old Paris is and combined with the fact that it obviously wasn't filmed in HD, I can't imagine it would be worthwhile tracking down a Blu Ray version...

I've heard conflicting reports on whether Paris 92 was filmed or video taped. The original broadcast was obviously sent out at 480i or lower, but some have claimed that the show itself was filmed and that's what the blu ray is sourced from. I've never seen so much as a sample snippet or anything so that's why I'm asking those who may have it or at least watched it.

I would suggest you to download the DVD and activate the 3D enhancement from your video card. That helped me to get some crazy quality from the hundreds of bootlegs I own. Then plug-in your laptop to your big LED TV using an HDMI cable and enjoy the show.

Russ I watched some of it again today. It's obviously nothing like the quality of an officially released bluray that you would buy in the shop today.

However, it is the best quality version of this concert you will find. In some audio there are some patches where they have used different audio sources to fill in bits that were obviously shit on the original recording and this is noticeable. The picture is definitely not like the bluray we know today but I would say it appears slightly better than the old VHS to DVD versions that I have.

The other positives are that it is all one the one disc as opposed to the DVD's that are on 2. It also has extra features like the Paris rehearsal footage. Plus if you are anything like me, I like to have the highest quality version of a concert possible and fuck all the others.

It wasn't filmed, it was videotaped. And while it may have been sent out in 480i, a VHS tape is only 200i, so that's the max the blu-ray can be, 200i which isn't too good. The only advantage over a dvd would be less digital artifacts...

I asked some of the more technical questions to Limulus since he worked on the bluray. This was the response:

52 x 288 = VHS PAL (interlaced)

720x576 = DVD PAL (interlaced)

Blu-Ray = much higher but also progressiv (better)

Basically it wouldnt make sense to capture a low resolution vhs in high end definiton BluRay format, yeah....it'd be just blown up stuff out of very low source footage.....kinda converting a very low mp3-file to some 24bit/192khz audio or so. but thats not what we made with Paris92. we took the best looking vhs (pal) source and captured it in dvd pal resolution 720x576, thats what about every converting is goin to do from vhs: capturing into dvd resolution to have it on dvd....little blown up = yes, but still the best to do these days for watching on external dvd players on tv. the trick with paris was also to capture it in dvd format (not BluRay format) but encode it with much higher video bitrates than dvd can handle, a friend of mine found out back then that you can put DVD files onto BluRay media but with higher video bitrates (basic thoughts: higher video bitrates = less digital artifacts in picture), so thats what we have there: a dvd resolution with so high video bitrates dvd media cant handle, but on one Blu-Ray disc. another point was to have the whole show on ONE single media disc with LPCM audio.....and only Blu-Ray could do it.

on the downside it turned out that video bitrates higher than lets say 9000 cant even give better quality out of vhs sources...at least thats what some eyes told/compared (myself included)....but its cool to have a 160min show (with bonus) on one disc in high quality, i guess that was worth it in the end. cant find it originally right now but part of the source info is here:

INFO / Sources and Transfers

Video - The Show (151:01min / 13,7gb):

TV ("Veronica TV" June 06, 1992) -> unknown vcr -> dutch PAL VHS Master (mono) [Jarl's brother] -> JVC HR-S9600eu (Playback)

-> StraightWire Mega-HDS (SVHS out/in) -> DV/PC

some intro mixed in from:

TV ("Premiere" June 06, 1992) -> unknown vcr -> german PPV PAL VHS Master (stereo) (TDK HIFI (Extra High Grade) 180 [sP Modus] [Limulus])

-> JVC HR-S9600eu (Playback) -> StraightWire Mega-HDS (SVHS out/in) -> DV/PC

editing:

Video centering / 4x black border adding / (NO colour editing!) / 2pass encoding @

Maximum: 27850

Average: 13000

Minimum: 11000

result (Bitrate Viewer Version 1.5.054):

Peak: 16546

Average: 12688

Audio (LPCM):

#beginning before the intro: dutch PAL VHS Master (mono) [Jarl's brother]

#main parts: TV ("Premiere" June 06, 1992) -> unknown vcr -> german PPV PAL VHS Master (TDK HIFI (Extra High Grade) 180 [sP Modus] [Limulus])

-> JVC HR-S9600eu (Playback) -> SONY DAT TCD-D7 -> POC-DA12p (optical cable) -> PC/WAV -> dED

+

#Westwood One stereo silvers -> EAC (secure, offset corrected) -> WAV/PC -> dED

[LALD, Always On The Run, Piano Intro/Its Alright, Blues Jam, Godfather-Theme, Don't Cry]

+

#circulating stereo 2DVD-R (JM7 -> AC3 -> WAV -> dED

[bad Obsession; DTJ (3/4), Train Kept A Rollin', Outro (last part)]

basically there has never been a complete perfect stereo source circulating from this show.

this stereo VHS source has the best sound overall but also suffers from lots of trouble, the main trouble parts have been edited out by

using the other 2 stereo sources (though the Westwood One being some weak quality, the other one being some lossy).

however the final audio is nice stereo in general but still has lots of small trouble.

Russ I watched some of it again today. It's obviously nothing like the quality of an officially released bluray that you would buy in the shop today.

However, it is the best quality version of this concert you will find. In some audio there are some patches where they have used different audio sources to fill in bits that were obviously shit on the original recording and this is noticeable. The picture is definitely not like the bluray we know today but I would say it appears slightly better than the old VHS to DVD versions that I have.

The other positives are that it is all one the one disc as opposed to the DVD's that are on 2. It also has extra features like the Paris rehearsal footage. Plus if you are anything like me, I like to have the highest quality version of a concert possible and fuck all the others.

It wasn't filmed, it was videotaped. And while it may have been sent out in 480i, a VHS tape is only 200i, so that's the max the blu-ray can be, 200i which isn't too good. The only advantage over a dvd would be less digital artifacts...

I asked some of the more technical questions to Limulus since he worked on the bluray. This was the response:

52 x 288 = VHS PAL (interlaced)

720x576 = DVD PAL (interlaced)

Blu-Ray = much higher but also progressiv (better)

Basically it wouldnt make sense to capture a low resolution vhs in high end definiton BluRay format, yeah....it'd be just blown up stuff out of very low source footage.....kinda converting a very low mp3-file to some 24bit/192khz audio or so. but thats not what we made with Paris92. we took the best looking vhs (pal) source and captured it in dvd pal resolution 720x576, thats what about every converting is goin to do from vhs: capturing into dvd resolution to have it on dvd....little blown up = yes, but still the best to do these days for watching on external dvd players on tv. the trick with paris was also to capture it in dvd format (not BluRay format) but encode it with much higher video bitrates than dvd can handle, a friend of mine found out back then that you can put DVD files onto BluRay media but with higher video bitrates (basic thoughts: higher video bitrates = less digital artifacts in picture), so thats what we have there: a dvd resolution with so high video bitrates dvd media cant handle, but on one Blu-Ray disc. another point was to have the whole show on ONE single media disc with LPCM audio.....and only Blu-Ray could do it.

on the downside it turned out that video bitrates higher than lets say 9000 cant even give better quality out of vhs sources...at least thats what some eyes told/compared (myself included)....but its cool to have a 160min show (with bonus) on one disc in high quality, i guess that was worth it in the end. cant find it originally right now but part of the source info is here:

INFO / Sources and Transfers

Video - The Show (151:01min / 13,7gb):

TV ("Veronica TV" June 06, 1992) -> unknown vcr -> dutch PAL VHS Master (mono) [Jarl's brother] -> JVC HR-S9600eu (Playback)

-> StraightWire Mega-HDS (SVHS out/in) -> DV/PC

some intro mixed in from:

TV ("Premiere" June 06, 1992) -> unknown vcr -> german PPV PAL VHS Master (stereo) (TDK HIFI (Extra High Grade) 180 [sP Modus] [Limulus])

-> JVC HR-S9600eu (Playback) -> StraightWire Mega-HDS (SVHS out/in) -> DV/PC

editing:

Video centering / 4x black border adding / (NO colour editing!) / 2pass encoding @

Maximum: 27850

Average: 13000

Minimum: 11000

result (Bitrate Viewer Version 1.5.054):

Peak: 16546

Average: 12688

Audio (LPCM):

#beginning before the intro: dutch PAL VHS Master (mono) [Jarl's brother]

#main parts: TV ("Premiere" June 06, 1992) -> unknown vcr -> german PPV PAL VHS Master (TDK HIFI (Extra High Grade) 180 [sP Modus] [Limulus])

-> JVC HR-S9600eu (Playback) -> SONY DAT TCD-D7 -> POC-DA12p (optical cable) -> PC/WAV -> dED

+

#Westwood One stereo silvers -> EAC (secure, offset corrected) -> WAV/PC -> dED

[LALD, Always On The Run, Piano Intro/Its Alright, Blues Jam, Godfather-Theme, Don't Cry]

+

#circulating stereo 2DVD-R (JM7 -> AC3 -> WAV -> dED

[bad Obsession; DTJ (3/4), Train Kept A Rollin', Outro (last part)]

basically there has never been a complete perfect stereo source circulating from this show.

this stereo VHS source has the best sound overall but also suffers from lots of trouble, the main trouble parts have been edited out by

using the other 2 stereo sources (though the Westwood One being some weak quality, the other one being some lossy).

however the final audio is nice stereo in general but still has lots of small trouble.

Very nice. Thank you for all of that info.

I'll probably get this for myself. Just need to track down a good place to get it for a reasonable price.

• 2 months later...

a have the paris on dvd i rember watching the orignial one and watching it on sky ma dad paid for it and a taped it but u dont have video players now so i bought the dvd from ebay its okay though not that brill.

I've had the DVD for years. It's the blu-ray I'm looking for.